[Android Client][REQ] Play local (on-device) content.

trusselo

trusselo

Option / Ability to play on-device, unsorted un-fetched videos.  Give it its own collection/section "Local Content". Option to hide if unwanted. Option to add/remove MB3 as a known system video player as well, to allow to be default player.

Also you cannot find the android client in the play store if you search for "Media Browser 3" , like i just did. The "3" screws you. might want to update android name or add "3" to search keywords of the app.

Redshirt

Option / Ability to play on-device, unsorted un-fetched videos.  Give it its own collection/section "Local Content". Option to hide if unwanted. Option to add/remove MB3 as a known system video player as well, to allow to be default player.

Interesting suggestions. I'd need to see what user demand there is first. As for the player. I think it needs to get better first before people might want to use it as a stand-alone player.

Also you cannot find the android client in the play store if you search for "Media Browser 3" , like i just did. The "3" screws you. might want to update android name or add "3" to search keywords of the app.

There is no where for me to add additional search terms.  I'm not so sure I want to rename it to include a 3. The team has removed the 3 from all branding so it's not as relevant now.

• 6 months later...
FrankAZ

I second the request to play local content. 

What I'd like to find is an Android app which works very much like a standalone old-school MB2 client. Something which I could point to a folder on the phone/tablet containing folders I copied from the MB3 server, except with the video files suitably converted. The app would then present a pretty art-filled interface from which I could browse and launch my video collection.

It's be nice to use the MB3 Android app for that purpose since it is already familiar and is cosmetically ideal.

But, if anyone can suggest an existing Android app with many of the behaviors of the MB3 client, except to play local files, it would be very welcome. My use-case is that while traveling with my tablet I am separated from my media server and frequently separated from any internet access. Particularly while in the act of traveling. Navigating to a folder and selecting suitably named mp4 files seems so old-school now, and also rummaging elbow-deep in an Android filesystem is too much to ask of my family.

Frank.

Redshirt

Playing local content will definitely be an addition at some point. The server would need to be enhanced so that it could resolve and download metadata for content that isn't part of the library. Otherwise the user is just viewing a directory of info-less media.

well not that just, but Red, I notice many android media players will pickup content stored on the device (or sd card?) and allow it to be played.

Redshirt

I can do the same. Scan a users various media folders. There would just be no presentation factor other than a default image and whatever the file happened to be named.

I think that is fine. I think you'll be surprised how many people are ok with just having the basics.

blade005

I second the request to play local content. 

What I'd like to find is an Android app which works very much like a standalone old-school MB2 client. Something which I could point to a folder on the phone/tablet containing folders I copied from the MB3 server, except with the video files suitably converted. The app would then present a pretty art-filled interface from which I could browse and launch my video collection.

It's be nice to use the MB3 Android app for that purpose since it is already familiar and is cosmetically ideal.

But, if anyone can suggest an existing Android app with many of the behaviors of the MB3 client, except to play local files, it would be very welcome. My use-case is that while traveling with my tablet I am separated from my media server and frequently separated from any internet access. Particularly while in the act of traveling. Navigating to a folder and selecting suitably named mp4 files seems so old-school now, and also rummaging elbow-deep in an Android filesystem is too much to ask of my family.

Frank.

Frank,

You can try the solution below for your Android device for local content playback. It can also access SMB Shares and DLNA servers.

http://mizuu.tv/

It looks like the developer has made a free version available on his website for download, if you are okay with side loading the APK file.  He also has a version available on Google Play store for a fee. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.miz.mizuu  It looks like the versions are the same currently, but I am guessing that the paid version will probably be updated and available to you more frequently and you would get developer support, if needed.

I have used it in the past and I believe it will provide the capabilities you are seeking for local content playback with a visually appealing interface and media detail.  Point it at your local media for TV and Movies and it will use many of the same metadata grabbers as Media Browser for artwork and media details. It does not include an internal player. Point it at your preferred local player (i.e. MX Player for me) and it will use it as the default player.

Eventually, I would like to see sync capability within the Media Browser infrastructure. Copy content over to device and have MB Android manage playback and have the ability to sync back up with MB Server for resume status and watched status. But, the solution above might be a decent bridge solution while Media Browser continues to evolve.

Redshirt,

Developer states that his source code is now part of an open source project. Perhaps you can incorporate some of it into your app as a local media playback solution.  I am no developer, so I have no idea if that is of any interest or value to you.  Just FYI.

Edited by blade005

• 2 weeks later...
w84no1

I would like the android app to allow syncing to local device.  So, I could select a movie when I am at home on my network and sync it to the mobile device with all the meta data and when I am away from my MB server I have the movie available.  That would be pretty slick.

christoph86

I would like the android app to allow syncing to local device.  So, I could select a movie when I am at home on my network and sync it to the mobile device with all the meta data and when I am away from my MB server I have the movie available.  That would be pretty slick.

Pretty sure syncing is on the list to be added at some point.

I would like the android app to allow syncing to local device. So, I could select a movie when I am at home on my network and sync it to the mobile device with all the meta data and when I am away from my MB server I have the movie available. That would be pretty slick.

If you point the external player to bubbleupnp you can already do this, via its download option. Minus the metadata of course, since bubbleupnp is an upnp library/renderer. Bubbleupnp and Mediabrowser work beautifully together.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Edited by speechles