External player support

jscoys

Della Dog

disable the option to play next episode automatically.

Wow, I wish I'd seen this yesterday. Spent an hour last night trying to figure out why returning to Emby after stopping MPC-BE it returned and started playing the next video. Thought It was a remote control or MPC issue.

I think the default setting should be off, I never even knew the option existed!

Edited by Della Dog

jscoys

I've updated external player playback to assume the video was watched. I'd like to eventually do a post-play screen like the web client where you can indicate where you stopped. But for now it will just assume watched.

One more little thing Luke : could you force the external player to open only movies/series? Now it tries to open channels too, but my external player can't play web links. Thx.

• Like 1

We don't have those options right now for specific library types. perhaps in the future.

• Like 1

jscoys

Ok will develop a little EXE launcher in .NET to handle my different use cases (ISO, video files, web streaming...).

One more time : thx for having permit that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SikSlayer

We don't have those options right now for specific library types. perhaps in the future.

Yes, it needs the same options as the external player support in the old Media Browser Theater. I understood without you saying that ISO support might take a while (to leverage an ISO mounter or whatever) since it's gotta be cross platform, but the main issue is having the option to execute an external player for certain formats. I'd like an external player for BDs and DVDs (WMC still has such a great DVD playback, auto downloading things like chapter names and such), and even for disc support like MBT had.

I figure this is all a part of the plan.

CovertJaguar

The main reason I prefer Zoom Player over the internal player is that I watch a lot of Anime, and the internal player's control popup covers subtitles. So when I find I missed something (which happens fairly often), I need to seek back about ten seconds and replay that bit. But the internal player makes this hard because of both the popup and the fact that having to click on the progress bar for seeking is very inaccurate. I often go too far back (or forward, seeking is that random) to the wrong location. And when I do, I usually can't see the subtitles anyway because the popup is covering them.

Zoom Player doesn't have these problems because I can bind 4 second seeks to any key or to the mousewheel (my prefered), and the progress popup can be configured to be located at the top of the screen, away from any subtitles. I see a short seek in the internal player options, but for the life of me can't figure out which key it is. The left/right arrow keys are chapter seek, space is pause, and up brings up the overlay, but beyond that...

Anyway, that's why I don't really like using the internal player. I haven't tried the new version yet though, so maybe it's improved.

Edited by CovertJaguar

I've updated external player setup with filters for different video types (files, internet streams, bluray, etc).

• Like 2

The main reason I prefer Zoom Player over the internal player is that I watch a lot of Anime, and the internal player's control popup covers subtitles. So when I find I missed something (which happens fairly often), I need to seek back about ten seconds and replay that bit. But the internal player makes this hard because of both the popup and the fact that having to click on the progress bar for seeking is very inaccurate. I often go too far back (or forward, seeking is that random) to the wrong location. And when I do, I usually can't see the subtitles anyway because the popup is covering them.

Zoom Player doesn't have these problems because I can bind 4 second seeks to any key or to the mousewheel (my prefered), and the progress popup can be configured to be located at the top of the screen, away from any subtitles. I see a short seek in the internal player options, but for the life of me can't figure out which key it is. The left/right arrow keys are chapter seek, space is pause, and up brings up the overlay, but beyond that...

Anyway, that's why I don't really like using the internal player. I haven't tried the new version yet though, so maybe it's improved.

the short seek are ff/rew buttons on a remote control

CovertJaguar

the short seek are ff/rew buttons on a remote control

Well that would explain why I couldn't find them, I don't have a remote control. =P

brad_w

hey Luke, thanks for the external player support! been waiting for this as an alternative until the internal player is top notch :)

Not sure if anyone is experiencing the same issue as me with external player support, but it looks like my emby is passing the video to MPC HC in a really REALLY low resolution version.. a bluray rip 1080p will display at 400p, and madVR will stretch the 400p back to 1920x1080p23 causing it to look terrible. Issue doesn't happen if I play on the internal player or if I launch the video file through windows explorer in MPC. I'm only manually entering the {path} statement to the player too. madVR exclusive mode is auto full screening and playing, so I didn't need to pass any other arguments. I noticed the {path} it's sending to MPC is a long string of random numbers, rather than just the m2ts file name.. unsure if it's related. any ideas? Cheers!

Natilus13

2.1.8 adds external player support. It's very primitive and doesn't have all the rules that the old app has, it's just simply external player for video. We can add rules like 3d only on an as-needed basis, so let me know what you guys need. Thanks.

Thank you so much for setting this up Luke, really appreciate it and all your hard work.

jscoys

Just found a little bug. Seems if the video file has a accented caracter (é, è...) my external player won't play anything (Splash 2.0). I didn't investigate more sorry. Maybe these characters are in HTML format? Could you have a look please?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by jscoys

Natilus13

Was excited to set this up when I got home... Ended up it isn't working for me though. I can call VLC, but it does not start in full screen mode, it plays a file that is about 3 seconds long, makes a strange click or pop sound and then does nothing.

If I open the same file through Windows Explorer, VLC launches in full screen, plays the video fine, and then closes when done.

Any suggestions? 

Was excited to set this up when I got home... Ended up it isn't working for me though. I can call VLC, but it does not start in full screen mode, it plays a file that is about 3 seconds long, makes a strange click or pop sound and then does nothing.

If I open the same file through Windows Explorer, VLC launches in full screen, plays the video fine, and then closes when done.

Any suggestions? 

You have to research the necessary command line parameters that VLC requires to launch in full-screen, and then enter them into the setup screen. This isn't magic, and all the application does is run the command line that it tells you to.

jscoys

You have to research the necessary command line parameters that VLC requires to launch in full-screen, and then enter them into the setup screen. This isn't magic, and all the application does is run the command line that it tells you to.

Luke I agree with you for fullscreen, you have to put --fullscreen. But if you read last testimonies, it seems that for some people, even if external player is defined, ET ask anyway for a transcoding and pass the transco directory instead of the original file (that's why it plays 3 seconds because it plays the first piece of transco and vlc doesn't plays the next file or the file doesn't exists...).

Maybe it has a link with maximum bitrates? For me it's on auto and it works great.

soundsnake8

I know several of us have requested the external player app and the wheels are starting to roll so thanks for that. I know you have responded to me about the 3D ISO mounting and I understand that will be a minute or two but regarding the current internal player. I am using MadVR and love it. I have tried both MPC-BE and MPC-HC both with MadVR and they all play the same except the internal player has many more advantages. It is nicer to look at for starters and it remembers where I start and stop. All in all, it is a better experience IMO. The picture quality is stunning by the way, way to go !

• Like 1

dimitrik

Thank God we finally have external player support. The internal player, although it looks nice, is still so buggy its unusable.

Does anyone know the arguments to use for MPC-HC?

So far all I get is a blank MPC window.

jscoys

Thank God we finally have external player support. The internal player, although it looks nice, is still so buggy its unusable.

Does anyone know the arguments to use for MPC-HC?

So far all I get is a blank MPC window.

Search on the internet, it's better.

jscoys

Just found a little bug. Seems if the video file has a accented caracter (é, è...) my external player won't play anything (Splash 2.0). I didn't investigate more sorry. Maybe these characters are in HTML format? Could you have a look please?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

@@Luke : Hey don't forget me please :D  It's a real real problem for me. All non English languages are impacted. Thx.

Edited by jscoys

dimitrik

Search on the internet, it's better.

How is it better than asking those who have already got the specific configuration working?

By the way, if you're not going to help, don't bother posting a reply.

{path} /play /close /fullscreen [/start ms]

Those are the parameters I'm using, and they work fine. Not using '/start ms' though, although you imply that's optional.

As it stands, the external player support does the basics, but it's not particularly 'pretty' when using cinema mode. Each trailer launches a new instance, and also does if you use intro's. I guess that's because there's no logic behind it yet as there is in Emby for WMC. Otherwise, it's shaping up nicely.

uncheck the option to play video streams in your external player. just use the internal player for that.

dimitrik

{path} /play /close /fullscreen [/start ms]

Thanks, that worked fine! I'm not using /start ms though, I didn't understand thew purpose of starting some ms into the video file. Is there a reason?

Those are the parameters I'm using, and they work fine. Not using '/start ms' though, although you imply that's optional.

As it stands, the external player support does the basics, but it's not particularly 'pretty' when using cinema mode. Each trailer launches a new instance, and also does if you use intro's. I guess that's because there's no logic behind it yet as there is in Emby for WMC. Otherwise, it's shaping up nicely.

I'm so spoiled from using MPC-HC with MadVR. Things like subtitle placement (so they appear on the black bars under the movie etc). None of the internal players do it for me, though can see the attraction.