Dish Hopper 3/Joey 4K - Joey 2.0 Carbon UI Profile

jsaxon2

The new Dish Network Hopper H3 only seems to support mkv for direct play. I think it will also be this way on the Hopper With Sling once it gets the new Carbon UI. I have created a new profile that is working and plays all videos. Most of my movies were mp4 and are now transcoded but at least they are playing. Also, the new identifier/User-Agent is ZiP.  Not sure if there is anything that can be tweaked, but thought I'd share to at least get it started.

EDIT:

Since the Hopper 3 was updated to version 308, the standard Dish Hopper profile works with adding the User-Agent:ZiP You should be able to add this to the system profile so we do not need a custom one anymore. I have left the other profile, Dish Hopper_HWS_CUI.xml  for those that are still on the Hopper W/Sling and Carbon UI. Dish has not been updated yet and will still need the custom profile.

Dish Hopper_HWS_CUI.xml

Dish Hopper3-4k-Joey_308.xml

Edited by jsaxon2
  • Like 2

the only problem with this xml is that it uses the same detection as our current profile. are you really sure it doesn't support plain old mp4? i would question that. to this point i have never seen a device that supports mkv but not mp4.

the only problem with this xml is that it uses the same detection as our current profile. are you really sure it doesn't support plain old mp4? i would question that. to this point i have never seen a device that supports mkv but not mp4.

Yes, currently the New Hopper 3 and Joey's do not support mp4. This is what I have read and also what I have found in my testing. It looks as though it only supports m2ts and mkv. As far as the detection, I'm not really sure what to do about it as even the Hopper W/Sling and older Joey's only support mkv/m2ts with the new Carbon UI installed. Hopefully dish releases an update to support mp4 as it did with the old UI, but currently, we have what we have. I'm not sure if there is a difference in the User-Agent between the Carbon UI and the old UI, but I think that would be what is needed. I don't have the old UI to check the string and never looked at it before, as it worked without changing the profile.

All of my movies are mp4 and a couple mkv. With this profile, I can play all of them but with the standard profile, I could only play the mkv movies.

Link to another users findings as far as formats supported http://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/posts/3821812/

Let me know if there is anything else I can get or test for you. I love Emby.

Happy2Play

So is the protocolinfo from the previous profile?  Can you use a tool like Device Spy and get the protocol information for the new device?

Have you tried changing the response profile for mp4 to mkv (video/mkv)?

• Like 1

So is the protocolinfo from the previous profile?  Can you use a tool like Device Spy and get the protocol information for the new device?

Have you tried changing the response profile for mp4 to mkv (video/mkv)?

I'll try your suggestion for the response file tonight when I get home. As for the protocol information, I don't know what the old hopper was or what it is on the new Carbon UI. I'll check the protocol information from the Hopper 3 and post results later. We would need to find something to differentiate the old hopper w/sling on the old UI vs the old hopper w/sling on the new carbon ui. I don't have the box, so I can't get that. Sorry.

GIJosh1516

Just wanted to say thank you jsaxon2.....I just upgraded to the Hopper3/Joey2 setup and was livid as I had just wrapped re-encoding my library to MP4 and getting it as user friendly for my kids as possible, then it all stopped.....your profile works great with the new Dish gear.

Thanks all!

Took a little bit, but here are the results from device spy:

Hopper 3

Device icon None
Device URN urn:schemas-echostar-com:device:EchoStarDevice:1
Embedded devices 0
Expiration timeout 1800
Friendly name Living Room
Has presentation False
Interface to host 192.168.x.x
Manufacturer Echostar Technologies
Manufacturer URL http://www.echostar.com/
Model description ZiP Hopper
Model name XiP813
Model number ZiP1018
Presentation URL
Product code 123456789012
Proprietary type
Remote endpoint 192.168.x.x:49310
Serial number Rxxx
Services 2
Standard type
Unique device name 482e8dac-7fad-11df-afb7-740049f1cba0
Version 1.0

4K Joey
Device icon None
Embedded devices 0
Expiration timeout 1800
Friendly name Master Bedroom
Has presentation False
Model description 4K Joey
Model name XiP110
Model number ZiP110
Presentation URL
Proprietary type
Serial number Rxxx
Services 2
Standard type
Unique device name 482e8dac-7fad-11df-afb7-71f133eccba0
Version 1.0

Joey 2.0

Device icon None
Embedded devices 0
Expiration timeout 1800
Friendly name Bedroom 2
Has presentation False
Model description Joey
Model name XiP110
Model number XiP110RC
Presentation URL
Proprietary type
Serial number Rxxx
Services 2
Standard type
Unique device name 482e8dac-7fad-11df-afb7-7165a8e9cba0
Version 1.0
Edited by jsaxon2

• 1 month later...
jsaxon2

Updated profile in the original post. Hopper 3 now works with standard profile if you add the User-Agent:ZiP to the identification string.

• Like 1

jsaxon2

The Dish Hopper_HWS_CUI.xml is the original file I posted. I just renamed it. It would only be for those with a Hopper W/Sling that have updated to the Carbon UI. They have not yet received the update on the Hopper that will fix DLNA. Should not be very many of those around and I'm not sure how long until they get an update.

Anyone with a Hopper 3 can use the standard profile as long as they add the ZiP user agent identifier. Dish fixed the DLNA with software 308 on the Hopper 3. Anyone that has an H3 should have received this update around March 19th. 

Thanks. Is the other xml file obsolete now?

Edited by jsaxon2