ronvp
Go to solution Solved by ronvp,

After the one of the latest server updates(not sure which one), I lost all of my Genres in the Metadata editor. They are still in the Movie.xml file, just not in the metadata editor..

No, but let me run a manual one

Media scan ran pretty quick, still no Genres, I tried a single movie manual refresh, then Genres get wiped out of the movie.xml file

It sounds to me like you have configured Genre Cleaner to remove most of your genres.

Post a screen shot of the configuration page for Genre Cleaner.

Here is a part of the log, looks like genre cleaner is removing the genres

2013-12-20 17:27:43.9648, Debug, ProviderManager, Running MovieGenreCleaner for \\server\\Movies\300 (2006)\300 (2006).mp4
2013-12-20 17:27:43.9648, Info, GenreCleaner, Genre 'Action,Fantasy,War' removed from metadata for 300.

Just did another test, if I use the metadata manager to manually add a Genre, it is added correctly and then with a manual metadata refresh for that same movie it is removed by what appears to be genre manager (see extract from log below). What is strange is that the genres that are listed as "removed" were not there at all. I actually added Genre "3D movie", and I inspected the movie.xml file to confirm it was there. Then when I run a manual refresh, it actually says it removed 'Action & Adventure'. but after the manual refresh, there are no genres whatsoever in the movie.xml file.

2013-12-20 17:35:01.4842, Debug, ProviderManager, Running MovieGenreCleaner for \\server\Movies\Avatar (2009) [hsbs]\Avatar (2009) [hsbs].mp4
2013-12-20 17:35:01.4842, Info, GenreCleaner, Genre 'Action & Adventure' removed from metadata for Avatar.

EBR, till recently it has been working just fine...and the tool clearly says ".... from any source will be discarded..." it does not say removed or deleted.. Also, if the tool is now removing the genres from the movie XML file, I can not easily alter the mapping and it kinda defeats the purpose..

Here is a screen shot..

52b5b358b77a9_Untitled.jpg

Nothing has changed recently with how this plug-in works.  Looking at your setup, it looks like it is working as designed.  If you add a new genre you want to be valid in your metadata, then you are going to have to also tell Genre Cleaner about it.  You can easily add a new allowed genre to the list.  Just hit that Plus button at the top (just like everywhere else in the dashboard).

Please let me know if you find it is removing something it shouldn't.

discard 

[v. dih-skahrdn. dis-kahrd]  Show IPA
verbs 3 nouns 3
verb (used with object)
to cast aside or dispose of; get rid of:

EBR, something is definitely wrong, I just added several existing Genres (3D Movie, Action, Drama) to a movie and when I click save it is added, and after a refresh they are removed again.. The Genre tool, should really just map and not delete genres, unless they are specifically deleted..

Nothing has changed recently with how this plug-in works.  Looking at your setup, it looks like it is working as designed.  If you add a new genre you want to be valid in your metadata, then you are going to have to also tell Genre Cleaner about it.  You can easily add a new allowed genre to the list.  Just hit that Plus button at the top (just like everywhere else in the dashboard).

Please let me know if you find it is removing something it shouldn't.

discard 

[v. dih-skahrdn. dis-kahrd]  Show IPA
verbs 3 nouns 3
verb (used with object)

to cast aside or dispose of; get rid of:

Thanks for the English lesson, have you looked up arrogant!

Right now it does not work a designed.. Add any of the listed genres i.e.: "Action" , then click save, select a other movie, inspect the movie.xml. The genre is there, then go back to the movie and hit refresh and the genre is removed.. It happens with any genre.

Okay, so you added "3D Movie" as a genre in a movie, and that is a genre listed as one to be allowed by Genre Cleaner but it removed it anyway?  Is this what you are saying?

If so, please link to or attach an entire server log from that process.  Thanks.

Oh wait a minute - you have internet metadata enabled?  And you are manually adding something to your metadata and then telling it to force refresh it?

If so, then that isn't genre cleaner - that is the normal system.  By doing that, you are asking the system to refresh your metadata from the source.  This will remove any modifications you made, unless you lock them.

I really did not do anything (except for adding or removing a Genre from just a few movies). al lI did was install the genre cleaner, mapped the genres and it was all good, then after a update, my genres disappeared.

So I tried to see what was causing this and added some genres through the Metadata editor and then did a refresh;  I then noticed that any and all genres are removed from the xml file. Including those that are listed in the Genre cleaner. Thus effectively having no Genres at all.

Since this appears to be by design, I suggest for the Genre cleaner to disable the genre metadata pulling from the web.

I just uninstalled the Genre cleaner and did a refresh and all genres are now pulled correctly from the web. I have disabled the global Genres metadata provider and I will now re-install Genre cleaner and try the mapping again. Is this all I need to do to make it work?

This does not work, I disabled the global metadata provider for Genres and after re-installing the Genre cleaner, all my Genres are disappearing again. Do I need to disable the genre metadata provider for each movie separately?

This does not work, I disabled the global metadata provider for Genres and after re-installing the Genre cleaner, all my Genres are disappearing again. Do I need to disable the genre metadata provider for each movie separately?

Can I reset the Genre tool to force a re-scan without doing any cleaning?

Sorry for keep driving this, but for the genres in general, why does MB show the genres in Groups i.e: If I have a movie that falls within 3 Genres (War, Drama,Politics), Should it not be shown as 3 separate genres?

The Genre tool shows the 3 different Genres as a single Genre (War,Drama,Politics). Should it not show the 3 Genres separately?

The same is true in the actual clients, you get a bunch of "extra" genres because each the Genres are shown as a group..

because that's how it is in your metadata. 

Luke, I realize that that is how it is pulled from the web, but why not parse the comma separated string? and break it out in different genres, Either when the Metadata is pulled from the web or when the server reads from the xml file. (First option is probably faster overall).

Also, If I have a movie that pulls "War,Crime,Drama") as a single genre from the web, and MB does not parse that as 3 separate genres, then I should be able to use the Genre cleaner to Map this to 3 different Genres, but that is not possible, After I map it to Say "War", I can not map it again to the others.

I am not sure I can help but here goes...

When you link a genre in the Genre Cleaner Plugin it puts the linked Genres in brackets ().

For example for TV I have Music & Musical linked which looks like this: "Music (Musical)"

According to your screenshot you have War, War & Politics, Adventure, Drama, War which looks like this:

"War (War & Politics, Adventure, Drama, War)"

I see two major problems with this:

1. You already have the Adventure genre set as follows "Adventure ( Adventure)" note the preceding space
    This seems like a conflict to me as the cleaner is trying to merge adventure under both the Adventure and War genres.
    I have no idea if this is normal but if it isn't it may be the cause of your issue.
  2. War is listed twice and there is nothing unique about either - same spelling, capitalization and no preceding space.

The act of forcing a refresh (the "Refresh Metadata" button) on a movie with internet metadata enabled and nothing disabled under Metadata > Advanced means that you want to replace all the metadata for that movie with what is currently on TMDB. This will wipe your custom genres.

Seeing as you only have a few movies that you manually set genres for and your Genre Cleaner looks pretty messed up at the moment I would do the following:

1. Reset the Genre Cleaner. I am not sure how to do this but @@ebr or @@Luke will be able to tell you if this is a good idea and how to do it.
  2. Do a full metadata refresh for all your movies from the internet (TMDB). I only have about 800 movies so maybe that is not enough to be exposed to some of the inconsistencies in the TMDB metadata but yours are far worse than mine - I don't have any movie genres to merge.
  3. Once you have that done manually set the genres for the handful of movies you want to set using the MBS Metadata Manager. Make sure you manually turn off overwriting the genre by scrolling down to the bottom and turning genres to "off" for each of the movies you don't want changed. This will stop Genres being overwritten when you click "Refresh Metadata"
Edited by cylon
  • Like 1

I just had a bit more of a think about what you are trying to do.

Are you trying to merge multiple genres into the one genre title?

If so you need to use a different delimiter as MBS uses a comma. I think semicolons are also used by MBS so maybe use a hyphen or underscore.

If not then your genres are really messed up and you should just wipe them and start again as per my above post.

Here is a bit of a 101 on how genres are laid out in the metadata file:

<Genres>
    <Genre>Adventure</Genre>
    <Genre>Drama</Genre>
    <Genre>War</Genre>
  </Genres>

They should not look like this (what I assume at least one of your movies look like):

<Genres>
    <Genre>Adventure, Drama, War</Genre>
  </Genres>

• Like 1

Here is a bit of a 101 on how genres are laid out in the metadata file:

<Genres>

<Genre>Adventure</Genre>

<Genre>Drama</Genre>

<Genre>War</Genre>

</Genres>

They should not look like this (what I assume at least one of your movies look like):

<Genres>

<Genre>Adventure, Drama, War</Genre>

</Genres>

I realize that, but I have no control over how they are pulled from the web.. Also, it is not just a few movies. without being able to map the genres and MB showing them in groups, the genre view just does not work very well. All I need is about 15 Genres, right now, it is listing more than 60..

We do and we have ways of specifying multiple genres. But it sounds like either a provider or your XML is stuffing multiple genres into a single genre field. Don't shoot us over bad data.

Luke, I am using only the scrapers from MB. I looked over lots of movies and many have the bad genre issue..