Max streaming rate per user

jose

Max Streaming rate per user/device  

132 members have voted

1. 1. Max Streaming rate

Add an option to limit the max streaming rate per user, so that an admin is able to limit it.

Edited by Happy2Play
  • Like 19

MSattler

Add an option to limit the max streaming rate per user, so that an admin is able to limit it.

This would be a nice feature!  

Dizzy49

While this is a decent idea, I think most people have multiple devices, so it would make more sense to do it per device.

• 10 months later...
MSattler

For those of us limited to crap service providers (looking at you comcast) I'd love this. 

This also would help when dealing with family members who are remote and don't understand setting bit-rate, etc.

Let me set the limit for them remotely, and done.

GoldFiNNger

Per device or per user?

This made my day.

Per user, for sure, would be wonderful.

It's a kink in the flow of the user experience to have to go to the server every time I want to unrestricted my max streaming bitrate, it's those other users whose bitrate should be limited, some more than others.

MSattler

This made my day.

Per user, for sure, would be wonderful.

It's a kink in the flow of the user experience to have to go to the server every time I want to unrestricted my max streaming bitrate, it's those other users whose bitrate should be limited, some more than others.

It may make more sense to set it per device.   A device typically goes into a location, and no matter who logs on to it, the network never changes.  

A user being limited means that there could be situations where users have plenty of bandwidth, but are limited.  What drives this for me, is more along the lines of clients which have bandwidth issues.  By forcing a device to be limited to specific bandwidth, I take the guess work away from the family member who is clueless about that stuff.

A good example is the difference between my phone, my shield in the living room, and my FireTV in my son's room at his moms.  On my phone I will never want more than 500Kbps.  My Shield in my living room I always want 100Mbps.   That FireTV is on wireless and should never be more than 5Mbps.

I could never do that if it was user based.

Edited by MSattler
  • Like 3

MrWebsmith

per device for me please... like MSattler says.. in general i have user/location/bandwidth limits.. not userA vs userB

PhinkBig

If we are creating streaming limits, why not be able to choose between device or a blanket per-user policy? That would cover all use cases.

Edited by PhinkBig
  • Like 1

FrostByte

I can see a benefit for either, but voted "per device"

If I have a user that I need to restrict all their devices the "per user" could do it all in one vs adding a bunch of devices with "per device", but if I only want to restrict one device for a user the "per user" option will not do that for me.  So I voted "per device"

Edited by FrostByte

GoldFiNNger

Per device would actually cover both bases, if you had to choose one. I'll know which users own which devices, so a blanket limitation for the user shouldn't be difficult to do. I voted per device

ginjaninja

What is the goal?

ensuring service is managed when network (especially wireless/internet) bandwidth is at full capacity?

if so, limiting by device or by user wont necessarily achieve the goal will it?, albeit for some environments it may be a good enough approximation.

Suggestion:

Administrators define total bandwidth available to each network/range for streaming ...eg fiedx cabling subnet/range, wireless subnet/range, internet (!local).

Administrators define 'priority groups' groups of user and devices , with attributes

• max single stream size
  • total allowed steam size (across all streams)
  • Priority Level eg 1-5
  • can cancel lower priority stream y/n, notfied before cancelling stream "do you wish to cancel stream media name_device_user" (y/n)
  • can have stream cancelled by higher priority y/n

(highest priority of user and device in effect - streams playing in the context of the highest priority available to the user/device)

higher priority may cancel lowest priority stream(s) if bandwidth is required and 'cancel' attributes allow

• This action will cancel stream(s) to user(s), do you wish to continue?
  • lower priority gets notification after event, stream was terminated due to not enough bandwidth.
  • if not enough bandwidth available to play stream (and no option to cancel another stream) user get notification.

Clients define their target streaming rate min/max,

server amends ?on the fly? to obtain the best stream possible for the stream's priority (based on the user/devices priority group).

Edited by ginjaninja
  • Like 1

pir8radio

I like the bandwidth limiting feature that is currently in place for emby...  Maximum stream bit-rate period.    I know what my users quality will be, and I know how many users my connection can support. It is not applied to local connections, so internal users are not limited.

I can modify the bit-rate limit if i need more users to be able to stream at lower quality, or i can increase my internet connection to support more users at a given bit-rate.  Per device or per user is going to throw a bunch of variables in there....   I have pages of devices, and quite a few users, aint nobody got time for that.  :)

Edited by pir8radio

puithove

I know it would be way more complicated to implement, and maybe maintain... but I'd rather see a tiered approach, with an order of precedence.

Total max external streaming bandwidth / per user / per device

Limits could be set at none/any/all levels, and whichever is the lowest should be used at any point in time.  All together, never exceed the max external bandwidth rate (because the ISP's upload limit).

No matter what choice is made, we still need to keep the total external bandwidth setting because of the hard ISP limit.

Edited by puithove
  • Like 1

My +1 goes for limit per device, but also limit per stream.

So you can set a default on how many streams you can host per account, and what the max BW is (as currently anyone can ove"rride that in his account settings)

PV

• Like 1

Guest asrequested

I know it would be way more complicated to implement, and maybe maintain... but I'd rather see a tiered approach, with an order of precedence.

Total max external streaming bandwidth / per user / per device

Limits could be set at none/any/all levels, and whichever is the lowest should be used at any point in time. All together, never exceed the max external bandwidth rate (because the ISP's upload limit).

No matter what choice is made, we still need to keep the total external bandwidth setting because of the hard ISP limit.

Yup! I'd prefer that, too. We should be able to set max upload bandwidth to what we have available. Per device should only be used if necessary. But I don't think it is, as the app will determine what bandwidth is available, which if we set user bandwidth will work perfectly.

MSattler

Yup! I'd prefer that, too. We should be able to set max upload bandwidth to what we have available. Per device should only be used if necessary. But I don't think it is, as the app will determine what bandwidth is available, which if we set user bandwidth will work perfectly.

Not in all cases.   For instance, if you have a phone which connects to your home network via VPN, it will attempt to play at full quality.  And in many cases just because my phone can do 3Mbps, doesn't mean I want to use 3Mbps, as I want to keep usage lower.

So while I have 150Mbps up... for some devices it still needs to stay lower.