adding storage space

hstamas

hstamas

Hi all. As much as I wanted to get Emby working on my Mac mini I just couldnt do it. Many setup issues has just made it way too hard. The last hurdle that I wasn't able to overcome was the inability to add multiple sources and have it show as one unified pool of media like Kodi or Plex will do.

Ive been told in the Windows section that most use drive pooling software/hardware of some kind.

Problem is I can't seem to find any kind of software like that for the Mac and what do you do if you already have drives full of media?

Curious what everyone out there using a Mac as an Emby server is doing? Starting from scratch isnt an option for my 500+ ripped movie collection and even then, what do you do when  you fill  up the drive?

Any input would really be great.

• 4 weeks later...
majorsl

Maybe look into a NAS or something like a Drobo to combine storage capacities of several drives and get some data protection too if you aren't? I personally use a Drobo and have for years. The early ones had problems, but my 5D has been fantastic and had a couple of drive failures with no data loss. I've spent way too much time ripping my DVDs to lose them in a single drive failure.

hstamas

Maybe look into a NAS or something like a Drobo to combine storage capacities of several drives and get some data protection too if you aren't? I personally use a Drobo and have for years. The early ones had problems, but my 5D has been fantastic and had a couple of drive failures with no data loss. I've spent way too much time ripping my DVDs to lose them in a single drive failure.

You can't add drives that already have data on them to a Drobo can you? Im kind of stuck in that I have terabytes of media already on individual drive using just a simple USB enclosure that I add to when they fill up (media 1 - media 2 - media 3 etc). When I add a new drive to my system I just tell Plex or Kodi about it and they do the pooling.

majorsl

Ah, you're in much the same situation I was in before the Drobo.  No, you can't add drives with existing data into the Drobo, the drive would be erased and it's space added to the pool.

The Drobo lets you add drives as you go, and thus increases its available storage.  You can replace a smaller drive with a larger one as well with no downtime.

What I did was got the Drobo going with a couple of drives and then off-loaded one of my enclosures to it.  Then put that drive in the Drobo which added capacity.  Then copied from the next enclosure over to it and so on.

So, now my media is all in one place - the Drobo and adding larger drives is a breeze with no downtime.  As I could afford it, I did end up re-using the enclosures to backup my collections just to be safe because that's still best practice, right?

hstamas

Thanks for your input majorsl. Its really appreciated. I basically have my setup now as a "just a bunch of disks" with a separate enclosure dedicated to backups. I don't have any kind of file redundancy other than that so I just might consider a DROBO. I have one at my work and love it.