Direct Play?

bluejoe247

bluejoe247

Ok, well, I guess I'll give it a go, first post/question, I really have tried to find the answer before posting, but, anyway;

Wanting to Direct Play to EMBY Theater... is that the correct terminology?  At least the real issue is I want to play DTS HD Audio.  It seems my server is transcoding, which ends up not being DTS HD Audio.  What am I doing wrong?  Log attached is from Win7 HTPC

Thank you anyone for any assistance.

bluejoe247

Hi, thank you very much for taking the time to respond, I'm sure you must be a very busy guy;

so I thought if he could play the trailer

Info InternalDirectShowPlayer: Playing Path \\EARTH\USA\Media\Movies\Florida\TRAFFIC\trailers\trailer.mp4

then he should be able to play the movie:

Info InternalDirectShowPlayer: Playing Path http://192.168.69.140:8096DeviceId=URANUS&MediaSourceId= ...... 

or does the above mean it IS being transcoded?  I though I had UNC paths defined correctly, but I will certainly look at path substitution as you suggest.

so then if I have it setup correctly, from within the web browser I should see the path substituted? i.e. M:\MOVIES\FLORIDA\..... ?

Thank you again for your time!

Yes, that path indicates it is streaming from the server.

You shouldn't see "M:..."  you should see "\\EARTH\..." like the trailer.

If you defined the library with a drive letter, then you will need to setup path substitution.

bluejoe247

Hi, well, clearly I am still confused.  If he can see the trailers, why could he not see the movies?  They exist on the same path.

Thank you.

Hi, thank you very much for taking the time to respond, I'm sure you must be a very busy guy;

so I thought if he could play the trailer

Info InternalDirectShowPlayer: Playing Path \\EARTH\USA\Media\Movies\Florida\TRAFFIC\trailers\trailer.mp4

then he should be able to play the movie:

Info InternalDirectShowPlayer: Playing Path http://192.168.69.140:8096DeviceId=URANUS&MediaSourceId= ...... 

or does the above mean it IS being transcoded?  I though I had UNC paths defined correctly, but I will certainly look at path substitution as you suggest.

so then if I have it setup correctly, from within the web browser I should see the path substituted? i.e. M:\MOVIES\FLORIDA\..... ?

Thank you again for your time!

In addition to what Ebr said, since you've learned how to find the Emby Theater log, please post a copy of that for us. Thanks.

ah it's a bluray folder rip. it's transcoding because those are still on the to do list for the new emby theater app. everything else should direct play as you're expecting

bluejoe247

very good, thank you for your time!  I'm sure blu ray's will be supported soon.  Does he support ISO's?

btw, your architecture and support is awesome, I'm happy to be a supporter.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
harrying

When using PlayTo DLNA on xBoxOne I get direct play

When using Emby Theater for XboxOne it always transcodes

Have added path substitutions but to no avail

Any suggestions

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

Does Emby Windows Theater support direct play for Blu Ray Rips yet?

Thank you very much!

yes

bluejoe247

Well, it is definitely different now; unfortunately, I still seem to be doing something wrong.  There are a lot of error reports, did my server install not go correctly?  Then, do I need a profile for EMBY theater? Not sure I would know how to set up a profile...

thank you very much for your support so far!

server-63596040075.txt

Well, it is definitely different now; unfortunately, I still seem to be doing something wrong.  There are a lot of error reports, did my server install not go correctly?  Then, do I need a profile for EMBY theater? Not sure I would know how to set up a profile...

thank you very much for your support so far!

Can you please start by describing your issue in detail? Also you declined the .net framework 4.6 installation. That's OK for now but if you continue to do that, future versions of Emby Server are going to fail to run.

bluejoe247

oh, sorry, still trying to direct play a blu ray rip through EMBY Theater, without transcoding; Didn't intentionally decline .net, I will try to correct that.

Is that precluding me from direct play?

Thank you very much for your response.

Latchmor

No, you just need to install and run the app. And if you want it to play directly over the LAN then you'll need to make sure it can access the media paths directly. Check out our library setup wiki:

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Library%20Setup

Let us know if you're still having trouble. Thanks.

Hi Luke, I maybe wrong but I notice bluejoe247 mentions ISOs a bit further up before he asked about rips. He is perhaps trying to play ISOs?

Cheers

bluejoe247

Thank you; I though I had that set up properly, and the reason I'm asking about profiles is:

2016-04-12 06:52:53.6840 Info App: Profile: Unknown Profile, Path: \\EARTH\USA\Media\Movies\Florida\Alien Vs Predator, isEligibleForDirectPlay: True, isEligibleForDirectStream: True
2016-04-12 06:52:53.7152 Info App: Profile: Unknown Profile, No direct play profiles found for Path: \\EARTH\USA\Media\Movies\Florida\Alien Vs Predator
2016-04-12 06:52:53.7465 Info App: Profile: Unknown Profile, Path: \\EARTH\USA\Media\Movies\Florida\Alien Vs Predator, isEligibleForDirectPlay: True, isEligibleForDirectStream: True
2016-04-12 06:52:53.7465 Info App: Profile: Unknown Profile, No direct play profiles found for Path: \\EARTH\USA\Media\Movies\Florida\Alien Vs Predator
2016-04-12 06:52:53.8090 Info HttpServer: HTTP Response 200 to 192.168.69.114. Time: 281ms. http://192.168.69.140:8096/emby/Items/8ea229a6e0be4a51f8a017275e5b192c/PlaybackInfo?UserId=d346910290dfc268bdf2c915f879ab89&StartTimeTicks=0
2016-04-12 06:53:04.9662 Debug HttpServer: Exiting HttpConnection.OnReadInternal because nread=0. ConnectionId: a8cd5674bbef4f87acfb69fdfcafc284

the HTPC, or machine  hosting EMBY Theater can access \\earth......

bluejoe247

Trying to Direct Play a Blu Ray Rip without transcoding:

ok, I did a re-install of the server, install .net, and things seem to be much better.  I played the same movie within EMBY theater, the video is 1080, the audio is DTS, which was the original goal in the first place.  I then go to the IE user interface, and the server indicates the movie is being played, but "transcoding" is displayed;  (in the thumbnail)

I know I'm being a real pain, but I just want to understand and get a good working foundation of your product, which I think is awesome, by the way.

Thank you for your patience.

server-63596124655.txt

On the theater side it does a very simple file system check with the operating system. It checks if the directory exists

\\EARTH\USA\Media\Movies\Florida\Alien Vs Predator

If yes it direct plays. If no it transcodes. There could be any number of reasons why it might return no, including that it just doesn't have access.