ServerWMC passing media info (encoding) to Emby?

silow

My current setup is a HDHomrun Prime using a cablecard with Comcast service, Win 7 WMC as PVR, ServerWMC, and Emby.

In the GPU transcoding thread under General Discussion Luke mentioned the current build of Emby (5818) will transcode Live TV streams using Quicksync but only if media info such as encoding is known.

I reviewed my transcoding logs and it appears container is passed to Emby but not encoding. Is this a function of available media info from the service provider (Comcast), the HDHomerun, or ServerWMC?

It would be pretty nice to get QSV working with Live TV streams via ServerWMC.

There's not much krustyreturns can do about this because the media info of the live tv stream isn't known in advance, and serverwmc doesn't do any probing (like most of the other tv plugins don't).

krustyreturns

Not necessarily.  If serverwmc has been configured to use the tuner's dlna capabilities for live streams, then you are right that it does no probing of the live stream.  But if dlna is turned off, serverwmc does probe the live stream and does send back media info.  

krustyreturns

@@silow,

You don't have to disable it, all you have to do is tell serverwmc not to use it.  If you go to the 'Live TV' tab in serverwmc, at the bottom you'll see dlna mode.  Make sure emby is unchecked.

Edited by krustyreturns
  • Like 1

Disabled DNLA for Emby in ServerWMC and looks like Emby is attempting to use QSV now but getting the following error in the transcode log:

[mpeg2_qsv @ 00000000035afa00] Error initializing an internal MFX session
Error while decoding stream #0:2: Error number -40 occurred

Tried doing a google search but could not find any info on this error number.

transcode-c843e4e8-36ae-491c-9670-ad8340f812d9.txt

krustyreturns

Well the media info got there at least  :) .  The first error (out of order) on dts is specific to h264 streams and serverwmc.  The latest version of serverwmc fixes this (1227) give it a try and see if you get any further in the transcode.  To get the latest version  choose 'Preview' on the update tab of serverwmc.

krustyreturns

And its the same error even though the stream is mpeg2.  Without more info I don't know what to do from here.  If you find out is what is causing it I'd be willing to make whatever changes I need to on my side.

And its the same error even though the stream is mpeg2.  Without more info I don't know what to do from here.  If you find out is what is causing it I'd be willing to make whatever changes I need to on my side.

Thanks for your help. There's nothing you can do here.

Tried again after updating to serverwmc 1227.  May still be failing with the same issue.  Attached transcode log

Ensure your video drivers are up to date. If the issue persists then disable the quicksync function for now.

• 3 weeks later...

I can confirm that QuickSync works using ServerWMC.

All my tuners are non-dlna, so I didn't have to adjust the dlna mode options.

Here's the log to a successful Live Tv transcode: transcode-f055ea5c-734e-4844-a137-bf20bf5b511d.txt

However, playback of .wtv recordings with QuickSync enabled plays at the incorrect aspect ratio - all files play at 704x480 resolution

Here's the transcode log of a playback: (QSV) transcode-8a7330fe-0a63-499d-837b-b14c6d8ca9df.txt

and here's the same file, with QuickSync turned off (auto mode) which plays correctly: (Auto) transcode-ec468f70-83d5-4ef7-9557-6c44488c544e.txt

Pretty weird.

CFC