Rotten Tomatoes - Audience Rating / Audience Score

Pais

I think it would be nice to have the Audience Rating (icon) / Audience Score for movies along with the Critic Rating (icon) / Critic Score. It looks like the data is available from the Rotten Tomatoes API via the ratings field.

14    "ratings": {
15      "critics_rating": "Certified Fresh",
16      "critics_score": 99,
17      "audience_rating": "Upright",
18      "audience_score": 91
  • Like 13

• 5 months later...
Doonga

Given the limited number of API hits per day, would this be better as a separate plugin or modify the current Rotten Tomatoes plugin?

Not sure either way will really save on API hits though.

I'm thinking of working on this since it's one of the things I really miss from Plex.

Obviously the clients would need to consume it, but at least we could get the data in the first place.

Edited by Doonga

where would you display though i guess is the only thing. at some point you have to ask how many rating icons do you really need. We have the fresh/rotten icon, we have the imdb star, we have the heart for personal rating. So I guess how many do you really need to see on one line. Other question is how many consumers actually use rotten tomatoes to rate, therefore how good is the data.

Doonga

True... Personally I prefer RT over IMDB ratings any day. I'd rather see the RT critic/audience ratings to be preferred over IMDB when available. (I totally get that this isn't necessarily everyone's preference.) Maybe an option to display one over the other? The audience ratings tend to be good, and usually better reflect how "good" a movie is over the critics rating, IMO. I've never actually used the Emby heart ratings. :)

• Agree 1

Doonga

To be perfectly honest I never really looked at how the IMDB rating was obtained. I thought it was from critics, but it does appear to be from actual viewers. Perhaps that is good enough! Maybe this isn't needed afterall.

Really glad I brought this up, I learned something new. :)

• Like 1

Vidman

I would really like the rt critic summary to show for movies in addition to plot/movie summary as the film blurb doesn't give an indication if the film is actually any good

Edited by Vidman
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
orcist

This could be shown by selecting the RT rating and clicking OK.

Might Rotten Tomatoes be one of the configurable, available options?

I would really like the rt critic summary to show for movies in addition to plot/movie summary as the film blurb doesn't give an indication if the film is actually any good

what app? don't we have that already in the web client?

• 2 years later...

I hope this is not considered necroing, Im reading this as a feature request for rotten tomato audience score.

I get the sense reviewers and movie makers are becoming more political, So im finding the audience score more valuable then the imdb score or the tomatometer.

The difference between the tomato meeter and audience score on the last movie i saw was 50%, The difference between the audience score and imdb was even larger. This was on a movie with more then 86000 audience reviews.

So i want to add my support to this feature, And i have liked the post.

Edited by Enwyn
  • Like 1

• 6 months later...
ricardonr

Hi,

The rotten tomato audience score would be nice as it is closer to the reality.

It would also be nice to give our own score (0-100 or 0-10) instead of just a heart (and sync this data with our TMDB/IMDB account). This way everything would be in sync.

Thanks

• Like 3

• 2 years later...
Sparker

Is there a plugin that achieves this? It is the only feature I miss from Plex (aside from waiting for the skip intro button to be added for Android TV app).

• 3 weeks later...
Cheesegeezer

This is not possible for us mere mortals to get to the api any more, only companies can get access after successfully being accepted so Emby could apply but i would imagine that it would cost some money

On 26/04/2022 at 11:46, Sparker said:

Is there a plugin that achieves this? It is the only feature I miss from Plex (aside from waiting for the skip intro button to be added for Android TV app).

• 7 months later...
Tenaciousc
On 6/25/2016 at 11:14 PM, Luke said:

where would you display though i guess is the only thing. at some point you have to ask how many rating icons do you really need. We have the fresh/rotten icon, we have the imdb star, we have the heart for personal rating. So I guess how many do you really need to see on one line. Other question is how many consumers actually use rotten tomatoes to rate, therefore how good is the data.

The easiest way to go would be to simply to replace the (in many times politically influenced) "experts" scores by the audience score, no extra display space is needed this way.
In all honesty, as simple movie watching mortals, do we prefer to have others like us tell us how good a movie or a series is, or do we prefer elites to tell us what to like?

Edited by Tenaciousc

Mnejing

Both would be ideal, imo. I do tend to lean more towards audience scores than critic scores, but then brigading becomes an issue. I'd like to just have both and carry on.