Emby and CloudFlare

KillermanGabe
Go to solution Solved by bigjohn,

KillermanGabe

A couple of days ago I posted a thread about how my website was failing to load when using SSL. I've finally figured out what the problem was. Since I use CloudFlare as my DNS for domain I use their SSL, Caching, etc. However, when I disable SSL and set the domain to not go through CloudFlare servers (by making the cloud on the DNS page turn grey) so it bypasses everything except basic DNS. Now Emby works flawlessly without any issues. I am a bit bummed that I cannot use CloudFlare for SSL but now everything is working. Does Emby support CloudFlare or is my hosting provider not liking CloudFlare?

Thanks,
Gabriel Gulla

emby-server-2-1-16.pdf

carlbme

You mentioned using CloudFlare for the caching as well. Have you tried to disable that? Just use the SSL and DNS?

It sounds like it's either your SSL or the caching. I'd start with just testing the service without the caching and see how that goes as I think that's likely to cause a great deal of issues.

KillermanGabe

I tried disabling all other features except for SSL using page rules and it worked for a couple hours then started timing out again. I forgot to mention in the post above that I have a custom valid SSL certificate installed on Emby. I'm using CloudFlare's Strict SSL setting. (SSL between browser and CloudFlare and it checks that there is a valid SSL cert between CloudFlare and my server.) However, all settings of SSL deliver the same result.

Edit: Forgot to check if SSL works without going thru CloudFlare. Just tried now and it seems to be working fine. (Using SSL on Emby)

Edited by KillermanGabe

@@bigjohn - Do I remember some restrictions with the CF free SSL implementation?

Honestly, I don't remember.

Gabe, does everything work properly for you when cloudflare is enabled without using SSL on either emby or cloudflare?

KillermanGabe

Honestly, I don't remember.

Gabe, does everything work properly for you when cloudflare is enabled without using SSL on either emby or cloudflare?

No, just having the site go through CloudFlare Proxies results in it timing out. I have since switched to GoDaddy DNS and have it working with just SSL on Emby. It would be nice if I could switch back to CloudFlare though.

• Solution

So it is not an SSL issue, it is a cloudflare + emby issue. Not sure what you have tried, but are you aware that cloudflare only proxies traffic over the following ports?

HTTP:

HTTPS:

For traffic on any other ports you have to create a special dns record using a subdomain and you'll be bypassing the cloudflare proxy anyway.

• Like 3

gstuartj

I'm using CloudFlare successfully with Emby. I'm routing my traffic through CloudFlare and using their caching & SSL. Minification, Rocket Loader, and any other features that may modify page content do need to be off; things were broken on load otherwise. I never had connectivity issues, though. Are you getting an error from CloudFlare?

Edited by gstuartj

• 1 month later...
KillermanGabe

Sorry for the bump, but I purchased CloudFlare's Pro plan for $20 and now Emby and CloudFlare work flawlessly together. I had to turn caching off but even with caching off my site is still much faster than without CloudFlare.