Best Front End App/Device for Live TV

Gander

I'm thinking about picking up schedules direct and kicking WMC (and any need for extenders) to the curb. Using HDHomerun Prime (w/ no need for copy protected content)...   

With that, all i've been using for the last year is WMC for live TV and Emby Theater (Win) for everything else.

I know right now Emby Theater doesn't support Guide/DVR yet, so I've needed to keep WMC around for family/wife acceptance.

Are there any more mature devices with Emby apps that support LiveTV/guide/DVR in a user friendly (i.e. WAF) interface?

Edited by Gander

ubertoast

Kodi is probably the most mature front-end that can do everything. Takes some setting up, but can be very user friendly in the end. Plenty of customization to make the user experience better.

I personally have my HDHomeRun setup directly in Emby (no external plugin). I use MPC Remote (this app just runs in the background on the HTPC) along with mobile devices to control everything (Emby for Android). I use my phone or tablet and select MPC Remote as the player and it will simply launch everything in MPC (even live TV). This allows you use have the nice user interface from the mobile app while reaping the benefits of MPC.

Link to MPC Remote: http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/13199-media-player-classic-remote-control-for-media-browser-experimental/?p=281801

The only thing I cannot do with my MPC Remote is turn on/off subtitles from the emby app.

Edited by ubertoast

Nathanio

The Amazon FireTV stick and box works really well for Live TV. It is what I am using until ET supports LiveTV proper.

It certainly has been a relatively simple transition for her. 

• Like 1