'Skip delete confirmation' as an independent setting?

GollyJer

GollyJer

I am LOVING Emby and Emby for Kodi.  My old combersome sqllite setup is long gone and almost forgotten. Thanks for the great effort. :-)

It seems you guys have fixed (at least partially) one of the only things that annoys me about Kodi... there is now way to "Remove and Delete"  an episode/movie without having to answer two popups.

1) Do you want to remove from library... YES.

2) Do you want to delete from server... YES.

In the Playback settings you've added the cool feature to 'Offer to delete after playback' with the even cooler feature 'Skip delete confirmation'.

I think the 'Skip delete confirmation' feature could be broken out as it's own functionality.  Many times my wife will watch a show and leave it in Kodi for me to watch.  Once I watch it, I click delete (and get the double confirmation).

It would be great to have 'Skip delete confirmation' turned on.  This way, when I delete a file from anywhere in Kodi I will only be asked 'Do you want to remove from library'.  One confirmation... done!

Thoughts?  Am I crazy to be the only one that hates the double confirmation?

xnappo

Have you tried the new 'Emby Options' context menu in the beta?  We are likely going to remove the library->delete option in favor of that menu longer term.

• 2 weeks later...
GollyJer

Ok, tried the Emby Options delete path.  Once you actually get to the Delete option it does exactly what it should... remove from database and delete.  But, it took like 12 clicks to make it happen.  I'd LOVE the option to simply hit Delete on my keyboard (actually set up as a button on my Harmony remote) and get the remove confirmation that comes from the Emby Options section.

xnappo

I went to look at the code to tell you how to do it, as it seems like a corner case to me.

But, looks like @@Angelblue05 already has this implemented and has for quite some time.

Are you using the beta?  If not - we are pushing to stable Monday and you should see it.

GollyJer

I'm on 2.1.0 which I think is the newest... yeah?

I'm not seeing a setting that allows one click "delete & remove from library".  Can you point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

xnappo

Looking at the code, it seems like if you turn on 'Skip delete confirmation' in the 'Offer delete' area, it would also skip it when you use the delete key.

I could be misreading it though, not at home to check.

You have to turn on the 'Offer Delete' setting to see it - the setup for the settings are a bit weird.  You could still leave the 'offer delete' off for movies and tv, and just change the 'confirm' setting.

Edited by xnappo
  • Like 1

GollyJer

OK, cool!  I was able to get it to work the way I want by turning on "Offer delete after playback" but turning off episodes and movies (pretty much disabling "offer delete after playback") but leaving on "Skip delete confirmation".

Working exactly as desired!  Thanks.

56bcd0d241b77_20160211_13h16_25.png

In my opinion "Skip delete confirmation" should be moved to the Extras section.  It's an awesome feature, but separate considering it affects more than just the "offer to delete after playback" option.

Best!

Jeremy

• Like 1

Angelblue05

Indeed Jeremy, I agree with you. I will see that it's moved to extras. I'll review the code as well... I don't recall making it depend on the delete after playback setting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Angelblue05

xnappo

Yeah, and actually having the confirm delete optional in 'player.py' is pretty insane.  With that set it won't 'offer delete' it will just delete when you hit stop!  Surely no one wants that!

So I say move this setting out of the 'Offer Playback' block, and REMOVE the code from player.py that looks at it.

With that done, the option should be called 'Confirm server delete when item removed from library'.

Edited by xnappo
  • Like 1

Angelblue05

There was one user that wanted that. He didn't want to confirm after playback, he didn't want to confirm after deleting from library. In fact, he's the only reason the setting is there in the first place.

And it won't delete from hitting stop. The played percentage is also looked at to ensure only played items are actually deleted.

Edited by Angelblue05

GollyJer

Awesome.  Thanks for the response guys.

Two things.

1)

Yeah, I stopped using "offer to delete on playback" because of the current behavior.  It is crazy.

BUT, I like the idea.

That setting should be called "offer to remove from database after playback".

From there, upon entering the remove/delete sequence, the user will either get two popups (the default Kodi behavior) or one popup (if the new 'Confirm server delete when item removed from library').  Then it's just one click to remove/delete and a lot safer than "auto-delete".

Also, leaving the Episode and Movie options would be good as episodes, I would guess, are deleted more often than movies.

2)

I'd offer the suggested advanced setting name as...

"Delete file when item removed from library"  Yes | No  <---Default

This way it doesn't have anything to do with the confirmation dialog which could cause confusion like "is it always deleted, just not confirmed?"

Edited by Jeremy Gollehon

xnappo

There was one user that wanted that. He didn't want to confirm after playback, he didn't want to confirm after deleting from library. In fact, he's the only reason the setting is there in the first place.

And it won't delete from hitting stop. The played percentage is also looked at to ensure only played items are actually deleted.

That is still nuts.  Are you sure he wasn't talking about the double confirm from a manual delete?  It would piss me off to no end if I accidentally hit stop at 95% and it deleted it!

Angelblue05

Ok, but you don't have the skip delete confirmation enabled... Right? The setting is not for everyone. Anyway, as I said a few posts above, I'll review the code to see what we can do about it.

Probably break it off into it's own setting. With the option to skip after playback or after deleting via the context menu (both controlled individually)

Plus we can't remove the on.remove via the context menu because Helix doesn't support custom context menu options.

Edited by Angelblue05

xnappo

I wasn't saying the code was broken, just trying to wrap my brain around how anyone could want to turn that on.

Angelblue05

Ah yes, trust me, I've asked him the same questions. I personally could not see why one would want this behavior either. I'll see to contact him, I forget his username, but I can check the archived trello card to find the OP.

Anyway, nothing is ever set in stone :) we can readjust.

Edited by Angelblue05

Angelblue05

This statement really bugs me for some reason, having the direction of the project governed  by one users whim is not a good direction to take.

Note this feature has been implemented for months now. I don't see how it matters if it was a one-user request? If no one had any interested in it, then they can leave the setting disabled? It was not forced upon anyone. I would hardly count this request as a new direction governed by one user. :)

Anyway, the setting will be made more granular, since this is the first request I've received for that setting since implementing it.

Edited by Angelblue05

Angelblue05

In most cases, yes, I agree with you. But we are talking about a one-liner "if statement" wrapper for a dialog... :)

Edited by Angelblue05

xnappo

Yes, but in this case it is a batsh*t crazy feature and the person who asked for it is insane.  If another user turns that on they will end up very sad.

I agree with making Emby for Kodi more customizable than Emby Theatre - that is a big design difference between the two - but no batsh*t crazy switches should be in the settings.  If there were negative votes on Trello, this would be a negative 200.

Edited by xnappo

Angelblue05

The changes are in github. The setting has been moved to Extras. I will release a build soon.

I don't know what I was going on about. Sorry guys, it was my mistake. Looking back at github history and searching forums posts, it must have been a fail copy paste on my part during the refactor. I have removed the playback prompt skip, the setting has been adjusted accordingly. Case closed. Moving on, before I die of embarrassment.  :)

Edited by Angelblue05
  • Like 2

xnappo

Oh good - I feel much better knowing there isn't someone out there that wants stuff deleted when they hit stop at the end automatically!

xnappo

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
GollyJer

Hi guys.  I think I read in another thread that this feature has been disabled in the latest builds.  Is that true?

If so, how do I get Kodi to start asking me to 'Delete File" after 'Remove from Database'.

I have 'Skip Emby delete confirmation for the context menu' turned off, but the delete confirmation still doesn't come up....

Thanks,

Jeremy

Angelblue05

You need to be on Isengard or higher for the delete option. The option shows up via the context menu > Emby options > Delete <--- this is where the skip confirmation is applied. I will add an entrypoint so you can add it to your keymap if you wish (still need to be done).