Adjust subtitle delay

alex3137

14 hours ago, Dx111111 said:

Other subs that people manually add (.srt) are not always accurate

This are the ones I am talking about as afaik only srt subs can be delayed, graphical subs (sub, pgs) cannot.

14 hours ago, Dx111111 said:

but how would you sync the adjustments to other users if they don't have the exact same .srt file?

Imagine: I have family living in Portugal and I want to give them access to my server.

All my files though only have German + English, everything else I through away when ripping the disc - reripping is not an option as it would be way to time intensive.
Now I grab a Portuguese srt from e.g. Opensubtitles but it is out of sync let's say 600ms.
What I am trying to say is: Whenever the first user notices the delay and fixes it for himself (by setting +/- 600ms) this information should be stored globally for all users as all other users will run into the same delay issue if they use that sub.

Somehow clear now?

20 hours ago, Dx111111 said:

but how would you sync the adjustments to other users if they don't have the exact same .srt file?

Hi.  Users don't have separate subtitle files.  Everyone is looking at the same media.  Saving the offset globally makes sense.

Dx111111
38 minutes ago, ebr said:

Hi.  Users don't have separate subtitle files.  Everyone is looking at the same media.  Saving the offset globally makes sense.

No, not at all?

Example: I download a .srt file somewhere rename it so it's the exact same name as the movie, the sub a bit out of sync, so I sync it with the movie. Or I download a different .srt file that has a different timetable.

Everyone else with that movie and an srt file should then receive my sync? Horrible plan, since that movie has like 20 different .srt files available for the same language subtitle. It would trow all those other people out of sync.

Dx111111
6 hours ago, neik said:

Somehow clear now

Sorry, not at all. A .srt file has only the filename as an identifier. And usually you change the filename to match the movie. If I match my .srt file to my movie, and you match your (different) srt file to the same movie, and we sync those, one of us is gonna be out of sync.

I think there is a misunderstanding:

Global does not mean the delay will be shared between Emby servers (e.g. yours and mine) but the delay would be stored within my server/database only.

Dx111111
31 minutes ago, neik said:

I think there is a misunderstanding:

Global does not mean the delay will be shared between Emby servers (e.g. yours and mine) but the delay would be stored within my server/database only.

Ohhhh yes since global was said, I thought you meant between all Emby users. Yes, on the same server, with multiple users, it would make sense.

• 5 months later...
MikeyMan

Should the offset be available on the Chromecast with Google TV app? Can't seem to find it.

2 hours ago, MikeyMan said:

Should the offset be available on the Chromecast with Google TV app? Can't seem to find it.

Hi, what version of the Emby app do you have?

Malmgren

...and the LG app also still miss it. It's the one and only feature I've been waiting for since I started using Emby...

MikeyMan
11 minutes ago, Malmgren said:

...and the LG app also still miss it. It's the one and only feature I've been waiting for since I started using Emby...

The LG app on my c9 does have the option. That's why I was looking for it.

22 minutes ago, Malmgren said:

It's definitely in the latest update to the Emby LG app.

• Like 1

Malmgren
On 5/3/2022 at 8:14 PM, Luke said:

It's definitely in the latest update to the Emby LG app.

Is it hidden somewhere else than in the other apps? I've been looking and I can't seem to find it. I'm on version 1.0.35.

10 minutes ago, Malmgren said:

Is it hidden somewhere else than in the other apps? I've been looking and I can't seem to find it. I'm on version 1.0.35.

Remember that it's only used with external text subtitles, so that might be the reason you're not seeing it.

1 hour ago, MikeyMan said:

The version on Chromecast seems to be 2.0.70g.

The option is in the subtitle menu during playback but, again, it only applies to external text subtitles.

MikeyMan
35 minutes ago, ebr said:

The option is in the subtitle menu during playback but, again, it only applies to external text subtitles.

On the LG it's not in the subtitle menu but in the general settings under the cog icon.

I'm checking the exact same files with the exact same server with the exact same subtitles. It's not there.

• Thanks 1

The item you are playing appears to have a single internal subtitle track.  The offset only works with external sub tracks.

05-05 10:08:06.788  3164  3164 I System.out: *** External sub streams: 0
05-05 10:08:07.407  3164  3164 D EventLogger:   TextRenderer [
05-05 10:08:07.407  3164  3164 D EventLogger:     Group:0, adaptive_supported=N/A [
05-05 10:08:07.407  3164  3164 D EventLogger:       [ ] Track:0, id=3, mimeType=application/x-subrip, language=en, label=English, supported=YES
05-05 10:08:07.407  3164  3164 D EventLogger:     ]
05-05 10:08:07.407  3164  3164 D EventLogger:   ]

FrostByte

I believe the Samsung and LG apps have to extract the internal subtitles first and overlay the two streams.  Android apps don't need that option

MikeyMan
14 minutes ago, FrostByte said:

I believe the Samsung and LG apps have to extract the internal subtitles first and overlay the two streams.  Android apps don't need that option

If that’s the case, i’d say at least make the experience consistent. 

There is quite some difference between the various apps/solutions at the moment. 

Does this also imply that if there’s an internal sub, it wont search for others?

Edited by MikeyMan

The different players on different platforms have different capabilities but it would be very odd for an internal subtitle track to need timing adjustments...