Chromecast and MPEG Playback

Chomicz
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

Is anyone else having issues with MPEG playback using Chromecast? Emby starts transcoding, ffmpeg works fine but Chromecast gets stuck initially loading the file. The remote claims it hasnt started playing but when you click play nothing happens. The file works fine using HTML, Emby App on Android phone and tablet, Emby Theatre and Emby WMC.

Will do when I'm back at the server (away for weekend) but just wanted to see if anyone else had an issue or if it was local to me.

Sorry for the long wait but have had a chance to look at the log files and I am having an issue with any MPEG4 encoded video on Chromecast.  I've attached all the logs and transcode files since a quick reboot today.  FFMPEG starts, the video doesn't start or freezes but the process and file continue to run, even after stopping playback (hopefully demonstrated in PDF).

Historically my server logs have thrown up lots of CoverArt, AnimeDB and AutoBox Set errors causing long load times or hanging pages.  Never a problem at home, but became frustrating this weekend at friends' homes.  I uninstalled all aforementioned plugins and load time has significantly improved.  I did update, and then roll back to the bundled version of, FFMPEG in case that fixed but it caused the same issue.

I've only two Chromecast users at present affected, works fine on HTML5, WMC, WMC extender, Emby Theatre and Android app users so I've asked Chromecast peeps to use those as a temporary solution.  Anything else I could send/do?

server-63590636004.txt

transcode-98ae4051-9bd9-491e-ab7b-859c7ed3e3b2.txt

transcode-2e2ba38d-6174-4ffd-bc39-ecdf5edf3de8.txt

transcode-3508226d-8508-4d1c-b054-6584269226c6.txt

transcode-8ce9b0f1-b973-4e73-ace0-120e4129dfff.txt

transcode-0d542f9d-aff2-4da3-9092-2709e8c47544.txt

server-63590635901.txt

server-63590635549.txt

server-63590572800.txt

Hanging FFMPEG.pdf

Edited by Chomicz

Can you see if the issue occurs without qsv enabled? thanks.

Set it to auto and all (above and a few others) MPEG4 encoded files play on Chromecast.  Cheers for the quick fix.  Could you tell me why it works now?

I can't really say what the exact problem is other than some qsv issue in ffmpeg that will hopefully be resolved with future ffmpeg updates. Going forward in the new server beta when you enable qsv it will give you a warning that if you experience any playback issues that it should be turned off.

Well cheers for the quick answer.  Definitely more fuel for the debate at work we've been having for the past few years - Emby support rules!

• Like 1