Android Marshmallow - Can't select external SD

jon_

Hi,

I had a search but don't think it's been reported before, but I don't seem to be able to select an external SD card as a sync storage location under Marshmallow, emby client 2.5.79

If I go into settings, and select Sync Storage Path, the default selected folder is /storage/emulated/0 - which is the internal SD card.

The up arrow doesn't do anything, the text field doesn't seem to allow editing, so I can't navigate to the external SD...

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Jon

They keep adding and removing and adding.  I've lost count...

But, if you read what you linked the app permissions haven't changed.  There is just a way for you to tell the OS that you want the SD card to be treated as if it were internal.  Did you do that?

:D

I think they took it out initially as it caused problems when connected to a PC, then a load of manufacturers ignored it and and developed their own workarounds to keep SD cards, and now they have given up and added it back in... 

With the advent of cheap 128G SD cards it's stupid not to support them, especially when apple charge a fortune for more storage on idevices...

• 1 month later...
woozle

It's not to do with the ability to write to the SD card - I was happily synching onto the SD card with Lollipop, where the same restrictions applied.

I assume it's because the magnifier/loupe is using the standard system browser for folders, and that's not allowing it to go anywhere other than internal storage.

As long as you set the location to the correct app folder, you can write to it. So mine WAS - and still is, but with the marshmallow upgrade the path to the SD card has actually changed - /storage/sdcard1/Android/data/com.mb.android - you could also use /storage/sdcard1/Android/media/com.mb.android and then the videos would be visible to other apps.

So I guess emby either needs to be updated to use the new SD-card aware writing functions (and including the option for it to write anywhere on the SD card) or to have a different selector for selecting internal storage or SD card, and if you pick SD card it automatically selects the corresponding data/media folder.

I'm sad now that after getting marshmallowed, not only is my battery life completely rubbish, but I can't use my 200GB SD card for synching video with emby :-(

And I wouldn't mind so much if Sony hadn't taken out the adoptable storage ability!

Or make the location field editable so I can just type it in manually :-)

That actually wouldn't solve anything. We need to get the app authorized to access the location. If you just type it in and click save, the sync process will just end up failing later on anyway.

woozle

It would allow you to type in one of the two locations that it can ALWAYS write to, as I mentioned.

Edited by woozle

shorty1483

That actually wouldn't solve anything. We need to get the app authorized to access the location. If you just type it in and click save, the sync process will just end up failing later on anyway.

+1 for app requesting permission to access external storage. With MM new inbuilt permission system, it's free for the user to grant permission on MM system popup only when he actively tries to choose the external SD.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
shorty1483

Ok, just configured my new Samsung 32GB tablet with Marshmallow and 128 GB external SD with the latest Beta app. Since e.g. Samsung or Sony does not support adoptable storage, this is no option. 

When sitting here copying manually a lot of video files to the external SD from server via File Explorer, I recognized the following:

@@Luke we need permission for write access to external storage on MM.

Without it on MM (or even LP onwards), the whole sync thing doesn't make sense. And I don't think I will root just to symlink my internal emby folder to external SD. I don't care if I can't use the Emby app to play offline, but I do care if the sync concept is blown with new Android versions.

Edited by shorty1483

Pete_Repeat

So still no way to access external card in Marshmallow with it mounted as an external card like other apps can do? Comes as a bug surprise with my new phone with external storage for this very reason...

I guess this is in line for the emby team along with offline viewing which has been "coming soon" or "next major release" for well over half a year now.

shorty1483

So still no way to access external card in Marshmallow with it mounted as an external card like other apps can do? Comes as a bug surprise with my new phone with external storage for this very reason...

I guess this is in line for the emby team along with offline viewing which has been "coming soon" or "next major release" for well over half a year now.

Agree, saving synced content to external SD is a basic feature for an app in Emby category. Every other app I use with large data amount asks me for Storage permission to external SD in MM. I don't want to see a custom path implementation. But the basic storage permission to a emby data folder on ext SD is a must.

Edited by shorty1483

MSattler

Agree, saving synced content to external SD is a basic feature for an app in Emby category. Every other app I use with large data amount asks me for Storage permission to external SD in MM. I don't want to see a custom path implementation. But the basic storage permission to a emby data folder on ext SD is a must.

So luckily with the Shield this is less of an issue as it essentially turns the microSD card into the primary disk device, granted you lose the storage on the original internal SD card.   However with microSD card's now getting huge it is less of an issue.

MSattler

Read/write speed is still an issue though

Perhaps, but if read/write issue exists, most likely it's due to a slow microsd card.

My shields have been upgraded and they run just as fast on the microsd's as they do on their internal disk.

shorty1483

So luckily with the Shield this is less of an issue as it essentially turns the microSD card into the primary disk device, granted you lose the storage on the original internal SD card.   However with microSD card's now getting huge it is less of an issue.

Really don't know why Samsung and Sony left the adopting storage feature behind in their current MM builds...this is one of the coolest features of the new base. All my hope to the devs @@Luke @@ebr to implement external storage permission request.

Pete_Repeat

Really don't know why Samsung and Sony left the adopting storage feature behind in their current MM builds...this is one of the coolest features of the new base. All my hope to the devs @@Luke @@ebr to implement external storage permission request.

Doesn't that limit the speed of internal storage to the external storage card though? So cheaper large cards will slow the device down which isn't exactly ideal. 

I can see why the option should be there for people's choice, although I prefer my external card to be used for storage only (so music and video) without affecting the speed of my device (which is probably why Samsung don't want the option either)

I understand that different people have different uses so agree the option should be with the user.. 

But hopefully Emby get onto this quickly as it really is a fundamental thing for syncing and local storage rather than an unusual request... 

I don't want to troll unnecessarily but this and offline use seems to be more empty hopes seeing they have both been acknowledged but no evidence (other than empty comments)  of  them being addressed any time soon. I hope I am wrong however.

if you guys look at the current beta it mentions SSL improvements. As soon as that beta gets pushed through to the public version, the next thing will be re-targeting the app for api 23 which is going to mean reworking the permissions model. You might have noticed recent releases removing permissions that are no longer needed. That is prep work for this since removing anything we don't need will make that transition easier.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
shorty1483

...such as targeting the app for api 23 and supporting runtime folder permissions, ...

which is still not working m8. :(

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...