Emby on QNAP Hybriddesk station

pushka7

I see Plex in the list of apps but - is it possible to Emby on QNAP Hybriddesk station? and if so, how do I go about it?

Edited by pushka7

I already have server installed. I guess I need to wait until you have an app for the Hybriddesk station. Any idea on timescales?

On the Hybriddesk station you can run Kodi, Plex, etc without having to fully log onto QNAP QTS. I have my QNAP server connected direct to a projectoor via the HDMI and it would be very convenient to have Emby available on Hybriddesk station in the same way as you can have Plex.

It would only need to be an app for browsing and playing.

Screenshot of Hybrid Desktop Management attached

post-106334-0-58203800-1454184419_thumb.png

Edited by pushka7

Ok, I understand now. Yes we should look into an app. Have you tried chrome on the Hybriddesk station? because the web client with Chrome is pretty robust. 

• 2 weeks later...

You should look into emby for kodi as suggested, it's really great.

No offence luke but suggesting to use the a browser as a client/player is an insult. It's like having a blue-ray player, 4K tv and surrond system, but you can only play dvd's with stero sound. Yes it works, yes it might be "robust" but seriously ?

Also I belive Hybriddesk station is about to be replaced by "linux station", so this is not the time to be looking into a native app.

if you don't need audio bitstreaming the chrome video player is very good. i would put aside your web browser perception because that really is meaningless now in 2016. it really just depends on whether you want a desktop layout or a layout designed for tv.

I believe we will get there at one point with the web browser, but today it's far off. It's not just about the audio, people use expensive gfx cards and advanced video renders to get the picture quality top notch. In a browser you will most likely get transcoded video and jittery playback (unless you manually change refreshrate). Sure for watching on mobile, a tablet or even desktop the browser may be fine, but on a large tv or in this case a projector it's a bad option. That being said if you leave kodi at default settings on the qnap it's not much better.

In chrome there's very little video transcoding. Maybe i should revise my statement to also include refresh rate switching. If you don't care about that and don't need audio bitstreaming, chrome is a very good choice.

well, if you don't notice the jitter (I know quite a few people actually don't) and don't notice the difference between stereo and surround, well ok then, the browser is fine for you. The interface is nice albeit not remote friendly. Some people are content with Nissan Leaf other prefer Tesla performance. I for one would rather not watch a movie than to watch it with jitter.

raven-au

In chrome there's very little video transcoding. Maybe i should revise my statement to also include refresh rate switching. If you don't care about that and don't need audio bitstreaming, chrome is a very good choice.

But IMHO using a browser in an environment like Hybriddesk Station misses the point.

It's the ability of using a remote for navigation in applications like the Emby Android TV client on a TV or projector that makes using a media player app rather than a browser necessary.

Using a browser in Hybriddesk Station requires at least getting a custom remote, an air mouse for example, and is something of a pain even with one.

Ian

• Like 2

raven-au

You should look into emby for kodi as suggested, it's really great.

No offence luke but suggesting to use the a browser as a client/player is an insult. It's like having a blue-ray player, 4K tv and surrond system, but you can only play dvd's with stero sound. Yes it works, yes it might be "robust" but seriously ?

Also I belive Hybriddesk station is about to be replaced by "linux station", so this is not the time to be looking into a native app.

That might work but the version of Kodi might be older and if it isn't now it probably will become so.

Emby for Kodi will probably stop working unless there is some effort to support older versions of Kodi with the plugin.

OTOH if there's an Emby client that runs on Ubuntu (may probably require support of an older version of Ubuntu) then the challenge is working out how to bundle the Ubuntu package contents as a qnap package for Hybriddesk Station. That shouldn't be too hard but is time consuming.

Ian 

Edited by raven-au

raven-au

That might work but the version of Kodi might be older and if it isn't now it probably will become so.

Emby for Kodi will probably stop working unless there is some effort to support older versions of Kodi with the plugin.

OTOH if there's an Emby client that runs on Ubuntu (may probably require support of an older version of Ubuntu) then the challenge is working out how to bundle the Ubuntu package contents as a qnap package for Hybriddesk Station. That shouldn't be too hard but is time consuming. 

Actually that's a bit of an over simplification of what's involved.

The Ubuntu package needs to work on the target NAS hardware (mostly the graphics hardware can be a problem) and shared libraries not present in the default Hybriddesk Station Ubuntu chroot environment need to be bundled in the qnap package too as well as any particular dependent programs that aren't available at the required version or build.

Edited by raven-au

But IMHO using a browser in an environment like Hybriddesk Station misses the point.

It's the ability of using a remote for navigation in applications like the Emby Android TV client on a TV or projector that makes using a media player app rather than a browser necessary.

Using a browser in Hybriddesk Station requires at least getting a custom remote, an air mouse for example, and is something of a pain even with one.

Ian

I agree that the ability to use the remote and quickly access the library is the main thing. Otherwise I need a wireless keyboard and mouse to bring up the browser type in the address, etc. 

Simplicity is the key

• 2 months later...

Having just purchased a QNAP to make things easier, I found not being able to access Emby via HD Station my biggest loss. :( Using Emby now for over 7 months I've come to love it MUCH greater than Plex. 

Setup the QNAP (1st time ever doing anything with QNAP) and found the way it works when connected via HDMI (HDMI connect was reason I bought TS-453a) is via HD Station.

I have tried:

- HD Station Chrome - whilst this works there are a few reasons it is not appropriate for me and just doesn't make it a "neat" solution, including, preference not to have to use a keyboard 

- HD Station Kodi - this works, but really cumbersome in flow and just not the Embi GUI that I've come to really appreciate and love so much.

Unfortunately, I'm going to have to go back to Plex for the time being since it does have an app for HD Station. Again, not to my preference in GUI like Emby, but it works. 

Alternatively, can someone can offer any suggestion if they have a QNAP connected to TV via HDMI. 

With biggest hope, please, Emby come out with an app for HD Station. 

Thanks to anyone listening.

Having just purchased a QNAP to make things easier, I found not being able to access Emby via HD Station my biggest loss. :( Using Emby now for over 7 months I've come to love it MUCH greater than Plex. 

Setup the QNAP (1st time ever doing anything with QNAP) and found the way it works when connected via HDMI (HDMI connect was reason I bought TS-453a) is via HD Station.

I have tried:

- HD Station Chrome - whilst this works there are a few reasons it is not appropriate for me and just doesn't make it a "neat" solution, including, preference not to have to use a keyboard 

- HD Station Kodi - this works, but really cumbersome in flow and just not the Embi GUI that I've come to really appreciate and love so much.

Unfortunately, I'm going to have to go back to Plex for the time being since it does have an app for HD Station. Again, not to my preference in GUI like Emby, but it works. 

Alternatively, can someone can offer any suggestion if they have a QNAP connected to TV via HDMI. 

With biggest hope, please, Emby come out with an app for HD Station. 

Thanks to anyone listening.

Hi, we are working with QNAP to get the latest version of the server into AppStation. In the meantime, you know that a QNAP member provides downloadable packages of Emby Server, and the end result is the same, right? They can be found here:

http://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?t=109476

Thanks.

Hi, we are working with QNAP to get the latest version of the server into AppStation. In the meantime, you know that a QNAP member provides downloadable packages of Emby Server, and the end result is the same, right? They can be found here:

http://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?t=109476

Thanks.

Thanks Admin.

Yes, I'd already downloaded the server from the site you pointed to. I selected the Standard Version because I don't know the difference with the other two.

Server installed and works great, but it's the playing side of things that I'm struggling with. I control my QNAP via laptop - I can configure Emby server and even watch a movie, but of course it plays on my laptop.

My QNAP is connected direct to TV via HDMI so I would like Emby to go direct from QNAP to TV using HDMI. The only way (that I am aware of) for a QNAP to work through HDMI is using its app called HybridDesk Station. HD Station is like a repository for other apps to then also output direct through HDMI. I'm not sure how it's done but seems like third-party apps have to be specifically developed (or something) to be available for this HD Station repository.

You mention working with QNAP for AppStation but what I'm hoping for, I believe, is a player (like Emby has for Samsung, Android, etc) for QNAP's HybridDesk Station.

Hope this makes sense.