thesportsdb.org metadata connection

jrhessey

morbidsvt

I have been using the kodi plugin for a while and it's very nice.... been waiting for Emby to get a scraper for it.  But might I propose an alternate hierarchy for motorsports stuff?  Below is a sample of how I'm keep mine.  The reason why it's not initially logical is that I currently keep them grouped by event.  For example instead of having a bunch of videos for the Formula1 race at the 2017 Abu Dhabi event, a bunch of Formula2 videos at the 2017 Abu Dhabi event, a bunch of GP3 videos at the 2017 Abu Dhabi event (see where I'm going with this?), I would store all of those in the same directory: Grand.Prix/2017.Abu.Dhabi.Grand.Prix.  MotoGP does this too with MotoGP/Moto2/Moto3.... so it just seems more logical to me to store them this way.

(I limited each race type to a max of 2 per event for the example...)

(show name)     (season)                        (episode)
Formula.E/      Season.2017/                    Formula.E.2017.07.29.Montreal.ePrix.One.1080p.HDTV.x264.mkv
                                                Formula.E.2017.12.02.Hong.Kong.ePrix.One.720p.HDTV.x264.mkv

Season.2018/                    Formula.E.2018.01.13.Marrakech.ePrix.1080p.HDTV.x264.mkv

Grand.Prix/     2017.Abu.Dhabi.Grand.Prix/      Formula1.2017.Abu.Dhabi.Grand.Prix.Drivers.Press.Conference.1080p.HDTV.x264.mkv
                                                Formula1.2017.Abu.Dhabi.Grand.Prix.Paddock.Uncut.1080p.HDTV.x264.mkv
                                                Formula2.2017.Abu.Dhabi.Grand.Prix.Practice.1080p.HDTV.x264.mkv
                                                Formula2.2017.Abu.Dhabi.Grand.Prix.Qualifying.1080p.HDTV.x264.mkv
                                                GP3.2017.Abu.Dhabi.Grand.Prix.Qualifying.1080p.HDTV.x264.mkv
                                                GP3.2017.Abu.Dhabi.Grand.Prix.Race.One.1080p.HDTV.x264.mkv

2017.American.Grand.Prix/       Formula1.2017.American.Grand.Prix.Drivers.Press.Conference.1080p.HDTV.x264.mkv
                                                Formula1.2017.American.Grand.Prix.Paddock.Uncut.1080p.HDTV.x264.mkv

2017.Azerbaijan.Grand.Prix/     Formula2.2017.Azerbaijan.Grand.Prix.Race.One.1080p.HDTV.x264.mkv

2017.Belgian.Grand.Prix/        Formula1.2017.Belgian.Grand.Prix.1080p.HDTV.x264.mkv
                                                Formula1.2017.Belgian.Grand.Prix.Practice.One.1080p.HDTV.x264.mkv
                                                Formula2.2017.Belgian.Grand.Prix.Race.One.1080p.HDTV.x264.mkv
                                                GP3.2017.Belgian.Grand.Prix.Race.Two.1080p.HDTV.x264.mkv
                                                Porsche.Supercup.2017.Belgian.Grand.Prix.1080p.HDTV.x264.mkv

Moto/           2017.Aragon/                    MotoGP.2017.Aragon.1080p.HDTV.x264.mkv
                                                MotoGP.2017.Aragon.Practice.Four.720p.HDTV.x264.mkv

2017.Japan/                     Moto2.2017.Japan.1080p.HDTV.x264.mkv
                                                Moto3.2017.Japan.1080p.HDTV.x264.mkv
                                                Moto3.2017.Japan.Practice.Two.720p.HDTV.x264.mkv
                                                MotoGP.2017.Japan.1080p.HDTV.x264.mkv
                                                MotoGP.2017.Japan.720p.HDTV.x264.mkv

(odd one...)
Volkswagen.Racing.Cup/Season.2017               Volkswagen.Racing.Cup.2017.Round.Five.Brands.Hatch.1080p.HDTV.x264.mkv
                                                Volkswagen.Racing.Cup.2017.Round.Six.Thruxton.1080p.HDTV.x264.mkv

• 5 months later...
drewdenman

Any update on thesportsdb?  Just added my F1 collection to my Emby server and need a way to do the metadata (hopefully not manually!).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I'd still love to have this as well as I also collected sports matches.  I store mine a bit different then those above and mine will look like this:

5c4317258155a_NFL.png

• 4 weeks later...
Damien_

This would be huge for me too. TMDB covers some stuff but it's listed as stand alone events so you're having to set it up like a movie library. The sports DB would be amazing. 

crusher11

Would also love this. Most of my collection is basketball, football, wrestling etc.

Having to manually enter details, players, tag teams, etc is doable, but a pain.

I have a couple of Audacity Find My iPhone Origin media folders holding football and basketball games I've recorded. I recently came accross a metadata website for sports called http://thesportsdb.com.

Would it be possible to add a field like the other metadata fields to pull information from that site to fill in fanart, description, dates, etc.? Ii'm not sure if it would require a new media "type" folder called sports, similar to tv and movies.

I've linked a couple pages, the first is the API for returning information from the db.

http://www.thesportsdb.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5

The second is example json (I believe) data

http://www.thesportsdb.com/api/v1/json/1/searchteams.php?t=Cleveland%20Indians

Some Kodi add-ons that utilize it have come and gone but there hasen't been anyone who has ran with it. Edited by jojo220

crusher11

I'd even love to see, as a start, this being a source for People. It'd make adding in my games so much easier, as I wouldn't have to create my own People for the players and such. Even if I have to add all the other info myself, that would be a start.

I think at this point we don't yet know what a sports library folder structure looks like and that needs to be figured out before any metadata retrieval can take place.

as well as IMDB ID, TheMovie DB ID, etc

These we already have if you just use regular movie libraries.

crusher11

That's what I meant. Add TheSportsDB as an option on the Identify page, where those other databases are listed. You can do that without needing a format for the other metadata.

• Like 1

bretswinney

That's what I meant. Add TheSportsDB as an option on the Identify page, where those other databases are listed. You can do that without needing a format for the other metadata.

Then we could test it & give feedback

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...
MBSki

For anyone interested, TVDB has started to allow sports programs on their site. The Summer Olympics was added, and they're allowing auto racing too (https://support.thetvdb.com/kb/faq.php?a=search&q=sport). I asked them about adding NFL and MLB games as well, but at the moment they believe it will be too hard to manage with all the different broadcasters and time zones. If anyone else would like to see more sports added to TVDB, it might be worth creating an account and offering support to help maintain the "episode" lists. Maybe they'll change their minds and at least pilot something like NFL games. 

2 hours ago, mbarylski said:

For anyone interested, TVDB has started to allow sports programs on their site. The Summer Olympics was added, and they're allowing auto racing too (https://support.thetvdb.com/kb/faq.php?a=search&q=sport). I asked them about adding NFL and MLB games as well, but at the moment they believe it will be too hard to manage with all the different broadcasters and time zones. If anyone else would like to see more sports added to TVDB, it might be worth creating an account and offering support to help maintain the "episode" lists. Maybe they'll change their minds and at least pilot something like NFL games. 

That's good news, thanks for the update.

• 11 months later...

I recently started adding content for Rugby games but some of the series were deleted before I could make much headway. Moderators cite difficulties in managing the content because there is not a single global provider for sports that could be the source of truth. in my case, the sport is specifically Rugby. It could be perfectly well managed using their service, but they would be very reliant on community management which i think is part of the issue.

Adding support for sports-focused service like thesportsdb would be a great add-on. How can we provide support to make this happen?