Adjust subtitle delay

alex3137

TheMafia

+5 here. I am deaf and miss a lot of dialogue. Very time consuming when I have to try 5-6 different subtitles only to find none work correctly. 

• 2 weeks later...
KodiTV72

+1

Take a look at Kodi, it does subtitles well.

You can download a new/different sub file while watching and then adjust the sync while watching.

Malmgren

Take a look at Kodi, it does subtitles well.

Agreed. I've always had two buttons on the remote mapped for syncing subtitles back and forth in Kodi.

The only slight problem in my opinion is that Kodi does it in too small steps. When you've got a subtitle that's a minute off (not unusual when the person doing the subtitles had a resume and my version of the episode doesn't) it takes a while to get it in sync. Steps of half a second would be enough.

• 2 weeks later...
Karl Blixt

This was a good idea in 2016 and it still is in 2020. What happened to it? Could we have an update? Is it no longer on the road map for some technical reason or have it been such a low priority that we haven't heard more about it for 3+ years.

As a nonnative English speaker, with a lot of users that use subtitles this is one of those killer features that simplifies fixing subtitles a lot.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
Malmgren

It will be coming in future updates. Thanks for the feedback.

Sorry to be nagging, but are there any concrete plans? As opposed to most of the feature requests here that would be (well, most of them) nice to have, this one is really crucial.

It's really hard to find synced subtitles for the content we're viewing and every time we have to turn off the subtitles because they're well out of sync I tell my family that I promise that we'll soon be able to use those out-of-sync subtitles...

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
miniliQuid

Sorry to be nagging, but are there any concrete plans? As opposed to most of the feature requests here that would be (well, most of them) nice to have, this one is really crucial.

It's really hard to find synced subtitles for the content we're viewing and every time we have to turn off the subtitles because they're well out of sync I tell my family that I promise that we'll soon be able to use those out-of-sync subtitles...

Agree with this, but everything considered I have seen plenty requests with the star logo on the right side of the first post saying "popular" and having near to 100 likes or so :(

We really need to have more votes here :D

• Like 1

Gohlas

I my opinion this feature is a must in any player, but this topic was created in January 2016.

So 4 years has passed and nothing, this also doesn't seems to be important for many people neither as there are only 40 likes.

I believe it is not a priority for developers.

rechigo

Why does Emby have to correct for improper subtitle timing? Sure it would a nice feature to have, but what kind of crap are you trying to play that your subtitles aren't synced property with the video time code? Sounds like the devs will be wasting time on a feature to support people who pirate their content (ie poorly ripped content). 

When I do rip media, it only contains image based subtitles (DVDSUB/PGS) and I'm sure as hell not going to allow those codecs in my library, so I simply exclude them when I remux or re-encode my rips so Emby can pull text based subtitles which aren't always going to be synced perfectly

Craftsyl

Hmm, I'm starting to wonder if the reason for the low priority of this feature is not due to low interest from the users nor lack of resources, but a possible association of this feature with reproducing pirated content using emby. Is this possible @@Luke ?