PS4 Playback Issue

knottz

Okay so first of all, I reported a problem in the past that when playing content via the playstation 4's browser, it would work fine but trying to play one file immediately after playing another caused the web client to hang on a blank screen and the "active devices & recent activity log" do not show any signs of the content actually attempted to be loaded. When this was a problem (which as far as im aware it still is or was) the browser was identified as Safari. You can look here http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/26472-playstation-4-safari-issue/for the topic I described this issue.

Right, to the issue at hand. much more serious.

None of my users can actually play any media whatsoever now if they attempt to play from the ps4 browser. What's interesting is that ps4 has had no update (which may have caused an issue, but no) and things were playing fine (no updates to emby either, no changes to the server OS etc etc) and suddenly now nothing works, I tried both beta and official releases after this issue became apparent to no avail. What's interesting is again the recent activity etc show no sign of the user trying to watch anything even though they are on the play page with just a black screen. 

Using chrome on my laptop, fire stick or chrome cast devices all work fine. this is just for ps4 clients.

Interesting thing to note is as previously mentioned, emby identifies the ps4 browser as Safari right, well as of recently it is now identified as Firefox (but this had been changed a little while and things were still working)

Problem Summary:
PS4 Client's can not load any media.
Recent Activity \ Active Devices show no representation of an attempted viewing.
The issue began yesterday, 16/01/2016 sometime in the evening.

Attempted workarounds:
Restarted PS4/Wiped all browser data.
Tried accessing site via local/wan and domain address.
Restarted emby.
Restarted server and emby.
Wiped database and started fresh with all metadata/cache/library.db/refreshinfo.db etc.
Tried different BETAs and tried the OFFICIAL.

None of this has worked?
I stress that no changes were made between the time it was working and the time it isnt to neither the client or the server?

Would love any help or insights into this as 90% of my users are PS4 clients.

Vidman

Use the media player and dlna to play content . The ps4 browser is not updatable to the have all the features of a modern browser required for embys web client, so you are out of luck as the team wont scrimp on features to support browsers that don't have the features required

Edited by Vidman

The thing is it was working absolutely fine and since the web client supports HTML5 I don't see how this is an issue.

I would understand if emby had an update which caused the issue, but NOTHING has changed and then suddenly things stopped working.

Well emby has been getting lots of updated unless you've stopped downloading them. The web client is using lots of new technologies that require a modern browser

Yes there have been updates, but what I am trying to say is...

I didn't update it, it doesn't auto update as i run it as a service.
Nothing actually changed, just suddenly there is an issue, I'll try all I can.

I'll update tomorrow

Updating will probably only cause more issues with the ps4 browser

I meant that i'd tried more to see if its a problem with my machine which if I had to guess it isn't...

I aint actually updating the software (emby).

So what I did was completely uninstall emby and wipe all traces of it, restarted the pc, re-downloaded emby and this has fixed the issue.

Also, doing this fixed the issue reported here. http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/29265-emby-reporting-playback-of-videos-on-wrong-accounts/ (incase anyone else has this problem) 
I think i'll stay away from BETA updates from now. 

Edited by knottz

I aint actually updating the software (emby).

I think i'll stay away from BETA updates from now. 

??

Basically, I updated to a beta build. 

The site was working fine.

A day later, everything stops working (inbetween this time, no updates were done) 

I run emby as a service so I have to  manually update it for starters.