Google Music Addon

MKANET

Im one of many people who pay for Google Music to gain full access to all songs and YOUTUBE RED as a very nice bonus.

Kodi has a great Google Music addon.  So, does Plex.

It's really nice to be able to play ANY song I want instantly, period (at least in Kodi and Plex Clients)... even if i didn't purchase it specifically or not in my library.  It basically makes Music playback much more useful on any platform or clients that support it. 

I'm still not aware of Google publishing an API for this service.

I know people have reverse-engineered one but I'm pretty sure that breaks the TOS for the service.

Someone please point me to it if this has changed.

screwfaze

Hi,

I would also like to see Google play music on Emby as it would mean all my media is accessible in one place. I hope this will be possible one day.

Thanks,

Al

I'm still not aware of Google publishing an API for this service.

I know people have reverse-engineered one but I'm pretty sure that breaks the TOS for the service.

Someone please point me to it if this has changed.

Unfortunately you re right there is no public API, and no scoped classes to attach to.

But, like YouTube, there is a chance that someone of importance from our side could possibly contact google and request the ability to create a paid app.... Maybe...

Cerothen

I'm not sure if it's relevant here however BubbleUPNP let's users access their stations and google music library through the app.

Currently, I'm using Kodi with the "Emby for Kodi" addon as my Emby Clients.  This lets me seamlessly integrate Google Music with Emby Music; fanart and all. 

I have two Win10 clients setup this way... my Home Theater and my Win10 tablet.

If there was an Emby Google Music addon, then people who want Google Music won't need to use Kodi as an Emby client anymore...

Google Music paid membership gets you Youtube Red (no ads).  It's pretty tough for MS\APL to compete with that; especially, when Google includes YouTube Red for free with the Google Music Subscription.  I actually liked Google Music so much, I upgraded to the family plan for anyone in my family to play unlimited music and no youtube ads.

I used to use Goove before upgrading to Google Music.  Groove automatically\optionally uploads your songs from your designated Windows "Music" special folder; and, I think identifies the song too.  With Google Music, you can use the Google Music Manager for Windows to do the same thing.

My Windows special media folders I.E., Music, Videos, Documents (and all of my Windows profile settings under Documents), Pictures, etc is part of my 1TB OneDrive storage synched on all my Win10 devices. 

Also, it appears that Google Music currently does a better job with music channels than Groove.

How music of your own music can you store online with groove/onedrive?

• 2 weeks later...
Cerothen

Was doing some browsing around today about google music integration on Steam and came across this post which lead me here. Perhaps its something that could help.

Steam Post

https://steamcommunity.com/groups/steammusic/discussions/1/558746995186821736/#c496880503065122893

Unofficial Google Music API

https://github.com/simon-weber/gmusicapi

Was also doing some light reading of the TOS (section 6) https://play.google.com/about/play-terms.html

This section here might be an issue, I don't know if caching the streams matters or if that even would need to be done?

Capturing of Streams. You may not use Google Play or any Product in conjunction with any stream-ripping, stream capture or similar software to record or create a copy of any Product that is presented to you in streaming format.

This one here might be the real problem.. Each emby account on each server would probably have to have it's own Google Play Music Credentials.

Sharing. You may not use Products as part of any service for sharing, lending or multi-person use, or for the purpose of any other institution, except as specifically permitted and only in the exact manner specified and enabled by Google (for example, through “Social Recommendations”).

I am no lawyer though perhaps someone with a better law background would be able to give a more definitive its allowed or not.

Edited by Cerothen

• 2 weeks later...

Currently, I'm using Kodi with the "Emby for Kodi" addon as my Emby Clients.  This lets me seamlessly integrate Google Music with Emby Music; fanart and all. 

I have two Win10 clients setup this way... my Home Theater and my Win10 tablet.

If there was an Emby Google Music addon, then people who want Google Music won't need to use Kodi as an Emby client anymore...

Hello MKANET i have a similar setup, can you tell how did you integrate Gmusic with Emby?

• 4 years later...
dethknite

The project mentioned is a desktop application (simply UI wrapper) that interacts like any other "device" such as a chrome browser.

ie.

mainWindow = new BrowserWindow(browserWindowConfig)
    mainWindow.webContents.session.setUserAgent(
        'Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:54.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/71.0'
    )
    view = new BrowserView({
        webPreferences: {
            nodeIntegration: true,
            webviewTag: true,
            preload: path.join(
                app.getAppPath(),
                '/src/utils/injectControls.js'
            ),
        },
    })

All the commands are sent back as keystrokes..

https://github.com/ytmdesktop/ytmdesktop/blob/master/src/providers/mediaProvider.js

This is per the Youtube Music Cheat Sheet provided by their support.

https://support.google.com/youtubemusic/thread/180145?hl=en

Not sure this would integrate easily into the other players without wrappers... but into emby web, and emby mobile (since it is using the web), I imagine it could simply be a page displayed.

Edited by dethknite

jlambie

I like the idea of a streaming service integration in theory (it actually works really well in Plex IMO) but from what I understand, the bit rate and hence music quality in You Tube Music/Google Play is really low. Unsure how much added value there would be in that. Not to mention the risible pittance they pay the artists. Just my opinion, YMMV. 

1 hour ago, Luke said:

What are you suggesting that we do with it?

Look at it because we can't use it as it would violate Google's Terms of Service in many ways!  :)

dethknite
On 7/30/2020 at 1:54 PM, cayars said:

Look at it because we can't use it as it would violate Google's Terms of Service in many ways!  :)

How would it violate the terms of service? It is a wrapper around the Google offered Web Player... and the integration is simply allowing access to the web player (with a customized UI).

dethknite
On 7/30/2020 at 12:18 PM, Luke said:

What are you suggesting that we do with it?

What would be likely is simply a tab for it that wraps the player. What would be ideal would be an option to replace Music with this access. I would imagine instead of having to open Youtube Music, select cast (to device or speaker).. it would be controlled from Emby in Music, and would perform the same. In Youtube music.. it would take up a registered device just like logging in on a new browser. Some users would still prefer the local music library.. but for others... online library memberships are pretty much all they use... like me, so the Music portion of Emby is something I cannot find enough usage for.

On 7/30/2020 at 2:54 PM, cayars said:

Cerothen covered it a few posts above why we can't do this.

On 2/6/2016 at 2:23 PM, Cerothen said:

Was doing some browsing around today about google music integration on Steam and came across this post which lead me here. Perhaps its something that could help.

Steam Post

https://steamcommunity.com/groups/steammusic/discussions/1/558746995186821736/#c496880503065122893

Unofficial Google Music API

https://github.com/simon-weber/gmusicapi

Was also doing some light reading of the TOS (section 6) https://play.google.com/about/play-terms.html

This section here might be an issue, I don't know if caching the streams matters or if that even would need to be done?

Capturing of Streams. You may not use Google Play or any Product in conjunction with any stream-ripping, stream capture or similar software to record or create a copy of any Product that is presented to you in streaming format.

This one here might be the real problem.. Each emby account on each server would probably have to have it's own Google Play Music Credentials.

Sharing. You may not use Products as part of any service for sharing, lending or multi-person use, or for the purpose of any other institution, except as specifically permitted and only in the exact manner specified and enabled by Google (for example, through “Social Recommendations”).

I am no lawyer though perhaps someone with a better law background would be able to give a more definitive its allowed or not.

dethknite
1 hour ago, cayars said:

Cerothen covered it a few posts above why we can't do this.

There is no "capturing of streams", no sharing authentication, it is literally wrapping around the Google Webplayer which is handling the streaming as well as authentication and device registration.

Web/Android/Roku/FireTV/WindowsApp/*whatever* frontend to:

Google Music: https://play.google.com/music/listen?u=0

Youtube Music: https://music.youtube.com/

and could be added to a user account via a checkbox.  I know there are already apps to launch.. but the idea is this would be an alternative that allows staying logged into the Emby app on devices and listening to music.

Edited by dethknite

I haven't looked at the code.  I was just speaking in generalities that it's usually a bad idea to use wrappers and back doors to another companies services without permission especially when they charge money for that service. You're generally not allowed to do things like pull a stream out of the UI using it in a fashion not authorized. You usually want to signup and use authorized API calls like Emby does to access Google Drive & Play store properly.  Integrating a service like this I'd think would require a contract and legal agreement of authorization done this way vs using Public APIs with their own TOS for usage.

In any event if something like this were to get included I doubt you would be able to share streams and each user with access to GM would need to supply their own credentials.

dethknite
On 7/31/2020 at 10:20 PM, cayars said:

I haven't looked at the code.  I was just speaking in generalities that it's usually a bad idea to use wrappers and back doors to another companies services without permission especially when they charge money for that service. You're generally not allowed to do things like pull a stream out of the UI using it in a fashion not authorized. You usually want to signup and use authorized API calls like Emby does to access Google Drive & Play store properly.  Integrating a service like this I'd think would require a contract and legal agreement of authorization done this way vs using Public APIs with their own TOS for usage.

In any event if something like this were to get included I doubt you would be able to share streams and each user with access to GM would need to supply their own credentials.

Agreed. I am not aware of an open API and wouldn't expect that is even something on their radar. As mentioned, I imagine it simply being an added feature available on the user profile to add the webplayer as a tab, and it would allow login/auth for that user alone. Could be done for any user that desired using their own login credentials for Google. It is really just embedding their webplayer within Emby--no sharing streams or going outside their auth framework. This is nothing any browser isn't already doing such as chrome and firefox.

Edited by dethknite