Resuming from paused video issue

DreadManX

DreadManX

If I'm watching a video and pause it for more than a minute, when I try to resume it the audio restarts but the video never resumes.  The only way I can get video working again is to stop the video and fast forward to the point where I paused it.  

The server is a dual proc Xeon X5660  @ 2.80GHz with 96GB RAM on a RAID 6 array, so I don't think it's a resource issue.  The client is an Nvidia Shield.  My only guess is that there is something going on with trans-coding on the server end.  From what I can tell unfortunately everything is being transcoded on the server end despite the fact that the shield can handle it.

How can I troubleshoot this issue or what info can I provide to obtain assistance?

First, let's see if we can figure out why your items are transcoding.

Exactly what format are they (what is the media info in the web client detail screen)?

Are you using subtitles and what kind?

DreadManX

MKV  Paused it to let the dog out for about 3 min, tired to resume and the video froze audio continued even after several minutes (~5) the video was still frozen 

Media Info
Video
CodecH264
ProfileHigh
Level41
Resolution1280x720
Aspect ratio16:9
AnamorphicNo
InterlacedNo
Framerate29.97003
Bitrate4588 kbps
Bit depth8 bit
Pixel formatyuv420p
Ref frames5
Audio
CodecAC3
Layoutstereo
Channels2 ch
Bitrate375 kbps
Sample rate48000 khz
DefaultYes
Subtitle
CodecSRT
DefaultNo
ForcedNo
ExternalNo

Did you have the subtitles selected?

Did you disable VLC in the settings or have you changed the "Minimum resolution to attempt direct stream" setting?

DreadManX

Did you have the subtitles selected?

Did you disable VLC in the settings or have you changed the "Minimum resolution to attempt direct stream" setting?

I don't use subtitles ever.  I'm a slow reader ;) 

I haven't modified any of the default settings I just installed the app and server and left all the settings.  I did try changing the max thread count to "max" but that didn't help.  The odd thing is this file is one of the smaller video files I have at 608M it's a720 HD x264 file.  

DreadManX

Come to think of it, I think I've only seen the issue on "smaller" files under 1GB - I'll do some further testing of this theory later whenever I can squeeze in a free moment.   I have the logging set to debugging but when it happened nothing had changed in /var/log/emby-server.log

DreadManX

The Linux File command is returning that yes.

root@bigiron:/mnt/storage/video/#file *****.720p.HDTV.X264.mkv
*****.720p.HDTV.X264.mkv: Matroska data

Okay, can you go into the settings in this app and confirm the settings for:

Use VLC for playback

Max resolution to attempt direct stream

Thanks.

DreadManX

Okay, can you go into the settings in this app and confirm the settings for:

Use VLC for playback

Max resolution to attempt direct stream

Thanks.

VLC was already set, changed bw to 40Mb, the file that did lock up didn't lock up this time. I'll keep you guys posted as to if this fixes it permanently. Thanks for the help, my life time sub was well worth it :)