Anyone using Emby native Live TV scheduling with great consistency?

obrienmd

obrienmd

I'm getting close to moving my MythTV recording schedules over to Emby Premiere, which I've already purchased given an awesome experience with Emby in general (I only have one HDHR Prime, so cannot use both), but the reports of scheduling bugs (e.g. http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/29423-an-aweful-lot-of-refresh-guide-failures/, http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/29785-insufficiently-unique-recording-filenames/, http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/29693-epg-will-not-update/)makes me think this would not be a wise move yet.

I'm hoping this is just paranoia / selection bias - for that reason, I'd love to hear reports from people using Emby TV to record many shows with Schedules Direct as a feed source, with great consistency and no major bugs (primarily regarding missing shows, I can deal with playback issues).

What say you, Emby community?

jasonmcroy

Well, I obviously can only speak for myself here. I find that in general with Emby I don't seem to have issues in general like I read on the Forums. Usually the issues I see get fixed pretty quickly and only become a minor, temporary annoyance.

In regards to Emby Live TV, I had issues in the past on the recording front but they seem squashed now, at least for me. I also run an HDHomerun Prime unit. I do also have an extend but right now I can't use both because the EPG won't support two separate tuners. I hope that gets resolved soon so I can have 5 tuners to use.

My recording issues centered around random drops during the recording process. If there was any issue in the stream to the tuner it would drop and not get picked back up and I would lose the recording completely. I had to stick with the new DVR from HDHR because of that issue because their service would pick up the recording again right away and I would only be left with a slight glitch in the final recording. So, I had stopped using Emby for recording for a little while.

Now, I picked Emby Live TV back up about 3 weeks ago since there have been several server updates. So far I have had ZERO issues with any of my recordings. I have seen my tuner light flicker on occasion but Emby has kept hold of the tuner just fine and didn't just disconnect. 

For me, I would say it's safe to move over at least from my perspective. It seems very stable and the recording quality is quite good.

mellomade

I can echo Jason's statements about EmbyTV.  I have been using the latest dev version of the server but for the past few months have been recording 20 or so shows a week without fail.  Some days utilizing 4 tuners from 2 HDHR devices at once.  I use a CONNECT and an EXTEND and EmbyTV handles both of these just fine.

There are some feature enhancements I am waiting for as well such as recording overlap detection for back-to-back recordings on the same channel but as long as you have enough tuners to cover your shows it works wonderfully.

The best part is that the response here is unreal.  Most of my questions get answers or at least acknowledged within a few hours.

obrienmd

Great feedback, thanks! I'm going to take the plunge - to mellomade's point, I noticed that I had two NBA basketball games set to record in testing a few weeks back, and one overwrote the other, but a bug was posted (before I got to it) regarding unique filenames and resolved extremely quickly... Great to see! Really looking forward to a simpler integrated setup with Emby!

hifiaudio2

Does Emby Live TV together with schedules direct do a good job on series recordings like Masterpiece on PBS? With the HDHR kickstarter DVR,  it cannot distinguish Downton Abbey from Mr Selfridge from Sherlock, etc.  Can Emby and Schedules direct?

jasonmcroy

Does Emby Live TV together with schedules direct do a good job on series recordings like Masterpiece on PBS? With the HDHR kickstarter DVR, it cannot distinguish Downton Abbey from Mr Selfridge from Sherlock, etc. Can Emby and Schedules direct?

Well, I can't speak from personal experience since I don't record those but I believe Schedules Direct has a free 7 day trial. You could sign up and check out how the data downloads for you in the epg grid.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

jasonmcroy

What day and time do they come on? I can scroll through my guide and see what it says.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

jasonmcroy

Here are some screenshots for Downtown Abbey. It's listed as Masterpiece Theater and is probably why DVRs have trouble with it. However, it is listed as "New" in the guide and if you set up the recording in Emby by those rules to only record new episodes it will record any Masterpiece Theater that is listed as "New". 

569fb5a2b8cdb_Whlegridsmall.jpg

And then when you select it:

569fb5c250fae_Gridfocussmall.jpg

Now, I don't work for SD and I can't speak for them, but it's possible that if you ask nicely they may give you an additional trial so you can check it out for yourself. 

Hope this helps!

mellomade

Does Emby Live TV together with schedules direct do a good job on series recordings like Masterpiece on PBS? With the HDHR kickstarter DVR,  it cannot distinguish Downton Abbey from Mr Selfridge from Sherlock, etc.  Can Emby and Schedules direct?

This has nothing to do with EmbyTV, Schedules Direct, or any other guide/PVR provider.  Guide data is subject to the information supplied by the content provider.  If PBS calls their show 'Masterpiece Classic - Downton Abbey' - this is how it will show up in the guide provider data - for all of them. 

I know these things are annoying - but I don't think groups like Schedules Direct or Gracenote want to get into the habit of modifying guide data to suit individuals. 

jasonmcroy

This has nothing to do with EmbyTV, Schedules Direct, or any other guide/PVR provider. Guide data is subject to the information supplied by the content provider. If PBS calls their show 'Masterpiece Classic - Downton Abbey' - this is how it will show up in the guide provider data - for all of them.

I know these things are annoying - but I don't think groups like Schedules Direct or Gracenote want to get into the habit of modifying guide data to suit individuals.

Yeah, totally agree. I was going to mention that as well. A epg provider can only be as good as the data provided.

Sent from my SM-G386T1 using Tapatalk

hifiaudio2

Right --  but that is why I was wondering how the behavior was for this.  With WMC, it somehow knows how to separate Downton from Mr. Selfridge.  I believe TIVO does as well. 

• 2 weeks later...
Nathanio

I have been usign Emby LiveTV service for about 4 months now and the last two have been a real test. Christmas saw lots put onto record and we were away from home so monitoring was difficult. However; it recorded everything as expected and without hiccup. 

I have been very pleased and look forward to the day when the last few pieces of the puzzle are there (pause and resume live tv, skipping live tv and such)