The FCC is Pushing to "unlock the set-top box"...

CFC

The FCC will be voting to allow 3rd party hardware and software to get access to pay-tv video programming.

This could be huge, or it could end up like the CableCARD experiment. It sounds like they may have learned from that though.

I'm dreaming of Emby with my personal media mixed in with access to the premium channels as well.

I'll choose to be optimistic about this, and be hopeful for some good news and future implementations:

Here's the Ars Technica story on it: http://arstechnica.com/business/2016/01/in-blow-to-cable-lobby-fcc-wants-tv-to-be-available-on-any-device/

CFC

Edited by CFC
  • Like 2

thefirstofthe300

That is an interesting article.  It sounds like DRM protected content might actually be able to make its way to software like Emby.  It was tough to tell if this push also applies to subscription services like HBO Go or Netflix though.

xnappo

I don't see how this means DRM will not be a huge problem for software like Emby.

Just sounds like they want TV available on Roku, which it already is for me anyway on TWC.  Of course you can't pause it or record it (well, not without some handy HDMI splitters anyway).

It's nice although I wish it had come 5 years ago. This only matters in the US, and it's impact will decline over time as the move towards streaming content continues. One day HBO and others are going to turn around and say we're not doing cable anymore. That day is still several years away, but it is going to happen.

I don't see how this means DRM will not be a huge problem for software like Emby.

Just sounds like they want TV available on Roku, which it already is for me anyway on TWC.  Of course you can't pause it or record it (well, not without some handy HDMI splitters anyway).

yea I don't think it will affect DRM, but it may allow content to be displayed in alternative interfaces.

Koleckai Silvestri

By the time it gets drafted, passed through Congress, redrafted by Cable Lobbyists, and then enacted, it will be just as effective as current Cable Card rules or Net Neutrality.

I agree with Luke in that the content providers will continue creating their own individual streaming services and will eventually abandon the cable distributors. Services like Hulu and Netflix will fill the gaps. DRM isn't going anywhere though.

thefirstofthe300

By the time it gets drafted, passed through Congress, redrafted by Cable Lobbyists, and then enacted, it will be just as effective as current Cable Card rules or Net Neutrality.

I agree with Luke in that the content providers will continue creating their own individual streaming services and will eventually abandon the cable distributors. Services like Hulu and Netflix will fill the gaps. DRM isn't going anywhere though.

I agree that DRM isn't going anywhere.  Digital media DRM is more of an annoyance to me than anything.  What really ticks me off is where DRM is popping up outside of digital media, and it has the potential to actually kill people.

This problem came to my attention during the Volkswagen scandal.  The details are still a bit sketchy to me but it sounds like their software was DRM protected.  I think the guys who figured out what the defeat device's software was doing got around the DRM legally, but it raises an interesting question: what happens if Joe Shmoe breaks the software DRM to take a look at the software on the car HE OWNS (this isn't a license like a Google Play movie, he owns every physical piece of that car) to make sure it doesn't have any major bugs, and he finds a flaw that has the potential to cause hundreds of car wrecks.  He just saved hundreds of lives, AND he ends up in prison for several years because he violated the DMCA...THE FRICKING DMCA!  The record companies were the ones that pushed that threw Congress and now the auto dealers can hide behind it?!

I wonder what people would say about DRM if they knew that the car they are driving has DRM protected software that no one is auditing for security vulnerabilties and general flaws for fear of prosecution.  I can just see in the next couple of years that a car maker releases a car with a bug in the software that causes hundreds of crashes.  I hate to be fatalist, but we have the concept of Murphy's law for a reason.  If it can go wrong, it will.

My post might be a little off-topic, but I just wanted to give everyone a heads up about where DRM is going now.

Deathsquirrel

FCC rules don't require congressional approval, fyi.  Still usually a very slow process.

As for separate apps for individual providrs, I think that's the biggest thing slowing adoption.  You're right that they want that, but it's a damn stupid design as a tv replacement and it wont fly.

FCC rules don't require congressional approval, fyi.  Still usually a very slow process.

As for separate apps for individual providrs, I think that's the biggest thing slowing adoption.  You're right that they want that, but it's a damn stupid design as a tv replacement and it wont fly.

When all is said and done though it's not really that different from regular tv watching. At least, the potential is there for it to not be that different. Devices are improving their ability to aggregate content from apps, also I'm sure eventually app-switching will get faster and more seamless.

Koleckai Silvestri

FCC rules don't require congressional approval, fyi.

Even if they don't, Congress will get involved and enact laws to make the lobbyists happy. Congress loves screwing things up if it puts money in their pockets.

When all is said and done though it's not really that different from regular tv watching. At least, the potential is there for it to not be that different. Devices are improving their ability to aggregate content from apps, also I'm sure eventually app-switching will get faster and more seamless.

i think this is where the easiest path lies.  i use roku and switching between apps is the only thing that is even somewhat bothersome about it.  it's not like it takes forever, but in the future i can see it being more like changing channels on your tv.  if it gets to that point, and you could get access to all content through an app (free or paid), it would be the same as having the content all in one place.

xnappo

Yes - Tivo does a good job at doing that.  It would be nice if there were a platform with an API where Emby could provide that capability.  May main problem with the current model is that you can't count on even old content continuing to be available.  Hopefully that will change though - I don't actually bother to get copies of music anymore because Google music is reliable.  Just buy stuff from artists I really like to support them more than to have it on my hard drive.

Edited by xnappo