Does heavily mult-threaded hardware benefit emby Windows server?

kkhan

Planning for a new emby server build and wondering whether highly parallel architectures would benefit emby Windows server especially as I do not require transcoding - all my clients are Windows based. The 8 core Avoton board from Asrock has a TDW of 20 watts with a Passmark in excess of 4000 compared to my HP Microserver of 1200 or so. However, the single thread performance is probably no better than the Microserver so I might not see any benefit buy upgrading to an Avoton based system.

Another option I am considering is to move to a XEON D-1540 system with TDW of 45 watts which is also 8 core but is also hyper threaded unlike the Avoton but as I do not require transcoding probably I will again see no benefit ... And it is expensive.

The biggest performance issue I am seeing at the moment is that the Photo functionality on emby is unusable. Photographs take such a long time to render that clients time out irrespective of platform. I could use lower resolution versions but the whole object is to see my collection of DSLR photographs in glorious 4K. Any experience as to whether the above two options would improve rendering performance for photographs - is that process multi-threaded?

For transcoding purposes it can yes. Otherwise we are aiming to keep the server as light as we possibly can.

• Like 1