Processor Utililization

mc2000

Hi All,

Emby is just flat cool, however I may have run into a deal killer.  My wife watches OTA TV like crazy, so I am using the Nextpvr plugin and the FireTV app.  1 show being watched causes 50% processor utilization from FFMPEG.exe.  2 shows is 100% and choppy.  If I drop the client to 1MB stream utilization drops to 33% per stream, but the picture is not so great.  Setting Direct Show on on the client does not change the behavior.  Any ideas?

Thanks,

Mike

HI, welcome. Hi, what you could do is look at an HDHomerun tuner with the h264 encoding feature. If the encoding happens on the tuner device it will help free up resources on your server machine. I apologize that you want to consider this a deal breaker, but that's what it costs to transcode it on the fly.

Could not give up on Emby, I really like it.  I hunkered down and bought 2 HDhome runs.  Only 2 hours into playing with it but it was sure plug and play.  I think the boss (wife) is going to be very pleased.  Channel logos are even there!

Thanks!

Mike

• Like 1

May also be worth mentioning

Hi All,

Emby is just flat cool, however I may have run into a deal killer.  My wife watches OTA TV like crazy, so I am using the Nextpvr plugin and the FireTV app.  1 show being watched causes 50% processor utilization from FFMPEG.exe.  2 shows is 100% and choppy.  If I drop the client to 1MB stream utilization drops to 33% per stream, but the picture is not so great.  Setting Direct Show on on the client does not change the behavior.  Any ideas?

Thanks,

Mike

I know you moved your transcoding off server to hdhomrun, but I thought I should mention that if you are running on a windows machine, you may also want to set your power plan (start > control panel > power options > show additional plans > select "High performance.  specifically this adjusted your advanced power settings related to processor minimum/maximum power management system cooling policy, and multimedia settings.  I found this setting as I was noticing choppy behavior when I used emby theatre, emby app and it resolved the issue. 

• Like 1