No Media info from Blu-Ray folders (BDMV).

holmberg
Go to solution Solved by holmberg,

holmberg

No Media info from Blu-Ray folders (BDMV).

Metadata are all fine, but none of my Blu-Ray folder rips have any Media Info.

In this example you can see there is no Media info:

56a8341c55d53_blurayMediainfo.png

The above folder contains the two sub folders:

\BDMV

\CERTIFICATE

And here is the same movie in a Matroska version with complete Media info:

56a83432505ca_mkvMediainfo.png

All my mkv movies and ripped DVD films (VIDEO_TS folders) have complete Media Info.

I have tried to refresh complete/partly (via Metadata manager).

I have tried to remove the whole parent folder from Media library and add/scan it again.

Is this a bug in the server or is there something else I can try?

Emby for Windows Server version 3.0.5818.0 (running on WHS 2011)

Is there something non-standard about this folder rip? We use a library called BDInfo try to and get media info. It's throwing an error i haven't seen before

Unable to locate BD structure

holmberg

I think the rip is standard, but i'm no expert on this subject.

I have downloaded the BDinfo 0.5.9 standalone tool (the one you are using in Emby i guess) and have run it against this folder:

\\SERVER\Videos\BDMV\The Yellow Sea (2010)

And i get the exact same error as in the logfile: “Unable to locate BD structure”.

But when i run it against this folder:

\\SERVER\Videos\BDMV\The Yellow Sea (2010)\BDMV

It works, and reads out all the info.

So for some reason the tool doesn't look in the subfolders.

The folder structure for this movie, and all my other BD movies are like this:

56a95cad099ac_bdfolderstructure.png

holmberg

ok, i then tried to copy the movie from the shared folders on my server to the data drive (D:\) on my main pc, like this:

56a96e2c84783_bdfolder.png

And when i scan with BDInfo i get this:

56a96e963f5a8_BDInfo.png

So, on my main PC it doesn't need to be pointed to the BDMV subfolder, it works on the movie folder itself, like it should.

So it must be related to the files being on a network folder, but it doesn't make any sense to me.

that is strange. as a test, can you repeat these tests while running the server from the tray icon as opposed to the windows service? thanks.

Ok, I don't have the answer for this, sorry. We are depending on BdInfo. What I will do is just catch the error and allow the rest of the process to continue so that at least some data can be pulled in via ffprobe.

To be honest I've never seen that error before. Keep in mind that media info is only needed for transcoding-based playback, and we consider transcoding of folder rips to be experimental anyway. This does not affect your ability to play the content on an htpc app that has native bluray support. It's only going to affect streaming apps like mobile, roku, etc.

You said you copied it to another drive and it worked fine, I would consider running chkdsk or other diagnostics on the original drive to check for errors.

holmberg

I only use Media info to get useful information for aspect ratio, videotracks, soundtracks, subtitles, resolution, etc. when browsing movies/tv series in Emby WMC client.

Chkdsk shows everything ok, and i never had a copy/read error on the server.

Permissions is default for whs 2011, have not changed anything (and the user (me) have full read/write permission).

Since BDInfo can read out the information when pointed directly to the BDMV folders i guess permissions should be ok? (and it reads all the mkv folders and DVD folders on the same share/drive just fine).

I'm sure there is at simple explanation for this :-)

it could always just be a defect in BdInfo but unfortunately it doesn't appear to be getting updated anymore. Still this isn't a widespread problem because we surely would have seen it by now.

• Like 1

holmberg

Yes, it must be some fault on my whs 2011 server, i tried with the program MediaInfo, same behavior, it can pull full info from a bd folder on my local drive, but none from one residing on my network share.

I will report back to you here if i find a solution, thank for your feedback :-)

• Like 1

• Solution
holmberg

ok, i found the solution!:

The path to my Blu-Ray movies share on my server had this structure:

\\SERVER\Videos\BDMV\The Yellow Sea (2010)

It turned out that is was the "BDMV" part of the path that MediaInfo and BDInfo didn't like, so when i changed it to this:

\\SERVER\Videos\Blu-ray\The Yellow Sea (2010)

Emby server extracted all the info.

So it seems that BDInfo looks for a BDMV folder in the whole path and stops at the wrong (empty) one two levels up.

Glad it got solved, thanks for the help.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I think bdmvinfo always expects the bdmv folder to be in the movie directory. I think you confused it by having bdmv higher in the path - it just search recursively until it finds bdmv in the path name and stops.

--doh I see you figured that out, I have yet to figure out how to delete my post---

Edited by scyto

• 2 years later...

Hello, I have premier subscription and I have similar issue, I hope you will be able to help me

My folder structure seems to be correct (e.g. no BDMV folder anywere except in auctual folders with bluray disks); I have no issues scanning my bluray folders using downloaded BDInfo application 

see screenshot - https://www.screencast.com/t/r9rJoc0qL

but I cannot see media info details in the emby app - https://www.screencast.com/t/urIe48KF

I see various BDInfo related error messages in the logs - https://www.screencast.com/t/Rys5bBeRV

However I have no idea why they showing up and also it is not quite clear for exact what movie folder these errors are reporting?

Maybe you using outdated version of BDInfo and should replace with latest one?

I'm attaching full log file here.

I really need help to get this fixed as I want to differentiate between UHD and FHD blurays using CoverArt plugin and it needs media info details for this to work properly

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks

Log.txt

Edited by axlns

Hi, to be honest, I have no idea about this:

System.Exception: Clip info file 00000.clpi has an unknown file type HDMV0300.

This feature has always been experimental and the BDInfo library is no longer being developed by the original author. For best results we recommend converting to mkv. Thanks.

This feature has always been experimental and the BDInfo library is no longer being developed by the original author. For best results we recommend converting to mkv. Thanks.

Hi Luke, thanks for your answer, but I think supporting BDMV folders is important enough - because BDMV (and ISO) is the only way to retain complete user experience from your backup bluray disks; I wish Emby will not have any limitations in this area, especially when it should be not that complex to correct this error since last version of BDInfo does not have any problems recognizing media info from BDMV or from ISO files (https://www.screencast.com/t/KuL4qyjT)

After further investigation I found that Emby successfully determines media info from BDMV folders with regular FullHD disks; but it has this problem with backups of my UHD BluRays

So I think all you need is to upgrade your BDMV to the latest version - and that will allow you to support all kind of BDMV (both FullHD and UHD) and also ISO files too (backups of my 3D blurays are in ISO format)

I really hope this can be fixed, this is what make difference between good product (which is Emby now) and awesome product (which Emby would be if it supports all kind of media formats), for me at least

Thanks!

PS. also is there way to contribute to development (not sure if product open source - probbaly not?) but I will be willing to try to upgrade your BDMV integration, since i'm .net developer myself

• Like 1

I honestly don't know when we're going to be able to prioritize this as we try to focus our time on the areas that will affect the largest number of people. yes if you want to work on it then when i have a chance i can look at opening up some of the media analysis code. Thanks.

I also would like to see the media info as that is being fed to the Throgsoft themes. It used to be more informative when mediainfo was used but with ffmpeg it is not as instructive. Please try to look at the media analysis code.

Thanks

O2G