[Win10] App not connecting to server

BorgSquared

BorgSquared

For some reason I haven't been able to get the win10 client to connect to my Emby server for a few weeks or so now. I have tried multiple PCs and they all have the same issue. I can connect from other clients (android, web, theater, roku, etc) but not the Win10 app.

I have tried choosing a detected server, manually by ip, and using Emby Connect. All methods fail to connect. Is it possible the latest build of Emby from 7Illusions is incompatible with the latest stable build of Emby server? Or perhaps an incompatibility with the latest stable build of Windows 10?

56996ee4172bc_detected.png56996eefe138b_ip.png

Trevor68

Hi, your not alone, though my setup may be more unusual than yours. My Server lives on my HTPC which is permanently VPN connected. Since this last release i cannot connect locally on my network anymore unless I disable the VPN and have the Server live on the same network. In the past this was never a problem, and my web clients and android client continue to not care if they connect locally, or to my external host address.

Something is up.

Trevor68

Yeah I read that first, as clearly the app does have some sort of loopback issue. My Server runs on a HTPC, so no local clients apart from wmc. Weirdly I realised something new this morning while testing in the sync issues thread. If I disconnect the VPN I can connect my client using the local address, 192.168.0.103. If I then RE-connect the vpn the client stays connected and works fine.

It appears to only NOT connect when starting the client and the VPN is on.

I suspect this crept in on the latest release, as I have had this client on my tablet for years and never seen this before, and can replicate it on all my other windows devices.

Edited by Trevor68

Trevor68

Funny you should say that, I tried out Emby Connect for the first time because of this exact problem, and it has made no difference, still cannot connect locally if the VPN is on.

Trevor68

sorry, unsure if you mean me or the OP, but if you mean me then yes web client is fine, hence i came searching here for answers as it seems app related.

This only happens on the Windows modern app.  Not Android or Web versions.  Any way to get this working?  I JUST started using the Win10 app.  Not a very good first impression.

Are you running from the same machine as the server? If so please see post #3. If not then I cannot reproduce this. Are you using a VPN? Maybe @@7illusions has some ideas.

@@Luke, Emby Server is installed on a dedicated Windows 10 PC (different machine from other clients).  I'm trying to access it via ANY Win10 modern app PC\tablet (via Emby Connect, Manually, wifi\Lan, or outside LAN).  No matter what I try, same error as in screenshot above.  No issues at all with any other clients I've tried... everything works with other clients, including...(via Emby Connect, Manually, wifi\Lan, or outside LAN)

If I had to guess, maybe, the Windows app doesn't like a recent changes made to the server build.  If I know which version of the server works, maybe, I can revert to an older Windows server version until there's a fix for this in the Windows Store.

Edited by MKANET

Trevor68

Almost sounds firewall related, I had some strange issues reaching my calibre server, there was talks of certificates being missing etc etc, then I tested the link using Edge and had to allow 3 different processes thru my firewall it works fine now.

Just mentioning this in case anyone like me has never opened Edge on 10. :-)

I still cannot connect locally if my VPN is on, but can if it is off, which I'm now going to presume is yet another issue so sorry for clogging this thread.

Trevor68, I think the problem may not be firewall related; if it was, the Web Client (and other clients) wouldn't work either in the same scenario (clients connect using the same TCP/IP endpoints and respective TCP ports).  Anyway, I have my Window firewall completely disabled; and, still won't connect to the Emby server, not even directly, via LAN. 

...Remember, none of the Emby clients have this issue, except for the Win10 modern app.  Even my Roku client works without a hitch (same LAN).

PS: It's not SSL certs related either, since this happens also without https enabled (just straight http).  If you did get it to work, I'm guessing it may have something to do with your VPN configuration.

Almost sounds firewall related, I had some strange issues reaching my calibre server, there was talks of certificates being missing etc etc, then I tested the link using Edge and had to allow 3 different processes thru my firewall it works fine now.

Just mentioning this in case anyone like me has never opened Edge on 10. :-)

I still cannot connect locally if my VPN is on, but can if it is off, which I'm now going to presume is yet another issue so sorry for clogging this thread.

Edited by MKANET

Trevor68

Sure no worries, I was just pointing out the web client depends which browser you use, mine too was fine, but only because i had already allowed Firefox thru my firewall. I was surprised that when I fired up Edge i had to allow another 3 processes.

7illusions

I'm trying to reproduce the issue, but without luck so far.

The changes that where introduced in the latest build are nuget updates, maybe the latest lib got some stuff added which I've missed to add support for.

I'll keep on looking

I'm trying to reproduce the issue, but without luck so far.

The changes that where introduced in the latest build are nuget updates, maybe the latest lib got some stuff added which I've missed to add support for.

I'll keep on looking

There shouldn't be. I also can't reproduce.

7illusions

@Trevor86 Just to make sure you got a clean slate, can you open fileexplorer and go to the follwing path:

%AppData%\..\Local\Packages\436337Illusions.com.MediaBrowser_77hd5e1v1hqs4\LocalState

And delete EVERYTHING in there and then start the app.

Trevor68

you can remove my VPN issue, it works fine since my dns client started updating the IP correctly. Go figure why that was affecting the local connection but there it is.

I only have my stubborn laptop refusing to sync as my last problem now.

Im stil having the same problem.. But, mine is affecting ALL my win10 devices that have the Emby modern app installed.  They all run the web client no problem via web browser.

Would I have to delete the below directory on all my Win10 PCs?

%AppData%\..\Local\Packages\436337Illusions.com.MediaBrowser_77hd5e1v1hqs4\LocalState

@@Luke Just to be clear, this DOES happen even on a clean Win10 PC client Emby client installed (with full access to the Internet).  Also, with latest full stable release of Emby server for windows Version 3.0.5817.0

Web client (and other plaform specific client all work just fine under all circumstances) using a normal Chrome Web Browser...AND... using the same public URL provided by Emby Server for remote access.

In other words, there's something fundamentally broken in the WIn10 Modern app.  My guess is as soon as this app starts gaining popularity, issues like this will be a bigger concern for the person developing the Win10 modern app.

@@Luke Just to be clear, this DOES happen even on a clean Win10 PC client Emby client installed (with full access to the Internet).  Also, with latest full stable release of Emby server for windows Version 3.0.5817.0

Web client (and other plaform specific client all work just fine under all circumstances) using a normal Chrome Web Browser...AND... using the same public URL provided by Emby Server for remote access.

In other words, there's something fundamentally broken in the WIn10 Modern app.  My guess is as soon as this app starts gaining popularity, issues like this will be a bigger concern for the person developing the Win10 modern app.

Hi,

I have been using the Win 10 Modern app since it was released, back then its was Win 8/8.1 without experiencing any basic connectivity issues. So I find your comment that "there's something fundamentally broken the WIn10 Modern app" a bit "extreme'. Obviously it is not working for you, but perhaps you can provide more details on your setup? Note Trevor68's comment above, his problem was vpn related.

Neither Luke or 7illusions can reproduce this issue, the more they have to go on, the sooner they can address your issue.

Just my 2 cents.

-Vicpa

• Like 1

Happy2Play

If that were true why is it not happening to everyone?  Just installed on a brand new install of Windows 10 and was connected in 3 clicks.

Hi @@Happy2Play, I didn't mean to suggest this issue affects "everyone".  .There's condition that triggers this issue... and, it can completely prevent Win10 modern apps from connecting to the server;( regardless of what devices the Modern app is installed on), Straight tcp/ip http\https to the same server work fine...

Honestly, I just use Emby Theater on my Win10 devices.  But, it would be nice to have the option to also use the Win10 modern app.

Happy2Play

The problem is unless more people have this issue or it is reproducible, it will be hard to find the problem.  Since the this app is depend on the OS and none of the other apps are you can't really compare them that way.  So what is different with your Windows 10 install that is causing the issue?

Happy2Play

@@MKANET, Does the log show anything in reference to the connection failure?

%LocalAppData%\Packages\436337Illusions.com.MediaBrowser_77hd5e1v1hqs4\LocalState\MetroLogs