Profile visibility different within LAN than from WAN

computerprep

computerprep

Beginning with the next release of Emby Server, you'll be able to restrict incoming traffic by IP address:

5a9a433f9018d_Untitled.png

Enjoy.

Any chance this feature will accept/resolve hostnames? That would help with my friends/family on a dynamic IP.

You might be lucky.  See if his address stay within a class C address range.

extensive

I just put in a feature request and it got flagged as a "duplicate" and i was shuffled over to this thread.

What I would like to do

Simply Hide users from the login screen if they are connecting remotely

I want to switch between users with ease while i am internal

I want all users to be able to access the server remotely, just have to log in

Edited by extensive
  • Like 3

Dibbes

I just put in a feature request and it got flagged as a "duplicate" and i was shuffled over to this thread.

What I would like to do

and auto-hide (or even not being able to log on) if a user does not have a password

and auto-hide (or even not being able to log on) if a user does not have a password

One feature request per topic, please.

What I would like to do

That is exactly what this feature request is for.

Thanks.

extensive

That is exactly what this feature request is for.

Thanks.

I understand that, there have been work-arounds throughout the thread and i don't know if the initial request is being forgotten now.  No work-around stated gives us the ability we are asking for, I just didn't want to lose sight of that.  If you tell us to go pound sand thats fine, again, just didn't want to lose the initial feature request.

Dibbes

One feature request per topic, please.

Sorry! You´re right, of course...

This feature discribed above, it´s implemented in the latest beta. Now, I have to say that the wording for "Allow remote connections to this Emby Server." is not clear to me. Does this mean that just this user cannot log on or that all external connections are blocked?

I understand that, there have been work-arounds throughout the thread and i don't know if the initial request is being forgotten now.  No work-around stated gives us the ability we are asking for, I just didn't want to lose sight of that.  If you tell us to go pound sand thats fine, again, just didn't want to lose the initial feature request.

Okay.  Yes, the recent discussion about the new feature to deny logins from remote connections does not really address this request.

Sorry! You´re right, of course...

This feature discribed above, it´s implemented in the latest beta. Now, I have to say that the wording for "Allow remote connections to this Emby Server." is not clear to me. Does this mean that just this user cannot log on or that all external connections are blocked?

No, the recent discussion is not really related to this feature request.  It probably shouldn't have been put in here in the first place.

extensive

Okay.  Yes, the recent discussion about the new feature to deny logins from remote connections does not really address this request.

Ok then, back to the actual feature request.  It is now over 2 years old.  I run a software company so I know how to blow smoke up peoples behinds about feature requests.  What is the status of it?

computerprep

We already support that by restricting device access for a user. If a user is restricted from a device, they wont' show on the login screen for that device.

You can learn more on our wiki:

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Device%20Access

Thanks.

With all the recent activity on this thread, I read through all the old posts... and @@Luke, I don't think this is true. At least it's not working that way for me.

Yes, I know this doesn't satisfy people's requests, but you say it won't show on the login screen for that device. I just disabled one particular user from my phone's app login (not the web browser) and the image still shows up on the login screen. When my device is restricted, that user cannot log in with their proper credentials, but the image does still appear.

• 4 months later...
NikeSwe

I would like to see THIS screen when logging in remote (this is using Chrome on my phone, not connected using wifi, the "Avbryt - Cancel" button could also be removed in that case):

post-330922-0-13808300-1531625320_thumb.jpg

Not the screen with my kids usernames and our profile pictures. That could be shown when connecting internally (same subnet as server, like it does today).

As of now, anyone that knows the external adress to my Emby-server will be able to see all usernames and profile pictures (I don't want to disable remote access for the users).

It's a safety thing among others (privacy concern when using profile pics). When brute forcing, the attacker just need to test passwords now. Without the list of users they will need to guess both username AND password.

Edit: I always use my external adress. Even when internal (to make my devices work and connect when not home). http://sub.domain.dom:8920 (using own domain and cert from Let's Encrypt, the router redirects it right when in same lan and it detects when I'm out so that's working great. Just the screen with usernames I don't want to see when remote.

Edited by NikeSwe

darkassassin07

A dropdown box 'Display users on login screen' with three options: 'On Local Network Only' 'Always' 'Never' could be really nice

• Like 1

NikeSwe

Me? Probably.

If I give YOU the details to my server, the external domain I use for it, will YOU see my account and my three kids accounts with personal profile pictures?

If yes, how make them not show when people connect using the same url? I would like too see the login screen where we need to enter name and password only, when remote.
When connecting from lan, it can show as it does today.

Edited by NikeSwe

That we don't currently have a setting for, but it's possible for the future. Thanks.

extensive

Ok then, back to the actual feature request.  It is now over 2 years old.  I run a software company so I know how to blow smoke up peoples behinds about feature requests.  What is the status of it?

can you please respond to this original request that is over 2 years old?  i request a non generic response please.  i have been on this forum enough to know you probably have a text document with 2-3 responses that you copy and paste on 95% of your threads.

edit:  read this over and it sounds...not nice lol.  i honestly just want a genuine response, your generic/canned responses that are riddled throughout the forum are frustrating to say the least.

Edited by extensive

It is genuine, and not canned. We actively monitor all feature requests for community feedback. When we think there's sufficient demand for something, that's typically when we start working on this. I agree this is a very good idea and a likely addition for the future.

• Like 1