Episode Thumbnails Not Downloading (Auto or Manual)

gochiefs88842
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

gochiefs88842

Hello and many thanks in advance for any support,

I reinstalled Emby Server a few months ago and recently noticed after reinstalling Emby for WMC (this IS a server question, I promise) and browsing that my episode thumbnails for new additions are not consistently auto-downloading and many old shows are now missing the thumbnails (episode thumbs for Seinfeld, Curb Your Enthusiasm are now completely gone and I specifically remember seeing these when browsing clients in the past).  This behavior is visible in the web client and other clients (WMC, Android). I have all of the expected server settings activated (download artwork from internet, save artwork in folders, all metadata services checked, download chapter images, etc.).  I do have a custom metadata path, but that has not conflicted with the save artwork in folders for movies and *some* tv episode new additions, thus I don't believe this is a permissions issue.  

I have also tried to manually download thumbs with very limited success.  First, trying to update an entire tv show at the series level (not season or episode) rarely works.  Even when get all the way into a specific episode and manually attempt to download that image, after clicking the download icon, no image shows up (even though there is no longer a red "missing image" indicator next to the episode in the explorer tree) and Windows Explorer shows nothing has been downloaded or saved.  The only way I can get thumbs to show up is if I literally save each individual image online and drag and drop into the season folder--but this requires matching the naming convention and is ridiculously time consuming.

I have searched all the other forum topics and even attempted to remove a series, scan library, re-add series, re-scan, etc. to no avail.  I've also read about turning off the realtime monitor, but this doesn't seem applicable and also seems burdensome to have to modify the timestamp on every episode missing thumbnails. I do believe, however, that part of the issue stems from Emby only auto-downloading new additions on scans, however (and not generating thumbs for missing, albeit old items, even with manual attempts at series, season or even episode level). I also prefer not to use MCM or another scraper/server frontend when Emby already has these capabilities and they DID work for me prior to the most recent reinstall.  I've included photos of my approach, but it's pretty straightforward.  Please help!  

P.S. I'm happy to add log files if requested/appropriate

post-4652-0-72898200-1452878214_thumb.jpg

post-4652-0-52799600-1452878230_thumb.jpg

post-4652-0-87540800-1452878238_thumb.jpg

post-4652-0-02631300-1452878247_thumb.jpg

post-4652-0-19850200-1452878259_thumb.jpg

Edited by gochiefs88842

gochiefs88842

Okay, restarted server, scanned library and recreated attempt to manually download thumbs (at series, season and episode levels). It said images (black/non-existent) were present for Eastbound & Down (per my previous screenshots), so I did it with Curb Your Enthusiasm - Season 1 because a red "missing image" indicator was present on the metadata manager file tree.  The attached log should include my attempts to save the online images.

I can also remove the folder from explorer, rescan, put it back, rescan and try to manually download thumbs again if that would be helpful (for logging)?

server-63588454902.txt

Edited by gochiefs88842

gochiefs88842

@Luke: Are you seeing anything in the log file that I'm missing?  I also tried to open the server in three different browser programs (chrome, IE and firefox) to make sure it wasn't some sort of issue there, but it did not change anything. Thanks.

• Solution

you have saving of local metadata enabled but emby server does not have write access

2016-01-15 11:44:02.5314 Error ProviderManager: Error in metadata saver
	*** Error Report ***
	Version: 3.0.5786.0
	Command line: C:\Users\Arik\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\System\MediaBrowser.ServerApplication.exe
	Operating system: Microsoft Windows NT 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1
	Processor count: 4
	64-Bit OS: True
	64-Bit Process: False
	Program data path: C:\Users\Arik\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server
	Application Path: C:\Users\Arik\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\System\MediaBrowser.ServerApplication.exe
	Access to the path '\\HTPC\G\Stand-Up Comedy\Zach Galifianakis - Comedy Central Presents (1999)\title04.nfo' is denied.
	System.UnauthorizedAccessException

• Like 1

gochiefs88842

I guess I don't understand how Emby is able to scan my library for movies and add the metadata in those folders? I added a movie today and it added metadata in realtime.

Are there any threads that explain how to confirm that write access is granted to an external hard drive? 

In windows, right click on that drive letter in my computer. Choose properties. Click on the sharing tab. Click advanced sharing button. Check the share this folder box (shares the entire drive) then click the permissions button. Make sure everybody has full control, change, and read access. Hit apply. Then ok. Then hit apply again and okay. That should do it. Done.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Edited by speechles
  • Like 1

gochiefs88842

Mine already had sharing enabled.  I did go into the permissions box within that section and added check boxes next to "change" and "full control" just to see if that was the issue.  Restarting server, will confirm in a sec.

gochiefs88842

Okay, this allowed me to manually add episode thumbs.  It still appears, however, that the library scan does not pick up on missing thumbs from previously added series, however (e.g., old seasons that were missing episode thumbs, background images, etc.).  Aside from the thread that I hyperlinked in my first post in this thread, is there any way to have Emby automatically recognize via library scan that old folders are still missing desired artwork/metadata?  Or basically if it is not picked up in the initial scan when the media is first added to the library, you will have to go back and manually add the missing metadata?

Edited by gochiefs88842

you can do a refresh at the series or season level if you like, or even a higher folder. this will force refreshes from the internet. once content has been imported, the normal scan is only looking for changes, so that's why it's not reacting.

Delete your library paths. The run the clean database task. Now add them all back. This should recreate whatever was missing. The scan may take longer this time. Just let it finish.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

• Like 1