Adjust subtitle delay

alex3137

miniliQuid

Hmm, I'm starting to wonder if the reason for the low priority of this feature is not due to low interest from the users nor lack of resources, but a possible association of this feature with reproducing pirated content using emby. Is this possible @@Luke ?

Though pirated content is definitely the biggest use group, it's not the only one. Besides, in that case they simply state that pirating is not something they agree with (you can see this when people suggest scraping things in other topics etc.) rather than replying like this:

Yes good idea.

Yes I agree that subtitle delay is a setting that we should have in our apps.

It is something we'd like to add in a future update. thanks !

I don't have an ETA, sorry.

I mean, there are so many requests, so many good features, that it simply boils down to how many votes does it get, and how easily can it be implemented.

This has been mentioned often in other topics.

Hardly fair to skip the requests with 100 votes, for something with 40 votes, unless the implementation would require a LOT less effort.

Basically, you only have so many resources, so where to use them first? :D

Craftsyl

Yes I agree with that, though i'm not entirely sure that votes or likes should be the deciding metric. It should factor in, but the purpose and the value that the feature itself brings should be accounted for.

Also note that, as you said, there is an high probability that this feature is of use to a large set of current users and probably these users either are unaware of this forum or this mechanism to vote for features, or are not willing to make the effort to vote. These users should be accounted for. 

But yes, I agree that prioritising features based on available resources and importance is a hard thing to achieve and it is hard to please everyone. 

dallinlmag

I feel like this and a few other features would be prime candidates for community involvement in the development.

I have been thinking about how I could add a plugin for this subtitle issue and the skip intro feature to use personally and then publish for others. I then read that there is no way to modify the playback UI, so unless I am wrong, I will now have to resort to other methods of changing the srt file to modify the subs.

Maybe this is more of a topic for the developer API forum, but it seems like there are enough resources to at least get the ball rolling as long as we are able, and then the changes can stay as plugins or be pulled into the main product. 

• Like 1

I feel like this and a few other features would be prime candidates for community involvement in the development.

I have been thinking about how I could add a plugin for this subtitle issue and the skip intro feature to use personally and then publish for others. I then read that there is no way to modify the playback UI, so unless I am wrong, I will now have to resort to other methods of changing the srt file to modify the subs.

Maybe this is more of a topic for the developer API forum, but it seems like there are enough resources to at least get the ball rolling as long as we are able, and then the changes can stay as plugins or be pulled into the main product. 

HI, I welcome the participation and I can certainly help you get setup in the other areas that you had in mind, but this particular feature is something that I anticipate will be very much embedded into the core of the applications and not something a plugin can handle.

joggs

HI, I welcome the participation and I can certainly help you get setup in the other areas that you had in mind, but this particular feature is something that I anticipate will be very much embedded into the core of the applications and not something a plugin can handle.

Just let him do a plugin and merge it later. It is obvious this will not be done in a while in the core.

Skickat från min HD1903 via Tapatalk

Just let him do a plugin and merge it later. It is obvious this will not be done in a while in the core.

Skickat från min HD1903 via Tapatalk

It's not really possible. There will be a lot of user interface development individually in the apps, and then there will be work on the server transcoding engine. Those are areas that plugins currently cannot intercept. The only thing a plugin could really do is alter the contents of an external subtitle file.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
erhnam

I have been paying for Emby for 2 months now.

I like everything about it but not having this feature is a dealbreaker for me.

So sadly i will test other solutions soon.

Edit. An ETA would at least infuse some hope

Edited by erhnam

Riggs
2 hours ago, erhnam said:

I have been paying for Emby for 2 months now.

I like everything about it but not having this feature is a dealbreaker for me.

So sadly i will test other solutions soon.

Edit. An ETA would at least infuse some hope

Meanwhile you can use Emby for Kodi (if your client supports Kodi)

FredMuppeteer

The Emby interface(s) should support subtitle shifting by now. It is such an important feature for a video player. It was requested over 4 years ago and its absence makes the viewing experience so much worse for a lot of people.

I've had so many occasions where I've tried all the available subs from multiple sources and none of them quite match up. Being able to just pick one and quickly shift it by quarter or half-second increments while the video is playing would be so useful.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

joggs

Overload the subtitle method with an offset millisecond-integer parameter sounds like a quick addition to the core. After that, the client code could simply call the overloaded method by  adding the offset from a slider in the GUI.

You'll be done by lunch.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
EliteArmedForce

I notice this feature have been requested since 2016. The lack of this feature leads me to temporarily switch to Kodi(Emby Con) or sometimes Plex sadly. Almost all the modern media player supports this feature. This key feature, just makes me & others switch to Emby alternatives (workarounds). Eagerly waiting for this feature.

• Like 1

theghost31

Hi

I searched if a thread already exist. I can see that the answer is YES.
I confirm that should be here since a while now.

Maybe you could add this feature in your next roadmap ? I think your product is mature but now we need some features ( basic feature ) in this case 

thank you ;)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
rb9999

+1 from me as well. I love Emby and will continue to use it, but I need to find another way to watch a show whose subtitles have slipped throughout the episode. I watch a lot of British shows and need the subtitles to understand what they are saying. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This will be in Emby Server 4.5. You'll be able to use the controls in the video player to adjust the subtitle offset.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 10

EliteArmedForce
5 hours ago, Luke said:

This will be in Emby Server 4.5. You'll be able to use the controls in the video player to adjust the subtitle offset.

What a announcement, damn. Thanks Luke, for implementing the feature. Any duration when this update is coming??