Theatre Surround Sound and Guide

Trevor68
Go to solution Solved by Trevor68,

Trevor68

So i read about the new theatre while I was away and got so hella excited that I subbed lifetime premium immediately.

Now that I am home and playing with a fresh install, my excitement has somewhat diminished (must not cry!).

1: No, I am not going to read six five year old topics that all link to each other and apparently another dimension to check issues. Please separate the forums for Free and Premium ASAP.

2: No Surround sound, at all, on anything.

3: Live TV looks FANTASTIC!, Guide is however MT.

So no upgrade to win10 for me just yet, and back to good old Emby for WMC for awhiles I guess.

While I understand the need to charge for the app, why is it released if its not ready?

Trevor68

Ok, please update the sticky with Theatre Log Location, but I'll go digging and see what I can find. Also if people did follow that, I would be able to find some topics to help myself, rather than creating my own topic i guess.

I beg to differ in that I have tried every possible combination of settings for over an hour before I came here to search the forum, and found it, ah shall we say hard to search. For me there is no surround sound.

I'll try to find some sort of post about whats working and whats not I guess. I have been waiting since year dot to upgrade from Emby for WMC so thought I would not be alone in wanting a working guide, again my stupidity I guess.

I'll be back once I find some logs, thanks for the (as always) prompt respone. :-)

Trevor68

Actually lets just save wasted time all round, is there a roughish ETA for the guide? As without one I'm just going to uninstall anyhow.

Trevor68

ok, so working on there is no ETA for the guide, I'll keep bashing away at the fact that I clearly have NO surround sound, of any way shape or form, for any media.Understand that this is a decently powerful Win7 box, with a fully functional Emby Server/Emby for WMC Client.

Today I tried all 3 renderers, all set to HDMI Bitstream, as this is HDMI connected to my Pioneer Receiver. I set speakers to 5.1. As far as windows goes, my default output is of course ATI HDMI set to stereo.

I am totally unsure if these are the right logs for Theatre, but its all I found.

logs.zip

Origins.zip

As far as windows goes, my default output is of course ATI HDMI set to stereo.

Was that a typo?  If not, sure sounds like the issue...

Trevor68

Nope, no typo, has been that way for years and Emby for WMC works perfectly, are you suggesting Theatre requires a different setting? The PC being set to Stereo matters not a bit, as LAV does all the work and outputs via HDMI to the receiver and I get perfect surround sound, Dolby, DTS etc etc.

I am curious why Theatre has Speaker Options, Stereo, 5.1, 7.1 etc. Currently i set them to 5.1 as I have no real idea what they do, or why they are even there?

Anyhow, I posted logs, but until someone could explain HOW Theatre needs to be setup, I'm probably just "doing it wrong" I imagine.

Does Theatre use it's own inbuilt codecs I guess?

Edited by Trevor68

WMC has its own set of options.

Try configuring the speaker setup in Windows to 5.1 and run through the test where it outputs sound to each speaker and then see what happens.

Trevor68

Ok, I set the PC to 5.1, and checked the speakers, all good. Played a Dolby Digital movie via Emby for WMC, receiver says DD 5.1 and the sound is great. Fired up Theatre, played the same movie, receiver says PCM and the sound is crap.

I do not believe this has anything to do with my PC, nor do I have any working surround as suggested that I should by Luke?

• Solution
Trevor68

Ok then, for anybody else wanting to use Theatre, you should probably just start here.

http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/30199-et-setup-guide-with-madvr-and-bitstreaming-hd-audio/

Aero had been turned off somehow on my PC, turned it on and now there is surround!

Now onto why LiveTV only gives me spinning circles, but that's a subject for another day.

• Like 1