Question about transcoding performance

anderbytes

anderbytes

Hello.

I just need to know if it is normal when transcoding is happening (DTS inside movie), that time skip (change to a specific point in time) hangs playback and tops CPU % usage.

From what I tested...it seemed slow, not frozen, but veeeery slow, indeed.

Wireratt

During a live transcodes, if you skip forward in time ahead of whatever the cpu has already transcoded then there will be a delay.

What cpu is in your emby server machine? Transcoding is very limited by how powerful the cpu is.

Emby will only transcode slightly ahead of whats being seen on the screen whenever the "throttle" is enabled in empy.

Edited by Wireratt

anderbytes

During a live transcodes, if you skip forward in time ahead of whatever the cpu has already transcoded then there will be a delay.

What cpu is in your emby server machine? Transcoding is very limited by how powerful the cpu is.

Emby will only transcode slightly ahead of whats being seen on the screen whenever the "throttle" is enabled in empy.

I have a Intel Core i3-4130 , Dual-core... really it is terrible.

I just thought he would stop transcoding, jump to that part, and transcode from there.... without any heavy impact.

• 2 weeks later...
anderbytes

CORRECTION: Linux tells me I have 4 cores (probably hyperthreading).

@@Luke, can you tell if while transcoding and time seeking... if Emby has any trouble finding the specific part of movie?

Why the longer I try to skip, the longer it takes to come back and keep transcoding?

Why Emby can't just cancel last transcoding and restart another transcode thread beginning at the new time ?

Even with a poor CPU, I can't understand why is it recourse-heavy to "stop-here-restart-there"

Thanks.

pir8radio

The part about "Why the longer I try to skip, the longer it takes to come back and keep transcoding" makes me think of hard drive. Are these files on a network share or local drive?

anderbytes

The part about "Why the longer I try to skip, the longer it takes to come back and keep transcoding" makes me think of hard drive. Are these files on a network share or local drive?

Well... it's a streaming app for a streaming server   :-)

Everything is network. The strange part is... if that were the problem, direct play as well as transcoding would result in this strange lag.

But it only happens in Transcoding... as If Emby had to transcode the whole path until the skipped next stop.

pir8radio

my question was not that you are remotely accessing your media...   But the emby server, is it remotely accessing the media..  Does the server have to get the media from a network drive, or are the movies on the emby server.  What kind of delay are you talking...   5 mins? 5 sec?

anderbytes

Oh sorry... really understood wrong.

The server has the media locally.

Let`s say I`m watching near the 01m00s and skip to 01m30s ... it takes like 5 seconds to resume playback.

If instead I try to skip to 05m00s , it takes almost 1 minute.

When I tried to skip to 20m00s , I waited and waited and gave up on the playback...