FrontView+ [for Windows]iMon replacement, NowPlaying 2nd Screen

GlennNZ

GlennNZ

Thanks Glenn.

I think I am all compliant in that set up.

Plex server is running on another computer with a static IP of 192.168.1.1

HTPC where FV is intalled is just on the home network, and set up as you describe.

It's very odd that it works for you and not for me. Also odd that OpenPHT works, and after that so does PMP. But PMP won't connect with FV on first boot, until I run OpenPHT.

The log actually looks fine - but will have a more careful look

FV remote should be set to Plex server IP & then only connects to Plex server, which then tells it about playback, which matches to local IP. It never connects to local clients. And can’t see how openPHT would change something , other than the initial connection which have changed.

Can you double check the Plex.dll in plugin folder and check version?

And/or Can you send a log just with PMP and FV, as you say won’t connect but need to see log from this.

Glenn

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi Glenn,

The plex remote version that is in use is 1.0.180.0

In FV the Plex remote is showing as connected, using IP address 192.168.1.1 and port 32400 (that is the server, a separate Windows 8 PC).

The login and password is my usual plex one.

If I open PMP and play back a file, FV does nothing. if I click verify it says 'bad remote parameters. Please check that remote is running and correctly configured.'

However, as soon as I open OpenPHT, I can click verify on the Plex remote in FV and it works, no error message.

I can then close OpenPHT and open PMP again, the 'bad remote parameter' message comes back when i click verify, but it still works as I play back video in PMP.

Weird aye?!

Here are some logs, after a reboot, with just PMP being opened, video played back for 1 minute.

FrontView+.log

Glenn, there has just been a Plex server update and I think the issue is fixed!

Here is one of the fixes in the update, which sounds like it might have done it..

(NAS) Permissions issues resulting in a failures to start

GlennNZ

Hi Glenn,

The plex remote version that is in use is 1.0.180.0

In FV the Plex remote is showing as connected, using IP address 192.168.1.1 and port 32400 (that is the server, a separate Windows 8 PC).

The login and password is my usual plex one.

If I open PMP and play back a file, FV does nothing. if I click verify it says 'bad remote parameters. Please check that remote is running and correctly configured.'

However, as soon as I open OpenPHT, I can click verify on the Plex remote in FV and it works, no error message.

I can then close OpenPHT and open PMP again, the 'bad remote parameter' message comes back when i click verify, but it still works as I play back video in PMP.

Weird aye?!

Here are some logs, after a reboot, with just PMP being opened, video played back for 1 minute.

Ok

My fix didn’t quite kill the issue - I see the problem, at the moment need to have some other client open anywhere. Could try open on the server web browser - to Plex library, shouldn’t need to play anything. Think that will temp work - before fix completely in a few hours.

Try 1.305 - pretty sure fixed Plex

Glenn

Edited by GlennNZ

• 2 weeks later...
Red5ive

Have set up Frontview with Kodi which is running the NextPVR as its PVR backend.

I am getting program info when viewing tv channels and recordings but the channel logo is being used twice, as logo and backdrop, no fanart. Here is a photo:

5db1ee01d3ac2_Untitled.png

The Kodi service is installed and the web service setup. The check box for 'Use Kodi service' is ticked in frontview settings.

Also I was wondering if things like the player controls and volume could be hidden and the time and text made bigger? My case is an old Silverstone and this is only a 5" display so it is hard to read anything!

GlennNZ

Have set up Frontview with Kodi which is running the NextPVR as its PVR backend.

I am getting program info when viewing tv channels and recordings but the channel logo is being used twice, as logo and backdrop, no fanart. Here is a photo:

5db1ee01d3ac2_Untitled.png

The Kodi service is installed and the web service setup. The check box for 'Use Kodi service' is ticked in frontview settings.

Also I was wondering if things like the player controls and volume could be hidden and the time and text made bigger? My case is an old Silverstone and this is only a 5" display so it is hard to read anything!

Hi

The channel logo will be the only ‘artwork’ that Kodi and a Frontview get - hence it is reused. Pretty much no other way around it, as the channels don’t have artwork program to program.

The player controls/volume can’t be hidden althought it may be possible to alter this. However the time/text, whole screen, everything is very customisable form within the settings. Try the text size, and the overriding slider changes the whole size of these boxes.

Glenn

• 3 months later...
Red5ive

Hi Glenn

Coming back to the layout issues I have, as mentioned I have an old Silverstone case with just a 5" display which I would like the Now playing info to be as readable as possible from 10 foot away. It is touch screen but doesn't work unless you use the original frontview software, it would only be used to display the now playing info from emby/kodi.

I have tried setting the text size to the largest and altering the size slider and this is the best I can achieve at present-

Home screen:

post-525280-0-98183900-1582142726_thumb.jpg

Which is not too bad although it is hard to read the weather and the time could be much bigger (dont really need to show the year here!)

Now Playing:

post-525280-0-28602600-1582142829_thumb.jpg

The Now playing screen is a bit of a mess if you try and increase the font size and slider too much with elements overlapping each other.

The episode thumb is too small to see and not supplied by Kodi. The time codes again are too small to see at any normal font setting and there are no need for the player controls.

The title text seems to be confined to that small box and the font gets smaller and smaller the longer the title of the episode is! Would be better if that box went the whole width of the screen and stayed the same font size, perhaps scrolling the txt if it was too long for the box.

Thinking about the essential info needed to be presented here on this tin screen we only need the fan art wallpaper, episode title and the progress bar and perhaps the time.

I started to poke around in the skin .xml files to see if I could comment out items such as the player controls or thumbnail but cant see where to do it or if its even possible.

Would you be open to the idea of providing a 'stripped back' skin for us small screen users? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Edited by Red5ive

• 1 month later...
jjstecchino

Hi glenn would you look at the emby plugin on the last emby server Version 4.5.0.3 beta. It stopped working.

Thanks

Edited by jjstecchino

GlennNZ

Hi glenn would you look at the emby plugin on the last emby server Version 4.5.0.3 beta. It stopped working.

Thanks

Missed, 4.5.0.3 but 4.5.0.4 Beta seems to work okay on my limited testing

(The client selection screen - perhaps not ... but that has always been a slight issue)

What do you find?

Glenn

Red5ive

Hi Glenn

My weather seems to have stopped updating, anything I can check?

Also did you have any guidance for changing the layout and disabling elements, as in my post above?

S

GlennNZ

Hi Glenn

My weather seems to have stopped updating, anything I can check?

Also did you have any guidance for changing the layout and disabling elements, as in my post above?

S

Hi

Unfortunately Darksky has been acquired by Apple and access to their API is being shut down. The same happened with yahoo and then weather underground, as far as I am aware there isn’t really a obvious replacement. Having said that I was of the understanding that API access would continue for a while yet, so may be another issue...

With regards layout, there is no way to edit xml files to achieve what you want. Small screens are supported - but no desire to add to the already multiple editable options within settings.

- essentially there are multiple size change options, PLUS a whole screen size layout change.

E.g can set ever individual element to small, and then use whole screen size to resize all to huge. This may achieve some of what you want.

So really is infinitely adjustable - but may still not end up with what you desire, unfortunately

Glenn

jjstecchino

(The client selection screen - perhaps not ... but that has always been a slight issue)

What do you find?

Glenn

The client selection doesnt work. as you bring up the plugin setting, you get a neverending spinner and the client list is empty

GlennNZ

What do you find?

Glenn

The client selection doesnt work. as you bring up the plugin setting, you get a neverending spinner and the client list is empty

Try plugin version 2.0.0.57 - think have fixed.

Glenn

jjstecchino

Try plugin version 2.0.0.57 - think have fixed.

Glenn

you fixed it. Thanks Glenn

• 2 weeks later...
Swynol

wondering if anyone can help. installed Frontview on my laptop for testing. I go to setup a remote however i get an error on verify that says bad remote parameters.

Emby server log shows a bad login attempt. however my details are correct. I also created a new user to test and same issue.

Swynol

2020-04-17 20:05:11.093 Info HttpClient: POST https://connect.emby.media/service/user/authenticate
2020-04-17 20:05:11.206 Info HttpClient: POST https://connect.emby.media/service/user/authenticate
2020-04-17 20:05:11.321 Info UserManager: Authentication request for *******l has been denied.
2020-04-17 20:05:11.322 Warn HttpServer: AUTH-ERROR: 192.168.10.216 - Invalid username or password entered.
2020-04-17 20:05:11.322 Error HttpServer: Invalid username or password entered.

• 2 weeks later...
Swynol

following on from the above. Frontview can access my server if a user account has a blank password. as soon as a password is set i get the error bad login attempt.

Also does the images directory need to point to the emby metadata folder? i seem to get alot of blank images and the auto fan art doesnt seem to work. it stays on the home screen until i play a movie.

arek_p

I'm new to FrontView+ 1.310 having used iMON/iMEDIAN since 2010. I have EMBY server setup. I installed FrontView+ but when I go to ADD REMOTE, I get the error "Bad Remote parameters. Please check that remote is running and correctly configured." 

IP, Login, Password are all correct.

Even made a new user in Emby without password.

I'm sure I've missed something simple. Thank you for helping. 

GlennNZ

I'm new to FrontView+ 1.310 having used iMON/iMEDIAN since 2010. I have EMBY server setup. I installed FrontView+ but when I go to ADD REMOTE, I get the error "Bad Remote parameters. Please check that remote is running and correctly configured."

IP, Login, Password are all correct.

Even made a new user in Emby without password.

I'm sure I've missed something simple. Thank you for helping.

Hi

Sorry to hear about troubles.

Have you installed the Emby Frontview plugin? This is needed.

I haven’t tested Emby’s remote connection for a while and there have been some changes. I have kept the Emby Frontview API Plug-in working - but it is possible there have been other changes

I’ll have a look soon.

Looked:

And there have been some breaking changes.

Have fixed in new Emby Plugin dll I have attached - may need to package up into install package (sometimes windows doesn't like running these)

Late here, so haven't tested (other than connection) so may be other issues yet to see.

Welcome to try.

Attached zip, unzip and replace existing Emby file in program directory Plugins folder.

Further looked:

No other issues it would seem (most of the rest is handled by the Frontview API plugin - which least I maintain/stays the same

Have updated install files to update to new Emby Remote:

here:

https://github.com/Ghawken/FrontView/releases/download/1.310/FrontView.Setup.1.0.310.Emby.Update.64bit.exe

Glenn

Remote.Emby.zip

Edited by GlennNZ

arek_p

Glenn, thank you!

I've added the remote.emby.dll to pulgins folder, uninstalled FrontView+ and installed your updated version.

Now "updating library"

I'm off to bed and hopefully all will be perfect in morning!

• 2 months later...
Red5ive

Somebody suggested using open weather to replace Darksky over on the Kodi forum https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=259087&page=25

and here is the media centre weather app thread for myWeather where they have succesfully moved over to it:

https://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/viewtopic.php?p=139526#p139526

I have not had any weather updates for months on frontview which means the weather widget top and left and background have been static on my inbuilt VFD screen in my HTPC case.

Hope you can look into updating to using the new provider.

Edited by Red5ive

Hi Glenn, long time no chat, we are still enjoying Frontview every day, awesome software thankyou!

However..  we are in the process of replacing the HTPC's with Nvidia Shields.

I can get Frontview to connect to the Plex server, but not to individual clients.

I can get things working if I use the Plex for Kodi plug in, as Frontview will connect to individual Kodi clients.

But the GUI is much nicer on the native Plex app, I wonder if there is there any chance at all that Frontview could be modified to connect to individual plex clients?

Thanks!

• 3 months later...
GlennNZ
1 hour ago, lisag said:

Hi Glenn,

I don't need anything from you today - long time no speak, I am just wondering if you are well in these crazy times?!

Hi

Yes. Crazy times indeed, as luck would have it I’m in a pretty good part of the world - least at the moment...  UK doesn’t seem to be doing so well....

Sorry - had also missed that post above back in August - everything sorted?  Not sure where FB up to with Plex as only ever had very limited support.  Still thought did connect to individual instances, but certainly not sure as has been a while.

Keep safe.

Glenn

Red5ive

Glad you are well Glenn!
Any thoughts on my post above with possibly using Darksky as an alternative to get the weather working again?
My screen is stuck on the raining image for the past 6 months (which is usually correct seeing as I'm in the UK but still be nice to have it working again!)