So, asking again - Has anyone done anything like Plexpy for Emby yet?

tymanthius

tymanthius

Plexpy is the really the ONLY thing I miss from plex.  Link: https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/169591/plexpy-another-plex-monitoring-program

For those that don't know, it pulls from the logs who has watched what, when, and graphs it in various ways.

For me, the big draw is I have a lot of users (5 kids, wife, some friends, a sister).  So it would be GREAT to be able to look and see 'ok, everyone has seen the last episode of last season of GoT, I can delete that now'

I know Emby logs that info (it displays it right on the server front page).  But there's no easy way to see it historically, or to browse it. And I'm not a coder.  :(

I'd be happy to help in any way I can to get this done tho.

• Like 1

spootdev

I've been very tempted to do this as it would give me practice with Flask/python/charts/etc.  Just been busy fixing bugs in my other projects.   :blink:

tymanthius

I've been very tempted to do this as it would give me practice with Flask/python/charts/etc.  Just been busy fixing bugs in my other projects.   :blink:

You could go fork plexpy - the charts & such code should be reuseable. You'd have to rewrite the 'get it from plex emby' stuff tho.

spootdev

Ya, I forked it over lunch.  Should be just a handful of source files to change...in theory.   Thankfully I have some already written python wrappers for Emby api.   :lol:

Don't hold yer breath though.   ^_^

• Like 2

spootdev

Heh, well, did a couple things this weekend:

1) Setup Plex server again to play around with

2) Installed PlexPy to see what I was getting into....seems to be quite a bit of redundant stuff

3) Realized I have probably 40-50% of the emby API left to code up in Python.....thought I had more done.

4) https://github.com/Meta-Man/EmbyPy- dev tree

5) Did more code for the Emby API.

6) Got fatter on pizza

7) A bit of "branding" on the fork......Plex to Emby in messages/headers/etc

spootdev

Well, ATM it will be as broken as a two legged mule trying to cross a frozen lake......while dead.  Looks like pmsconnect.py runs 95% of the show for dealing with the plex data collection.   2,000 lines......good chunk of that is metadata handling......which I dont' think emby api has?

Edited by spootdev

tymanthius

I have no clue on emby's api. I'm an educated user here.   ;)

For metadata - you mean the pictures & actor names & such?  

For ME (and may you may not care) I'm more interested in getting who watched what when. Which can be pulled from Emby's logs and it's front page feed (if the api doesn't include that already, bad emby devs!).

If it has to pull it from logs, and not api, then that means you either have to install it on same vm as emby, or do complicated path mapping. But still livable.

Just kinda rambling some thoughts right now.

EDIT: And advantage to pulling from logs tho (at least as a one time thing) historacle data!  Could pull everything from all logs currently on system.

Edited by tymanthius

spootdev

For ME (and may you may not care) I'm more interested in getting who watched what when. Which can be pulled from Emby's logs and it's front page feed (if the api doesn't include that already, bad emby devs!).

Yeah, I dont' much see the point of replicating all the metadata and stuff into a "monitoring" program.  Just more cruft to strip out.

spootdev

Ok. I'll grab it some time this week and see how broken it still is.   :)

dev-0.0.1 merged to master......and it's totally broken.   But the app does startup and run.   ^_^   Anywho, got annoyed and decided to fork part of the webui of a different app of mine to make migration easier.

• Like 1

ice pube

dev-0.0.1 merged to master......and it's totally broken.   But the app does startup and run.   ^_^   Anywho, got annoyed and decided to fork part of the webui of a different app of mine to make migration easier.

Thanks for working on this!

• Like 1

spootdev

Should run on the big three when I'm done.  Main development is under Linux so there will be some cross-platform issues to deal with before hitting 1.0.0.  

User accounts can be created now along with signin to the webapp.  Some user stats done........working on library stats atm.

• Like 1

Hello Spootdev,

just something I miss in Emby ( as plexpy )

how can i run the embyPy on a windows machine?

(Emby, Plex and Plexpy is allready running on this machine)

cu Taurec

tymanthius

Finally got around to testing this, did git pull just prior (an hour before this timestamp?).

Are you actually getting a web interface right now? I keep getting either 502 or 403 errors.  :/