Adjust subtitle delay

alex3137

Just checked and the Bravia also has 1.8.54g, and my Fire TV 4K stick has 1.8.55a. 

Any idea where I get the beta apk to sideload it? I'll try it on the Humax Aura, and will open a support ticket. Thanks

Edited by F1nchy

GrimReaper
3 hours ago, F1nchy said:

Just checked and the Bravia also has 1.8.54g, and my Fire TV 4K stick has 1.8.55a. 

Any idea where I get the beta apk to sideload it? I'll try it on the Humax Aura, and will open a support ticket. Thanks

In the first post I replied there's a link. 

Just now, F1nchy said:

none of my devices are picking up newer downloads?

Hi.  Please post in the forum section for the app you are referring to but I'm not sure exactly what you mean there...

43 minutes ago, ebr said:

Hi.  Please post in the forum section for the app you are referring to but I'm not sure exactly what you mean there...

• 2 weeks later...
F1nchy

OK, so I have been able to manually update Emby on all my devices and now have the subtitle offset. It works ok which is useful, but it's quite basic in that it only allows adjustment in 1 second increments. Is it possible for it to be changed to 0.5 second increments? That would allow users to get it much more accurate. Can that be added to the features request/adjustments list? Presumably it should be fairly easy to change from 1 to 0.5? I don't know what percentage of users use subs, but for us that do subs out of sync can be quite irritating!
Thanks!

• Like 1

GrimReaper

Strange, haven't used it in a while, but I'd swear interval was shorter before... Hm, then again, I might as well be wrong. 

Malmgren
52 minutes ago, F1nchy said:

Is it possible for it to be changed to 0.5 second increments?

I have not been able to test this long awaited function yet (since I'm using the LG WebOS app that isn't very often updated), but I have to agree, 1 second is  too long. Half a second would be perfect. If I'm not misremembering Kodi uses 0.1 seconds and that's a bit too fine-grained and just makes it irritating to use.

29 minutes ago, F1nchy said:

So how do I go about getting a change to the subtitles offset increments logged? Thanks

I'll split your suggestion into a new feature request. Thanks !

• Like 2

dwestenk
On 1/7/2021 at 2:53 PM, emoby0 said:

Hi there - I'm wondering if the Roku client will ever be updated with this feature? My understanding is that neither the plex or emby clients can support this (possibly due to roku?)

Any updates regarding the possible Roku client update for this feature?

2 hours ago, dwestenk said:

Any updates regarding the possible Roku client update for this feature?

The Roku player has no facility for doing this so, no, we don't have any updates there at this time.  Sorry.

7 hours ago, GhostDemon616 said:

Will this be implemented to Apple devices also? I have an Apple TV I use and would like this.

Hi, yes this will make it to Apple TV. Thanks.

• 1 month later...
mad_cow
On 2/23/2021 at 6:37 PM, F1nchy said:

Alternatively switch to beta releases in the Google Play store. That helped me to get the most recent version on my nVidia Shield TV

• 1 month later...
Baenwort
On 3/13/2021 at 7:55 AM, ebr said:

The Roku player has no facility for doing this so, no, we don't have any updates there at this time.  Sorry.

Any chance I could set a global offset for a roku device from the admin panel of the server? This would let me get closer as the offset is pretty constant for a given configuration in my experience. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
Dx111111

Hope it's okay to kick this.

On my Sony Bravia TV (google tv, latest version of android tv), I do have the subtitle delay option, but:

- Only 1 second at a time, a smaller increment is really needed sometimes.

- Only on external srt files, not on the subtitle that's built into the video file (yes, they can be slightly off as well).

- Also, since we're on the subject, it would be amazing to have Emby load all srt files in the same folder as choosable subs, not just the one with the exact same name. That way, you can change / switch on the fly when someone else watches the same content but in a different language sub (yes that happens here). Nowadays most media players just load all srts in the same folder, while Emby only loads the one with the exact same name as the video file. This remembers me of the days when torrenting just started to be a thing, having to rename the sub file is something I haven't had to do in many many years.

GrimReaper
31 minutes ago, Dx111111 said:

- Only 1 second at a time, a smaller increment is really needed sometimes

Already implemented in beta branch, you can download from here: Emby Android TV Release Notes (BETA) - Android - Emby Community and sideload.

- Only on external srt files, not on the subtitle that's built into the video file (yes, they can be slightly off as well).

Drop an eye here: Subtitle offset and position options are available sporadically - Android TV / Fire TV - Emby Community

That way, you can change / switch on the fly when someone else watches the same content but in a different language sub (yes that happens here).

Just append your same-movie-name subtitles with language code and they'll all be listed.

Edited by GrimReaper76
Append
  • Like 2

Dx111111
1 hour ago, GrimReaper76 said:

Just append your same-movie-name subtitles with language code and they'll all be listed.

I'm sorry, what does that mean?

For the other answers, thanks, I'll wait until the feature is out of beta :)

Edited by Dx111111

GrimReaper
42 minutes ago, Dx111111 said:

I'm sorry, what does that mean?

It means to add ISO language name or two- or three-letter code at the end of your subtitle name:

List of ISO 639-1 codes - Wikipedia

So, for example, for english subtitle it would look like <movie name>.en.srt, <movie name>.eng.srt or <movie name>.english.srt. Ditto for other languages.

Edited by GrimReaper76
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

Is the delay implemented as a global setting?

Means, if user A notices a delay and adjusts it, will this information be saved somewhere for the time when user B play the same file?

If not, I think this would be a good improvement.

5 hours ago, neik said:

Means, if user A notices a delay and adjusts it, will this information be saved somewhere for the time when user B play the same file?

Not yet but it's possible for the future. Thanks.

• Like 1

Dx111111
8 hours ago, neik said:

How would that even work? Because subs that come baked into the video file, are 99,99% accurate.

Other subs that people manually add (.srt) are not always accurate, but how would you sync the adjustments to other users if they don't have the exact same .srt file?