Subtitles stops working after one play

keem85

Does anyone have the same issue as me? If I play a movie/tvshow and exit the movie, and then start a new one (or the same one), the subtitles are no longer working.. I have to kill kodi and restart it in order for the subtitle to display themselves

Edited by keem85

Angelblue05

Can't say that I've seen or have seen anyone report this issue. 

Which playback mode? Is the subtitles setting enabled in the video player when it no longer works? Was it working fine previously? Are they external subtitles? Does it do this for all your content? So many questions ;)

• Like 1

Can't say that I've seen or have seen anyone report this issue. 

Which playback mode? Is the subtitles setting enabled in the video player when it no longer works? Was it working fine previously? Are they external subtitles? Does it do this for all your content? So many questions ;)

Haha! It's fine :) Yes it's working on the first play, but not the second and third, unless I restart Kodi.. I'm using opensubtitles, and I have set it to auto-download the subtitle.. And I know the subtitles are functioning, since they work the first time.. It does so for all my contents.. I'm using the latest Kodi with Zephyr skin. The subtitles as I said is auto downloading.. This also happened before I turned on the auto-function. Kodi says that the subtitle is enabled and showing, but it's not showing physically, unless I restart.

• Like 1

Are you using the beta version of the emby add-on or stable? Do you use direct paths? Let me know.

Hi, yes I'm using the beta.. Maybe that's the problem? :)

EDIT: Direct path, by that you mean path substitiotion off? No I have actually turned on path substitution

Edited by keem85

Angelblue05

Ok, if you are using beta, the setting is named Playback Mode: Addon | Native (Let me know which it's set on, under the add-on settings > sync option tab)

I will have to test. I'll let you know what I find.

• Like 1

Ok, if you are using beta, the setting is named Playback Mode: Addon | Native (Let me know which it's set on, under the add-on settings > sync option tab)

I will have to test. I'll let you know what I find.

Cool. I'm at home in five hours, I will check and then reply here :)

• Like 1

Angelblue05

Yes, thanks. Ok, can you do a quick test for me because I found that not all tracks/subs were imported correctly. Make sure you are running the version 1.1.76. Can you run a repair sync or a reset by launching the emby add-on? This is only to force to reimport your audio and subtitles tracks into Kodi. Restart Kodi and test to see if your issue is resolved. Thanks.

Edited by Angelblue05

Yes, thanks. Ok, can you do a quick test for me because I found that not all tracks/subs were imported correctly. Make sure you are running the version 1.1.76. Can you run a repair sync or a reset by launching the emby add-on? This is only to force to reimport your audio and subtitles tracks into Kodi. Restart Kodi and test to see if your issue is resolved. Thanks.

Ok, I'm gonna try that when I get home. But actually, in my case I am downloading the subtitles manually from opensubtitles.org (menu button on the kodi remote app, and then choosing "download subtitles").. I have chosen a functioning share on my server/pc where the subtitles can be downloaded to.. 

It works the first time I am downloading it from the subtitles-function in Kodi, but not the next time.. I suspect a bug in Kodi maybe.. Not sure

• Like 1

Angelblue05

Oh! I just understood what you meant. You use opensubtitles in Kodi, not in Emby. Forget the manual sync, it's not going to help with this. I have tested just now, downloaded an external subtitles for a movie via opensubtitles in Kodi. The file is saved within the movie's folder. I then stopped the movie, started it again and the subtitles was there and playing.

Can you try something? In Kodi, as you are playing content, go into the audio/subtitles settings. Make sure Enable subtitles is enabled, then scroll at the bottom of the settings and click "Set as default for all Videos". Then see if the subtitles sticks after one play. Can you also confirm the subtitles saves within the movie's folder? Let me know (I can't reproduce the issue).

Does anyone else experience this issue?

Edited by Angelblue05

Oh! I just understood what you meant. You use opensubtitles in Kodi, not in Emby. Forget the manual sync, it's not going to help with this. I have tested just now, downloaded an external subtitles for a movie via opensubtitles in Kodi. The file is saved within the movie's folder. I then stopped the movie, started it again and the subtitles was there and playing.

Can you try something? In Kodi, as you are playing content, go into the audio/subtitles settings. Make sure Enable subtitles is enabled, then scroll at the bottom of the settings and click "Set as default for all Videos". Then see if the subtitles sticks after one play. Can you also confirm the subtitles saves within the movie's folder? Let me know (I can't reproduce the issue).

Does anyone else experience this issue?

Cool, will try it as soon as I get home.. It might be a Kodi thing rather than Emby.. However I have chosen a seperate subtitle folder "D:\Subditles\" for this matter.. I will ALSO try to revert back to "Download subtitles to movie folder" and see what happens.. :)

Angelblue05

Yes, if it goes directly to the movies folder, then it should hopefully work correctly - the add-on appends the external subtitles to the player in the following plays. I believe to actually reuse subtitles, it needs to be inside the movie's folder. Otherwise, it's treated as a temp subtitles that technically, you'd want to delete at a later time. 

I think I got it working by adding the subtitles to the same folder.. I will have to continue using it and see if it stays like that.

Dvinge I'm connected to the server share I think. Using path substitution on my server, and emby plugin with default settings.

• Like 1

Tested again yesterday, and nope, the subtitles disappear. I even have up to four subtitles within one movie/episode folder, and as I switch between them, nothing appears.. It's very strange..

But again I don't think it's related to Emby.

• 1 month later...
Rapid1898

Hallo,

yesterday i have the same problem as you with the Kodi version 14.1. on my Fire TV - problem as described by @@keem85

Initally after kodi reboot everything works fine and i can see the subtitles - when i stop and start the serie there are no subtitles.

Tried this also with my Windows-Kodiversion - there the problem did not exist.

Only on my Fire TVs.

Angelblue05

Can you confirm that enable subtitles is enabled when it doesn't display (via the OSD when you are playing content, go to the audio icon where you can select the audio/subtitles track)? Let me know

I really think this is a Kodi/Subtitle issue rather than an Emby issue actually. But lately I haven't had this problem (strangely) after I started using Zephyr Exploded that comes with the Emby stable package. So maybe you need to use Emby stable.. Try it, and confirm wether it works or not? So we can find out if it's a Kodi issue or Emby  :)

Edited by keem85