Web client not saving resume points

daboodah

daboodah

Is the web client (Chrome browser) supposed to save resume points when I stop watching a movie or TV show, say at the half-way point?  For me, it doesn't seem to save stopping/resume points when I use the player via Chrome browser (regardless of machine - I've tried it from several different machines with no luck - I have not tested other browsers).  Note that the web client does seem to allow resuming from resume points that were already set via other clients (for example, via Android phone or Kodi using Emby plug-in).  Should this work, or am I expecting too much from the web client?

daboodah

Thanks for the fast reply.  Here is an example:

I'm watching an episode of X-files at home using the Emby app on my Nvidia Shield device.  I stop watching 15 minutes into the episode.  I can easily verify that the stopping point was saved properly by successfully resuming the show on another device (verified on Note 4 using Emby app and also verified on Kodi box running Emby plug-in in another room).  Next, if I jump on my computer in the den and log into Emby via Chrome browser on my computer and launch the episode using the web player, it does give me the option to resume, and it successfully resumes.  However, if I proceed to play the episode another 5 minutes (to the 20 minute mark) via the web player on my computer and then stop it, it seems to ignore that I played it (the resume point stays at 15 minute mark rather than changing to 20 minute mark).  My metadata is very clean and does include proper runtime data for everything I've tested with.  As mentioned, everything seems to work great via other clients (Android, iOS, Windows running Kodi and Emby Theater app), it just doesn't seem to save stopping points successfully via web browser.

daboodah

I've tried each of the following with the same end result:

1. Clicking the X in the top corner, which returns me to the previous page.
  2. Pausing first, then clicking the X.

It might be useful to note that, if I choose to Play rather than Resume and then stop playback, it does clear the resume point completely (as expected).  It also seems to clear the resume point if I click the check mark to mark it as watched (also as expected).  It's almost as if it just isn't sending the stop command to the server properly.

Ok, thanks. I cannot reproduce this but will keep an eye out for it. Remember that if you cross the 90% threshold then by default we consider it fully watched.

daboodah

I've done more trial and error testing.  I think it might be a seek issue in conjunction with transcoding.  In order to get my playback position within the thresholds to allow resume, I've always been dragging the slider forward (usually to near 50% to be safe).  When I do this and look at the Active Devices page and hover over the device that is streaming, the time counter seems frozen at the time immediately prior to when I slid the slider forward.  Despite the fact that the video seems to continue playing fine, the information being reported in the hover-over doesn't seem to reflect it.  The resume point seems to consistently agree with what appears in the hover-over for the device, and thus it doesn't end up reflecting my fast-forwarding or rewinding.

To verify this, I let the same file experiencing this issue simply play for a few minutes without seeking (while observing the time counter incrementing in the hover-over), and then stopped the playback.  Sure enough, the resume point was saved properly.  So, it seems to not read the time position properly after seeking forward or backward during playback (with transcoding) in the web client.  When I experiment with a file that will stream directly without transcoding, I do not see this issue.

Did you happen to attempt to reproduce this issue using a file that is being transcoded and not direct streaming?

i tested it with transcoded content, just literally right now and I don't see that happening at the moment.

Alejandrix

I have the same issue. With chrome on different machines, the web client is not keeping track of the watched progress. 

In iOS and Android it works fine, so I think must be a problem of the web client.

Happy2Play

I have the same issue. With chrome on different machines, the web client is not keeping track of the watched progress. 

In iOS and Android it works fine, so I think must be a problem of the web client.

Opened one episode in IE11, Edge, Firefox, and Chrome, allowed to play to 50% and stopped.  So I don't see how the problem is in the web client.

Note these were all local not Connect if that is a variable.

56a94770ec908_resume.jpg

Edited by Happy2Play

I am getting the same problem, on chrome. I am seeing the problem when transcoding over the internet. I dont' use the webclient ever locally, so have not tested that.

In addition to it not remembering the resumed points, episodes are not getting marked as watched after watching them completely. They will be marked as watched if

I click on the check mark, but not after watching them to completion.

• 4 weeks later...
daboodah

Just an update:  I'm not sure what fixed it, but the problem seems to have disappeared for me.  Everything is working perfectly right now.