Suggestions to optimize Web Client interface

anderbytes

anderbytes

Hello devs,

I´d like to suggest some modifications to Web Client interface, some for better space use, others to allow customizations, etc...

Just suggestions, no pressure. Other users please say what do you think about them.

- Fixes

1. Scan media library percentage doesn't appears in "Library" Screen, just like appears in Dashboard

2. Reduce white frame width of "Server Information", "Paths" and "Active Tasks" in Dashboard, because in some screens the "Recent Activity" and "Latest News" can't fit in the right side and go to below the Tasks.

2a. Maybe happens with me because paths are too long (O.S.'s fault, not mine). Maybe if you word wrap the paths?

- In "Paths" on Dashboard:
3. Create a "Clear Cache" button beside the cache section
4. Create a shortcut in Logs section (or linkify the logs path) where clicking goes to Logs (inside HELP)

- Screen space optimizations:
5. Move "Thank you for supporting Emby" to below User Icon (upper-right Corner)

6. Allow resizing width of left panel, and remember size with cookie
7. If "Emby Server is up to date" then put it at right side of version, in [ ] Brackets
8. Move server name to inside Header (black ribbon)
9. Move "Ip address"  to right of date/time in Recent Activity (Ex: "16/02/2016 10:00:00 -- IP: 202.201.200.199")
10. Reduce a little the height space between activies in "Recent Activity"

That's all for now. What do you think?

Edited by anderbytes
  • Like 2

techywarrior

Add commas to the budget and revenue (and show it again, not sure why that isn't interesting info to see)  :)

If a film is in a collection, have a link to the collection from the film page.

• Like 5

• 4 months later...
anderbytes

Please don't forget about this. These would be nice improvements.

• 10 months later...
anderbytes

Yes good ideas :)

Hi. Is it possible to spare any time at all for them?

A lot of these are just going to reduce white space which may make the interface harder to read. I don't know what #4 is asking for exactly but you can easily click Logs and open a log file.

#7 was modeled after the way chrome displays it.

#8 is not really possible due to the pencil button to edit the title.

anderbytes

A lot of these are just going to reduce white space which may make the interface harder to read. I don't know what #4 is asking for exactly but you can easily click Logs and open a log file.

#7 was modeled after the way chrome displays it.

#8 is not really possible due to the pencil button to edit the title.

Logs has been very weel remodeled... so #4 isn't needed anymore.

#7 is about concept, so OK, your call there.

#8 shouldn't be just OK to change the pencil color? To keep it visible.

About the others and the white space... maybe you could, just like GMail, allow people to choose if they want 'condensation' option A, B or C and each one would have different paddings and things like that...   Some may be real bothered for reducing white space, but for me it's almost always just space wasted.

The pencil is more about space and usability. On a mobile device most people will not understand what a pencil is doing up in the header and half the time it will get hidden anyway due to lack of space.

Some of the fixes suggestions make sense though. Thanks.

anderbytes

The pencil is more about space and usability. On a mobile device most people will not understand what a pencil is doing up in the header and half the time it will get hidden anyway due to lack of space.

Some of the fixes suggestions make sense though. Thanks.

Okay.

just to conclude:

#2. VERY important. Today I only get a good fit if I resize my browser zoom to 90% or 80%, that way the sections arrange side by side 'tetris-like'

#2a. desconsider. Now I have small paths, and the issue above remains.

#5. Easy to do, and would be very elegant.