Juddering playback of recorded TV

Nathanio

Nathanio

I'm running 1.0.41 and have set it up with MadVR, QuickSync and change refresh rate enabled. When I playback recorded tv (ts files) I get very choppy playback. I have tried using smooth video and it makes it worse.

HW Intel i3-4130 

8GB RAM

120GB SSD

1080p playback

The choppy playback is for SD and HD content. BR Ripped MKVs with DTS-HD soundtracks playback perfectly. 

Help!

Jdiesel

I'm running 1.0.41 and have set it up with MadVR, QuickSync and change refresh rate enabled. When I playback recorded tv (ts files) I get very choppy playback. I have tried using smooth video and it makes it worse.

HW Intel i3-4130 

8GB RAM

120GB SSD

1080p playback

The choppy playback is for SD and HD content. BR Ripped MKVs with DTS-HD soundtracks playback perfectly. 

Help!

Do you have refreshrate switching enabled in ET and madVR, only in ET, or only in madVR? Can you enable the madVR OSD and determine the display rate and the composition rate? If you are unsure of how to bring up madVR's OSD you can follow steps 4 through 8 of the configuration portion of this guide.

http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/30199-et-setup-guide-with-madvr-and-bitstreaming-hd-audio/page-1

Edited by Jdiesel

Nathanio

Things like VLC play em back fine?

Playback on our FireTV (direct play not transcoded) perfectly fine. Does play in MPC-HC as well.

Do you have refreshrate switching enabled in ET and madVR, only in ET, or only in madVR? Can you enable the madVR OSD and determine the display rate and the composition rate? If you are unsure of how to bring up madVR's OSD you can follow steps 4 through 8 of the configuration portion of this guide.

http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/30199-et-setup-guide-with-madvr-and-bitstreaming-hd-audio/page-1

I do have it enabled in ET. I'll see if I can do it. 1080p MKV with DTS-HD are playing back buttery smooth (with refresh rate switching)

Try using DXVA hardware acceleration 

Tried this and it worked great for HD x264 encoded streams. MPEG2 issues on SD channels are still choppy. 

Getting the same here when playing back recorded ts files from NextPVR. If I use EVR+, Auto for hardware acceleration, refresh rate change on they play OK. Using madVR either makes playback choppy or the sound moves out of sync.

Nathanio

Coming back to this. 

I have tried EVR+ and that plays back smoothly but with an image in the centre of the screen (and no way to stretch it). Back to MadVR and it jitters. 

I have since tried in on my desktop with an i5-4570S (using iGPU) and that is smooth. But I can't do refresh rate switching on the monitor. 

puithove

Using madVR, it's very possible you're exceeding your GPU's ability to process the video fast enough.  Have you looked at the madVR stats screen (ctrl + J)?  You might have to back down on some of the processing.  1080i content is WAY more demanding than typical 1080p24.

Check out JDiesel's how-to (it explains looking at the performance stats):  http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/30199-et-setup-guide-with-madvr-and-bitstreaming-hd-audio/

Another great how-to on madVR is Warner306's here:  http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=259188

It goes into much more detail about how intensive various processing steps are and directly discusses how/why 1080i is more demanding.

Edited by puithove

Nathanio

Using madVR, it's very possible you're exceeding your GPU's ability to process the video fast enough.  Have you looked at the madVR stats screen (ctrl + J)?  You might have to back down on some of the processing.  1080i content is WAY more demanding than typical 1080p24.

Check out JDiesel's how-to (it explains looking at the performance stats):  http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/30199-et-setup-guide-with-madvr-and-bitstreaming-hd-audio/

Another great how-to on madVR is Warner306's here:  http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=259188

It goes into much more detail about how intensive various processing steps are and directly discusses how/why 1080i is more demanding.

Apart from the HD content is playing back fine and this is SD content at 576 lines:

General
ID                          : 8206 (0x200E)
Complete name               : \\SLINKY\EmbyTV\Series\Funniest Falls, Fails & Flops\Funniest Falls, Fails & Flops S01E08.ts
Format                      : MPEG-TS
File size                   : 755 MiB
Duration                    : 32mn 56s
Overall bit rate mode       : Variable
Overall bit rate            : 3 202 Kbps

Video
ID                          : 1601 (0x641)
Menu ID                     : 8500 (0x2134)
Format                      : MPEG Video
Format version              : Version 2
Format profile              : Main@Main
Format settings, BVOP       : Yes
Format settings, Matrix     : Custom
Format settings, GOP        : M=3, N=30
Format settings, picture st : Frame
Codec ID                    : 2
Bit rate mode               : Variable
Bit rate                    : 2 786 Kbps
Width                       : 720 pixels
Height                      : 576 pixels
Display aspect ratio        : 16:9
Active Format Description   : Full frame 16:9 image
Frame rate                  : 25.000 fps
Standard                    : PAL
Color space                 : YUV
Chroma subsampling          : 4:2:0
Bit depth                   : 8 bits
Scan type                   : Interlaced
Scan order                  : Top Field First
Compression mode            : Lossy
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)          : 0.269
Stream size                 : 656 MiB (87%)

Audio #1
ID                          : 1602 (0x642)
Format                      : MPEG Audio
Format version              : Version 1
Format profile              : Layer 2
Codec ID                    : 4
Bit rate mode               : Constant
Bit rate                    : 192 Kbps
Channel(s)                  : 2 channels
Sampling rate               : 48.0 KHz
Delay relative to video     : -313ms
Stream size                 : 45.2 MiB (6%)
Language                    : English

Audio #2
ID                          : 1603 (0x643)
Format                      : MPEG Audio
Format version              : Version 1
Format profile              : Layer 2
Codec ID                    : 4
Bit rate mode               : Constant
Bit rate                    : 64.0 Kbps
Channel(s)                  : 1 channel
Sampling rate               : 48.0 KHz
Delay relative to video     : -194ms
Stream size                 : 15.1 MiB (2%)
Language, more info         : Visual impaired commentary

Text
ID                          : 1631 (0x65F)
Format                      : DVB Subtitle
Codec ID                    : 6
Delay relative to video     : 2s 660ms

The media pc is using an i3-4130 with Intel 4400 graphics core onboard versus the 4600 on the i5-4570s. 

Just tried it on my laptop (i3-2376M with HD 3000 graphics) and plays smooth with MadVR. Hmmm maybe I've got a local issue then....