Will Emby Theater require constant internet connection?

the1poet
Go to solution Solved by swhitmore,

the1poet

I have been checking back every now and then to see the progress on Emby Theater.

The latest version has piqued my interest due to it's current improvements, as the windows client had been the main reason why I hadn't seriously considered moving to Emby.

Now, onto my question...

I have been using Plex for over a year now and have been mostly happy, but the fact that the moment my internet connection dies I lose access to my media, drives me insane.

If I move to Emby Theater, I will definitely look at going for a lifetime licence (as I believe in supporting developers).

My question is, will the moment I lose Internet connection result in me losing access to my media like Plex currently does?

If so, I don't see a reason in making the move.

Thanks

• Solution
swhitmore

Nah, an offline version of the beta will be released soon. Currently the beta is a live app that requires an internet connection for deployment and testing purposes.

In the meantime, you can use the existing Emby Theatre version that will work offline.

• Like 1

the1poet

Nah, an offline version of the beta will be released soon. Currently the beta is a live app that requires an internet connection for deployment and testing purposes.

In the meantime, you can use the existing Emby Theatre version that will work offline.

Does this also apply to the Emby Server?

I paid for a month access to test it out and they give you a key. I'm guessing it doesn't need to phone home constantly? (i.e. require constant internet connection as well)

Emby server does not require an internet connection. The only Emby app that requires the internet is Chromecast because all Chromecast receivers have to be registered with Google.

As Scott said, when all is said and done this new version of Emby Theater will not require a connection. It does right now just because that makes things easier for us during this initial period of rapid change and development.

• Like 2

the1poet

Emby server does not require an internet connection. The only Emby app that requires the internet is Chromecast because all Chromecast receivers have to be registered with Google.

As Scott said, when all is said and done this new version of Emby Theater will not require a connection. It does right now just because that makes things easier for us during this initial period of rapid change and development.

Thanks both of you for the quick responses. I have an almost 2 year old son whose sleep is all over the place at the moment.

It's a nightmare when he wakes up at 2am and my wife is too tired to entertain him and the internet is down... thus Plex won't work.

Here's to Emby fixing that!   :D

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
omarmoss

Hi,

So these posts are from back in January. Any news on this offline version yet?

I still can't use Emby Theatre on my Windows 10 laptop without being connected to the internet, which sucks when travelling.

Thanks.

Guest asrequested

Development is happening pretty quickly, right now. So for now they are keeping this way, so the developments get applied quickly.

We'll get to it. I've heard more feedback about other areas this far so that's where the efforts have been focused

TroyBennett

The existing Emby theater version you want is the legacy version....is down a little from the main download link here http://www.emby.media/emby-theater.html

• 9 months later...

So, I tried to use the app offline, and to start the app I had to have an internet connection.  (Windows 10 Emby App).  I can set it to downolad a movie for offiline use.... and that works... but it needs a connection before i can use it offline??? Am I simply missing something?

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you @@Luke.   If I turn off wifi then open the app, it asks me to select a server or I can choose the option for Downloaded Media (the downloaded media option wasn't even an option in my previous post).  When I choose Downloaded Media, It shows the Downloaded Media, but when I select the downloaded movie, it cycles back around to Select My Server.  Its just a vicious cycle.  I'd say the movie wasn't downloaded completely, but when I check in settings, the movie shows to be 100% downloaded, but until I sign in.... it will not let me play it.  When I sign it and start the movie, I can cut wifi off and the movie will play fine all the way through.  Since it appears to be on the device and it does play, I'm guessing there's something I'm missing that's causing this, or.... the app isn't able to play it 100% offline.

Edited by Flash

• 2 months later...

Any update on the ability to stream while not connected to the internet?

I have installed Emby sever on my MacBook Pro, and purchased the iOS app for my iPad, however streaming only works while I'm connected to a network that has internet access. If I connect both devices to a wireless network that only has local access (no internet access), the play button in the iPad app no longer works.

I am NOT using Emby Connect. I am connecting the iPad app directly to the sever using its IP address.

I purchased the app with the understanding that this would work without internet access, however this does not seem to be the case.

hi @, the app does not require internet access. Why do you feel that it does? Can we go over that a little bit more? Thanks !

hi @, the app does not require internet access. Why do you feel that it does? Can we go over that a little bit more? Thanks !

Thanks for the quick reply, Luke!

As I mentioned, when I connect both the MBP and iPad to a wireless network that has no internet access, the play button in the iPad app no longer works. I can connect to the server, and I can browse the library, but the play button doesn't work when I click it.

If I switch back to a wireless network that DOES have internet access, the play button works just fine.

What do you mean by doesn't' work? What happens when you click it?

I've had a couple of different results so far. Sometimes I click it and nothing at all happens. Other times, I click it and I get the spinning circle like it's thinking about something, but nothing happens (it just keeps spinning). A handful of times it will show a still image of a scene from the movie, but fails to actually play the movie.

Ok so that just looks like an error of some sort. Best thing to do is please attach the information requested in how to report a media playback issue.

Please note, the app does have to periodically validate your purchase, so if you happen to be catching it at that time, then that could explain why it won't play. But once you do validate, simply by playing while connected, then from there you should be able to unplug without any problem.

thanks !

Ok so that just looks like an error of some sort. Best thing to do is please attach the information requested in how to report a media playback issue.

Please note, the app does have to periodically validate your purchase, so if you happen to be catching it at that time, then that could explain why it won't play. But once you do validate, simply by playing while connected, then from there you should be able to unplug without any problem.

thanks !

So I did some more testing, and here's what I found. I have four iPads - 2 older full-size iPads (around 5-6 years old) and 2 newer iPad minis (about a year old). The problems seemed to be isolated to the iPad minis, whereas I was able to get the the older full-size iPads working as follows...

I connected the MBP (which hosts the movie library and Emby server) and both iPads to an internet connected wireless network, and started streaming movies to each iPad. I then disconnect all three devices from the internet connected wireless network, and reconnected them to another wireless network with local access only. This sequence of events seems to work reliably, and I was able to stream two different movies (in entirety) to two iPads simultaneously. We're leaving town on a road trip tomorrow, and I want the kids to be able to stream movies from the laptop to two headrest mounted iPads, via an Apple AirPort Express stashed away in the center console. I run an application on the laptop that prevents it from going to sleep when the lid is closed, so we can plug it into a power outlet in the front of the truck then tuck it beside the front passenger seat.

Thanks again for the quick reply and confirming that it should work without internet access.

Yes it should. What you should do is use each one tonight once to play a video. Once you've successfully done that, then you should be able to pull the network connection after that. Let us know if this helps. Thanks.

all4dom

Et is still not working without an Internet connection. I'm having my roof done & they cut the cable line. Right now my wife & I are watching Et through the browser. I was able to figure it out but my wife would have never gotten it to work. While reading this post I see it goes back to last year & am wondering will a non Internet version be released any time soon?

Thanks

Dom

Emby Theater does not require an internet connection after initial installation. If you're having difficulty, the best thing to do is start by seeing how to report a problem. Thanks !