Help Walk me through Live TV Setup...

Harblar

Harblar

Ok... So getting cable onto my HTPC has always been a pain. I used to have win 7 and WMC setup for it. It worked fine for the most part, but anytime the pc locked up or did something goofy, none of my shows would end up getting recorded. Add on to that the fact that if I went more than a week or two with out actively "watching" something in WMC my cable company would drop the activation signal requiring me to call them up to get it reactivated... PITA!  After upgrading to win 10 I pretty much said to hell with it, but Now I've got my Emby (and Plex) server moved over to my unRAID server box and it got me thinking maybe I could setup my cable tuner there and then stream out to clients from there.

So, recently I build myself a brand new highend desktop/gaming rig. In doing so it also meant I got a nice upgrade to my HTPC, which in turn means I'm about to do a nice update to my unRAID build as well. Trickle down Buildonomics... Gotta love it. ;-)

Anyway here I am with my old HTPC components sitting on my desk and wondering which of them I could use in my unRAID build to allow me to stream cable to my clients. What I've got:

Intel Core2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale Overclocked to 3.8Ghz

Asus P5Q-E mobo

8GB of DDR2 800 Corsair RAM

2x MSI GTX560TI GPU's

Ceton Infinitv 4 Cable Card Tuner

As you can see... somewhat dated, but a nice upgrade for my unRAID build.

Would there be any point in putting either or both of the GPU's into the system? (I control the unRAID server completely through a webui or PUTTY, so no need for them to output to a monitor. Anything they could possibly due to aid in the operation of Emby or Plex?)

Is there a way I could use the Ceton tuner in the unRAID build as a tuner/dvr that I could access via Emby Clients? (I'm thinking it's doable, I just have no clue how to go about it.) Would getting this working see any benefit from installing a gpu or two? (They're really nice cards! It kills me to not have them plugged in anywhere useful! hahaha)

What kinds of limitations can I expect from a software aspect? (will I get all of our subscribed channels with this card or was that only in WMC?) If I'm not getting all the content, it really isn't worth the effort to me.

Well, whatever the case may be, this is pretty much a learning exercise for me. I'm planning on moving in a few months and won't be having any cable when I do (cutting the cord!), but, depending on how well I get this to work, I could see setting up several Kodi/RBP2 clients in my parents house and giving them a lot more flexibility than there 10+ year old Motorola HD-DVR's currently have. 

Harblar

That's all well and good. Emby server looks like it's easy enough to setup once you have a tuner installed somewhere on the network.  My questions were more about how to get the tuner to the point where Emby would be able to see it on the network and use it.

Managed to stumble across a thread on the unRAID forums that says I would need to alter the install process for unRAID to include necessary drivers for various tuner hardware... then it devolved into a whole bunch of linuxy techno speak I didn't quite follow. Obviously I'm going to need some kind of plugin or docker on the unRAID server to manage the Ceton tuner, but which one?  

Just thought I'd ask here (since I plan to use it mainly with Emby) and figured someone may have gone through a similar setup process with a Ceton card on an unRAID server.