Damstas

Currently NPVR plugin for Emby doesn't seem to support DVB-subtitles, even when they show up in Emby.

post-14107-0-23340000-1453026558_thumb.jpg

EDIT: According to this thread: http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/29580-livetv-subtitles-and-multiple-audio-tracks/, it's Emby's fault, that when enabled (DVB-subtitles), they won't appear onscreen. :(  @@Luke @@ebr

Also my country seems to add the streams at the start of the show or little later, so if there is pre-padding it won't show any DVB-subtitles in the Emby menus at all.

So basically the DVB-subtitles are added dynamically later to the stream, as you can see in the pictures. Emby/NPVR-plugin would need to understand that changes could happen to the stream.

post-14107-0-66739200-1453026509_thumb.png

post-14107-0-15793100-1453026505_thumb.png

@@Spaceboy said that DVBLink-plugin has stream probing, could this be the solution in this issue too?

@@Sven

@@sub3

Edited by Damstas

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still unable to get DVB-subtitles, if the show starts without them and they are added to the stream for example 1 minute later.

Kodi and NPVR both autorecognize them if they are added to the stream, but Emby doesn't and will show the whole video without DVB-subtitles.

The bigger video behind is from Kodi.

LiveTV won't show DVB-subtitles at all and recordings only if they are available with the stream right at the start of the recording.

It seems that Emby doesn't monitor if any changes happen to the stream when it's running.

24497648452_6942271c00_h.jpgnodvbsubtitles by Damstas, on Flickr

Edited by Damstas

No rush or anything, but did you get the file? This is basically the only thing, that's keeping me from using Emby as a full-featured DVR frontend.

Any news on this? Also, when this is released, could it be implemented to client devices and server, so that they will automatically select them when they are added to the stream? Similarly to what Kodi does, so the user wouldn't have to interact every time.

Edited by Damstas

pünktchen

Hi Damstas,

i can understand your demand for this, but for sure there are a lot of other things that have a higher priority for the developers. With a browser as client this will never work the way you want, because the transcoding of the stream is a one time process right at the start of the stream. Maybe it works dynamical in a player that can direct play your live tv stream (Android or Theater), but for this your NextPVR plugin has to support this mode by delivering mediainfos at stream request. As far as i know this is not the case right now. So better ask @@Sven first to implement mediastream infos and after that, if it's still not working, come back here for your subtitle problems.

Edited by pünktchen

The change that was made for dvb subtitles was just to make sure they are recognized as graphic subs and not text, because @@fc7 needed that for tvheadend i think. as far as broad support for the format in all emby apps, it will have to wait.

The change that was made for dvb subtitles was just to make sure they are recognized as graphic subs and not text, because @@fc7 needed that for tvheadend i think. as far as broad support for the format in all emby apps, it will have to wait.

I was also requesting that function, but all of my requests/comments seem to have no value. It would have been nice, if you could have told me in the PM that this is the case.

Can you tell me which Emby client apps supports stream probing for these subtitles, so I don't have to guess? Every modern day client device (Kodi, NextPVR, MediaPortal) play these subtitles nicely.

@@Luke I appreciate Emby and the devs behind it, but I feel like every time I ask some question or request a feature, you don't comment on it, but you comment on someone else's request/question. :(  I know that you don't have a lot of time, but I feel that my questions have been quite simple and straightforward and wonder why I never get a reply from you.

Edited by Damstas

Hi Damstas,

i can understand your demand for this, but for sure there are a lot of other things that have a higher priority for the developers. With a browser as client this will never work the way you want, because the transcoding of the stream is a one time process right at the start of the stream. Maybe it works dynamical in a player that can direct play your live tv stream (Android or Theater), but for this your NextPVR plugin has to support this mode by delivering mediainfos at stream request. As far as i know this is not the case right now. So better ask @@Sven first to implement mediastream infos and after that, if it's still not working, come back here for your subtitle problems.

Hi. Glad that you told me this. Now I understand this issue little further. I will ask Sven, but if he needs more details, can I invite you to the message chain?

Do DVB-subtitles added later to the stream work with MediaPortal plugin in Emby client apps? 

Edited by Damstas

pünktchen

Hi. Glad that you told me this. Now I understand this issue little further. I will ask Sven, but if he needs more details, can I invite you to the message chain?

Do DVB-subtitles added later to the stream work with MediaPortal plugin in Emby client apps?

Feel free to ask me whatever you want.

I don't know if it works my MediaPortal plugin. I've never tested it, because i don't need live tv subtitles at all...

Feel free to ask me whatever you want.

I don't know if it works my MediaPortal plugin. I've never tested it, because i don't need live tv subtitles at all...

Thanks. The problem is not only with LiveTV. Those above screenshots are from a a recording. DVB-subtitles are only available with recordings if they are available right at the start of the stream.

Basically with NPVR plugin and Emby server:

LiveTV: no DVB-subtitles

Recording with the subtitle stream activate at the start: DVB-subtitles work

Recording with the subtitle stream activated a little later (for example 1 minute later): no DVB-subtitles for the whole show.

There doesn't seem to be any element that looks, if some changes happen in the stream. Kodi does this and so does MP and NPVR.

Edited by Damstas

This issue seems to be with every plugin and EmbyTV. Emby will only look for DVB-subtitles only at the start and won't monitor if they are added later. @@Luke I would like to request a fix? :) I appreciate that you added DVB-subtitle support earlier.

Edited by Damstas

• 2 months later...
Faravid

I have the same problem, DVB-subtitles not showing up, but I'm using DVBLink as the backend and the DVBLink plugin for emby.

Same with both live and recorded TV.

Kodi with DVBLink plugin that connects directly to the server's DVBLink backend plays DVB-subtitles just fine.

Also VLC plays subtitles just fine from the recorded files.

Emby isn't the only media server software having this issue, Plex cannot play them either.

Also there was a bug in FFMpeg that I couldn't even burn in the subtitles (overlay scaling issue), that's fixed now though.

But it's a real pain to convert and burn in subtitles with a command line tool for a pile of TV-shows so that's not a good workaround.

GUI tools cannot read and burn in DVB-subtitles, or atleast I haven't found any good programs for the purpose.

There are GUIs for FFMpeg but last time I checked the only potential one had a broken support for queues and use of the feature was not recommended.

Edit: There are batch processing GUIs for FFMpeg now that I checked again, anyways, native support for DVB-subtitles in Emby would make Emby perfect.

Edited by Faravid

Faravid

Testing out myFFmpeg, it's not free but burns in and scales subtitles just fine without writing any commands also it has lots and lots of options to choose from.

Still not a solution if I simply want to play back recorded TV shows with DVB-subtitles enabled!

• 3 months later...
sbarmen

I am using Mediaportal backend and cannot get subtitles for DVB programs. Recordings played directly works fine but not via the livetv plugin. Is there any progress fixing this?

Sent fra min E6853 via Tapatalk

pünktchen

I am using Mediaportal backend and cannot get subtitles for DVB programs. Recordings played directly works fine but not via the livetv plugin. Is there any progress fixing this?

Sent fra min E6853 via Tapatalk

What client? Are the subs selectable and do not show or what is the problem?

Please also post logs!

sbarmen

Hello again. Sorry for not posting logs. I am using the chrome client on a Ubuntu client machine. On the server I run Win10 with Mediaportal TV Server, MPextended (emby version) and the Mediaportal client plugin. I have enabled Intel accel for the transcoding. 

When I go to live-tv, select a channel it chooses swedish as language even though I have chosen Norwegian bokmål per default. The swedish subtitles work fine, when I select Norwegian the stream dies. If I try to start the playback again I am back to swedish. A bit differet if I record the show and playback from recordings (still from within live-tv plugin). First I get Swedish, then I can change to Norwegian, the stream dies, and when I playback again the Norwegian subtitles play fine. 

Logs attached. 

transcode-log3.txt

transcode-log2.txt

transcode-log.txt

server-debug-log.txt

there's something about the stream that ffmpeg doesn't like

http://10.0.0.20:4322/MPExtended/StreamingService/stream/RetrieveStream?identifier=TV-643-20160725152736: Invalid data found when processing input

as always if you experience playback issues make sure to try disabling hardware accelerated transcoding.