Hard drive constantly under use by server. Idle?

unlessyouhaveherpes

unlessyouhaveherpes

Hi!

Let me begin by saying I'm apparently not the most skilled server admin! I got my HTPC running smoothly but when something goes wrong, I usually don't know what I'm doing, so pardon my lack of knowledge, if any.

As I said, my setup is running smoothly: I'm running Emby Server 3.0.5821.0 and playback is only done locally in Emby Theater on this HTPC hooked up to my TV. The only problem I have is that my secondary hard drive containing my movies and TV shows directories is constantly spinning (and of course making noise).

I've run Sysinternals' Process Explorer to see what processes were using my D: drive and shut down every one except Emby Server:

5JXh5kr.png

I'm guessing my hard drive should go idle at some point when there's no playback happening (no library scanning either) but from what I understand, it's as if the server was constantly accessing the TV show and Movies directories...

Is this normal? Also, is this enough info to target the problem? Please let me know if I should run more tests. I've attached my latest log to this post.

Thanks for any help!

log_09022016.txt

Edited by unlessyouhaveherpes

@@unlessyouhaveherpes

Odd username.. But moving on from that I see your remote server address is showing in your screenshot. You may want to edit that image. Probably should.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

unlessyouhaveherpes

@@unlessyouhaveherpes

Odd username.. But moving on from that I see your remote server address is showing in your screenshot. You may want to edit that image. Probably should.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Right, didn't that one slip! Thanks

unlessyouhaveherpes

constant activity is not normal. you could try turning off the realtime monitor under library -> advanced.

I turned it off, restarted the server but the drive was still going at it.

I tried a few more things and I'm scratching my head even more now... I "exited" the server by clicking the icon in the notification area, then Exit. It should be the same as shot down in the web client, right? Because even after exiting, MediaBrowser was stilling showed as accessing the directories in Process Explorer.

And now maybe it's not even related to Emby after all because I rebooted this morning and my drive was spinning even before passing the login screen. It was open all night on the login screen and it seems it never went idle. I didn't have time to test things further and now I'm at work so I'll definitely investigate tonight. Could a weird behaviour cause the server to access the drive before complete start up? This seems unlikely, but then again, Process Explorer... Anyway, I'm rambling.

Are there more trails I could follow to completely rule Emby out of my problem?

JeremyFr79

Windows indexing, Anti Virus, etc, there are all kinds of things that could be causing this tbh, while sysinternals is claiming that it's emby, you've stated it does it even before launching Emby, if that's the case then the issue lies somewhere outside emby.

unlessyouhaveherpes

Windows indexing, Anti Virus, etc, there are all kinds of things that could be causing this tbh, while sysinternals is claiming that it's emby, you've stated it does it even before launching Emby, if that's the case then the issue lies somewhere outside emby.

Alright, thanks everyone for your input, but it seems my issue is unrelated to Emby after all. I did a little digging and it would seem my Windows boot manager is not on my OS drive but on my storage HDD. I have no clue how that happen but I'm looking into all this. Thanks again!

JeremyFr79

Alright, thanks everyone for your input, but it seems my issue is unrelated to Emby after all. I did a little digging and it would seem my Windows boot manager is not on my OS drive but on my storage HDD. I have no clue how that happen but I'm looking into all this. Thanks again!

If that's the case then you better take a look at where your page file is being put by your OS, may very well be using that same drive then.

jamvids

Hi, What model hard drive is it. Not that i'm in the know either, I only know about my HDD's, I have been using WD green drives as they were the cheapest. Mine are nearly always idle. Then I saw there was blue, red purple etc. so I looked them up, and there is differences with each and it turns out mine are slower low power and go to sleep quicker than other models so when it comes to playing a video I usually have to wait for the HDD to spin up first (completely the opposite to your problem). Might not be your answer but worth looking at. Maybe you have a high performance always ready type? Maybe I'm talking nonsense too. Always learning :)

• Like 1