Recordings end prematurely and are unable to be deleted

jonathanrn

jonathanrn

I have tried a few recordings this morning and all of them stopped recording prematurely and I can't figure out why. I can play some of the recordings, but not others (I just see a spinny color wheel). I also can't delete them. I keep seeing "..because it is being used by another process." in the logs. It's the default recording location. I attached the log from this morning.

Thanks!

Jonathan

Edit: I just added another log file with a slew of other error reports in it. Each error seems to be different. Hopefully it's all caused by one issue!

server-63591473539.txt

server-63591482870.txt

Edited by jonathanrn

jonathanrn

I just added another log with a bunch more Error Reports. Interestingly The Ellen DeGeneres Show recorded without any issues. Several others failed.

Jonathan

jonathanrn

Here is another example of a show recording ending early. Mythbusters from yesterday only got to 9 minutes. There are some Error Reports at that time but I can't understand them. Can anyone help me out? Here is the log. It's almost at the end of the file.

The timecode for the beginning of the recording is: 2016-02-20 20:00:03.0775

The timecode for the error is 9 minutes later at:       2016-02-20 20:08:59.9093

Seems to match up perfectly. The recording plays well enough but it's only 9 minutes long.

Thanks for your help!

server-63591523200.txt

I see you've added the recording folder both as a library and a recording destination. It's really intended to be a temporary location. It is possible that the library mechanisms are trying to read it during recording which is causing it to fail.

Try setting your recordings to save somewhere else, then moving them after they're done. You can somewhat automate this procedure under Live TV -> Settings by enabling auto-organize. This is something we'll look to improve in the future so that you can set it up as a normal library path. But for right now, it's something to be aware of.

jonathanrn

Thanks for the info. I changed the recording directory to outside of the media library directory, however, i'm still getting partial recordings. I just did a test with Thomas and Friends at 12:48pm PST and it recorded all of two seconds (an 18MB .ts file). It plays in VLC but the recording just stopped. IT's listed as an Active Recording in Emby but it won't disappear when I delete it from within the app. Here is the log. It's at the very end. I'm SO excited about Emby and it works well on all my devices (except the Amazon Fire TV Stick but I think it's a problem with the hardware -- It gets soo hot!). The last piece for me to be able to justify doing the Premiere service is getting the TV recording working consistently.

Thanks for your help!

Jonathan

server-63591696000.txt

jonathanrn

Great! It was enabled and a disabled it. I tried recording something else just now and it was working. So about 9 minutes into the show I started to watch it from within Emby. It played well, however, I think the show stopped recording at that point. I assume I am able to start watching a show while it is being recorded. Is that right?

Can you take ONE more look at this newer log file?

Thank you so much!

Jonathan

server-63591696000.txt

Right now I would avoid doing anything during the recording process that touches the file until it's done. This is an area of opportunity for improvement for us

jonathanrn

I'm still having the same issues so unfortunately I am going to have to remove the TV portion of Emby. It is everything I am looking for but it is just not 100% consistent. I've tried a few times and have followed your recommendation Luke. Thank you for your help. I'm going to still work on it but my wife needs it to work all the time and HDHR DVR has been doing that. I'm still going to use Emby to view them on my devices cause I love it! I'll get another log to you if you think that'll help ID the problem.

Jonathan