Modern8 - A Metro Inspired Windows Media Center Theme

NeoMesal

• 5 weeks later...
iam4uk

How can one change the text that appears in the upper right of the main MCE page (visible before the clock is displayed)?

iam4uk

Okay, I figured out how to change the upper-right text (which is actually a graphic).

How about the "skittle" text ("Windows Media Center")?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

NeoMesal

Yes, the text which appears before the clock is a .png file, but I've included a .xcf file (aka GIMP) which you can use as a template to change the text.

For the skittle text: do you mean the text which flies in when you first start MC? That is also a graphic, but since I didn't make any changes to it you won't find the file in the Modern8 folder.

Cheers

iam4uk

NeoMesal, that is the text I mean. Do you know its designation, so I might reference and replace it?

Thanks.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

NeoMesal

The file is called LAUNCH.TEXT.PNG and there's also LAUNCH.TEXT.MOTIONBLUR.PNG (which I think is mostly self-explanatory to what it does :) )

But you'll want to find and edit the original files this way:

Open registry editor and navigate to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Patchou\Media Center Themer\

Changed logged resources value to 1

Restart Media Center

Now you can navigate to the folder

\Media Center Themer\Logged Resources\ehres.dll\rcdata\

which contains all the graphics which have been loaded so far into Media Center

(Also remember that you'll need to put a new entry into MCDefault.xml for these new files)

Edited by NeoMesal

Patchous mc themer offers more than rtb if you look into it and doesn't f*ck everything up....

Rtb was shocking in my experience not a patch on advents original app

Sent by my HTC8X using Tapatalk

If you must tho, you could extract all the images and insert them yourself...

Sent by my HTC8X using Tapatalk

deanhatescoffee

I'm actually using this with Patchou's Themer now.  Love the Xbox One sound effects.  I really just wanted to be able to change the amount of visible rows in the TV Guide, which I know RTB can do but I couldn't figure out a way to do it with Themer.  I don't mind the DIY work that Themer requires, I just haven't figured out everything it can (or can't) do yet.

NeoMesal

Yeah, I don't think Patchou's Themer can easily change the number of rows in the guide; I use My Channel Logos to do that.

It is a shame that the themer doesn't have a GUI, because yes it can become very 'DIY', especially when you first start using it.

Glad you like the sound effects, so do I! :P

• 2 months later...
buddyweiser

@@NeoMesal, I have been using this theme for quite some time, and I love it, however I have just noticed that the Netflix plugin in WMC defaults back to the original format controls, for viewing and playback. Is there a way around this?

NeoMesal

I'm afraid I wouldn't know for sure. Any UI changes should carry over to any add-ons, unless Netflix is using it's own Media Center-like UI.

I know that CyberLink does this - the minimise/close/restore buttons within PowerDVD aren't actually loaded from Media Center itself.

• 3 weeks later...

I have added this theme to my Media Center PC and it looks great! The only issue I have is that the bubble background image is not showing on my Ceton Echo Extender. I see the image show while booting up, but then it goes to the default blue background. But the images and text look to be updated. Does anyone know how to get the background image to update?

Ok, I did a little more searching and it looks like this theme is missing some .png files for use on extenders. Here is a link to the exact problem I am having http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/viewtopic.php?f=69&t=4941 the fix for that was to add a TV.COMMON.BACKGROUND.png image but I have tried adding the image in multiple folders/places and still have not been able to get the blue background to change to the bubble background. Can someone help me to know where the image needs to be added? Thanks!

Ok, I got it working, just needed to add TV.COMMON.BACKGOUND.png to the .xml file (also added COMMON.BACKGOUND.png and COMMON.ANIMATED.BACKGOUND.png to the .xml but not sure if they are needed) and the extender now has the bubble background.

• Like 1

Been using this theme for a couple of weeks now, and really enjoying it. The refresh it gives WMC is great, and works well. One small thing I'd like to see changed though is, when browsing the guide, you get a flat white box around the guide item as you navigate. When you select the item, there's no user feedback that the item has been selected. What would be really useful is, when you select the item, the box flashes, or dims/brightens or something to indicate that it's been selected. This would be really useful to feedback to the user a selection has been made.

Other than that, it's very good indeed.

NeoMesal

What would be really useful is, when you select the item, the box flashes, or dims/brightens or something to indicate that it's been selected..

If you open up COMMON.BUTTON.PRESSEDHIGHLIGHT.png in the Images folder with your favourite photo editor (even paint will do), you can then just fill the whole image white. (Or any colour you want but I think white works well).

Cheers

• 3 months later...

I had been using a modified Metropolis theme for WMC for quite some time.  Then I stumbled onto to Modern8 and I love it.  I had modify a few things but its awesome!! I made a video of my previous setup and I'm going to make one for Modern8. Just wanted to express how great the theme is and how easy it is to setup!

http://youtu.be/MnKGdsKxu_I

• Like 1

buddyweiser

Nice video, I can't wait to see the one you do with modern8. What things did you change?

Sent using my G3