External player support

jscoys

Jack Burton

I too find d that the internal player seems to have some audio sync issues. I've also run into the problem with some of my 16:9 files being played back in 4:3 ratio. If I use an external player, I do not have this issue.

I also have the problem with Windows screensaver coming on when I use the internal player. I really hope the option to call an external player will be added soon.

I do really appreciate all the hard work that has gone into Media Browser/Emby. I've been a longtime user and look forward to continued use.

Agreed. Small issues with the internal player, but really this is just the beginning. I still made the switch from Kodi (longtime user there), and have no regrets. Props all around, I look forward to continued use as well. 

jasonwilliams

For myself the only reason for an external player is 3D support.  I realize the general consensus is that 3D will go the way of the dodo bird, but for people (like me) with screens larger than 150", 3D actually looks great.  If ET supported 3D directly, I would never need an external player - the quality of the current player is outstanding.

Jdiesel

The internal player has potential, but it still doesn't fit everyone's needs. To offer the maximum flexibility to allow people to use ET as they want, it really is essential that you get external player support back into the product asap, and give people a choice. I won't use ET on my main HTPC until this feature is restored. I'm testing it, and following it's progress, but that's it at the moment. In my personal opinion, still nothing beats MPC-HC+LAV+MadVR for total control, features and image quality.

I'm curious to what MPC-HC does that ET with madVR doesn't do? The only thing I can think of is fullscreen exclusive mode which is only an issue if you need 10bit color. 

Jdiesel

For myself the only reason for an external player is 3D support.  I realize the general consensus is that 3D will go the way of the dodo bird, but for people (like me) with screens larger than 150", 3D actually looks great.  If ET supported 3D directly, I would never need an external player - the quality of the current player is outstanding.

If you need MVC 3D support you can try one of the latest versions of madVR which has recently added MVC support.  

Originally Posted by madshi viewpost.gif

Currently only MVC 3D files are supported. Other formats are played as is (meaning madVR treats them as 2D). Support for side-by-side and maybe top-and-bottom hard coded files is planned for a future version.

Edited by Jdiesel

Jdiesel

Personally I look forward to getting external player support back so I can start using emulators again. It worked so well in the previous version of ET.

puithove

If you need MVC 3D support you can try one of the latest versions of madVR which has recently added MVC support.  

The internal LAV would also need a bump, but then it should work.

Bandits

I would love to see external player support but I am not holding my breath. I don't use Emby for its player, I use it for its library management and it does a great job at that. I have always found media library programs that try and do internal player support never come close to the quality of stand alone players. I have my own player I would love to use with Emby Theater, I am just waiting for external player support.

Another good reason for having external player support. When developing a internal player there is always the possibility of breaking something and making playback worse then it is. Or users with playback problems in general. Users can always fallback to a known good working external player while the internal player is fixed.

Lonald

I am using an external player to watch DVDs which use on-screen menus, a feature that ET does not yet support.  In particular, designating an external player to a library folder could be useful for me.  The previous player I recall only being designated for file types.

Or provide support for on-screen menus in ET.... 

Edited by Lonald

I'm curious to what MPC-HC does that ET with madVR doesn't do? The only thing I can think of is fullscreen exclusive mode which is only an issue if you need 10bit color. 

Well, for a start, it works. If I try to use MadVR in ET, I just get a black screen but with audio on my main HTPC. MPC-HC+LAV+MadVR works perfectly on the same box. Refresh rate switching (and switch back) doesn't work properly in ET yet either (it does with the external player). I don't get full control of MadVR settings in ET, and audio output redirection doesn't work properly (but does in MPC-HC). I could go on. There are lots of reasons we need external player support back in.ET. It's not as though it never had it.

• Like 1

I need external player support so that I can get away from relying on Win7 and the now defunct WMC to play 3D ISOs. Ideally I'd like to replace my full-sized HTPC with an Intel Compute Stick running EMBY and an external 3D-capable player. The latest compute sticks don't support Windows 7 AFAIK.

jscoys

Thx for your testimonies! The more we write our use context of external player support, faster devs will implement it (we hope so...).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...
GhostRider

It's a planned feature, not to worry.

Hi Luke, ebr

Any news on if (and when) external player support will be added to Emby Theatre? Just that the free upgrade to Windows 10 will end on July 29th 2016 so keen to start planning if I need to move to Kodi as a client or not. My HTPC is my only PC left on Windows 7.

Edited by GhostRider

The best way to help get the things you want faster is to participate in testing and feedback of even the things you don't want, because everything plays a role in determining our scheduling of when one feature is done vs another.

Bandits

The best way to help get the things you want faster is to participate in testing and feedback of even the things you don't want, because everything plays a role in determining our scheduling of when one feature is done vs another.

I would test the new version all the time if it had external player support. I play at least 1 movie a day but I have no use for the new version without external player support.

2.1.8 adds external player support. It's very primitive and doesn't have all the rules that the old app has, it's just simply external player for video. We can add rules like 3d only on an as-needed basis, so let me know what you guys need. Thanks.

• Like 1

crazybbs

Thank you luke, nice add ,

but is it really hard to add emulators supports?

I prefer use internal videoplayer but miss external player to lauch emulator and windows game from ET

soundsnake8

Can ISO 3D support be added with either Pismo file mount or Virtual clone drive ? I like using the internal player for mkv rips. works fine

Thanks for the good news

The iso mounting is going to take more time, although i can add the rules so that you can setup a player just for iso. then would at least allow you to start hacking around and you could probably setup an external player as a bat file that does the mounting for you

jscoys

2.1.8 adds external player support. It's very primitive and doesn't have all the rules that the old app has, it's just simply external player for video. We can add rules like 3d only on an as-needed basis, so let me know what you guys need. Thanks.

YEAAHHHH! You rock!

Thx a lot, it's very appreciate!

I profit of the occasion to just ask for reducing emby theatre when the external player is launched, and restore when it is closed. The previous ET didn't stay on top of all other windows, but the new seems to be on top of all, including external player...

Other thing, the old ET considered the movie as "seen/watched" when launching the external player. It was nice because it is true in most cases... Could you bring back these little feature?

But above all of that, THANK YOU VERY MUCH. I will be able to use the new ET on my HTPC and I'm really really happy. You can count on me to report features/bugs/enhancement I will see for the new ET now!

• Like 1

crazybbs

Just to help even if I don't use it for video,

I tried it on test machine and I found a bug , when watching episodes series, if I close external players it restart on next episode ( I've automatically next episode option)

Thank you

Just to help even if I don't use it for video,

I tried it on test machine and I found a bug , when watching episodes series, if I close external players it restart on next episode ( I've automatically next episode option)

Thank you

disable the option to play next episode automatically.

I've updated external player playback to assume the video was watched. I'd like to eventually do a post-play screen like the web client where you can indicate where you stopped. But for now it will just assume watched.

• Like 1