New Chocolate List View

ewcrider

ewcrider

As stated above, the images' aspect ratios are off right now.  How about a more gradual transition from the grey list background to the backdrop, like it is in the details page (also gradual in coverflow)?

Honestly, I've been wanting a list view like this for a long time, so thank you. :)

steelman1991

Latest update to Chocolate seems to have affected the Season List - wrong aspect ratio on Season covers see below

52ab7bd338054_MBWrongAspect.png

• Like 1

WWWestern

Right side is too "havy" IMO. Why not shift thumb to left column's basement? Then free up more space for overview and less overlaps the backdrop. "Ends 2:46pm" I would place over backdrop in clock style. Duplicate ep name right side is also is not necessary.

Could you have that episode list slide out on left arrow press, if closed, and slide back in on "enter" press / selection? Menu closed could bring the entire overview and episode name to screen.left allowing for more backdrop to show?

Edited by chef

gthrift

Getting the same aspect ratio issue mentioned before.

I'm also not crazy about the gradient to the right of the list that covers the left side of the backdrop. Maybe make the right most side of the list fade instead?

I fixed the image sizing problem and also the fact that some spacers showed when there were no values to space.

As for the transitions, I had already tried with a softer effect and, I really believe, that the screen starts to get a bit messy when there is no clear delineation between the list and the information area.  I think the harder transition makes it all fit a bit better as it is clear that the list is an entity and the counter belongs to it and the other information is all one thing as well.

This, to me, looks much less organized:

52abd5d6bc08c_choclistnotrans.png

WWWestern

I still believe that the right side graphically overloaded, which contrasts with a blank (mostly) on the left basement. On the screen in three ways reported number of the episode, twice about the title of the episode and not once about the season (season banners are rare). The most important information about the end of playing is hidden in a string of unnecessary info at the bottom, in addition to a overlaping by controls of the player. At all I do not see the play button.

List view, I believe, should be as simplistic as possible and contain only very essential info.

Don't know how it would work with the theme as a whole but I think it looks kinda cool with a soft bevel on the left column. This was just  quick and dirty ... might not be enough contrast to really show up on a darker monitor.

52ac5ce573a95_ChocolateSoftBevel2.jpg

List view, I believe, should be as simplistic as possible and contain only very essential info.

Actually, the list view is designed to be just the opposite - a way of seeing more information on the item.  If you want a minimal view then there are all the other options.

Don't know how it would work with the theme as a whole but I think it looks kinda cool with a soft bevel on the left column. This was just  quick and dirty ... might not be enough contrast to really show up on a darker monitor.

Sorry, but we are moving away from 3D effects like that and towards a flatter, more modern look.

Sorry, but we are moving away from 3D effects like that and towards a flatter, more modern look.

Yeah ... realized that didn't work after I'd already made the post. Morning caffeine hadn't kicked in yet .... 

• 2 weeks later...

That is difficult because the special actually belongs in two places, both season 0 and within the season it aired in. You also can't create a sort name using just single a episode because you could have multiple specials between episodes. So that sort of thing would require comparisons across the whole list. I think getting them all recursively and piecing them together client side is going to be difficult. if you can't pull them individually then i think a dedicated endpoint for this purpose is going to be needed.

That is an issue with the data or the server.  Those specials are reported as belonging there in that series/season.

Oh, hang on - are you saying the difference between the listing under the actual series and what shows in the overview area?

WWWestern

Oh, hang on - are you saying the difference between the listing under the actual series and what shows in the overview area?

Yes. 

Another point: numbering of the specials is confusing. It is advisable to speсials were somehow different from the usual episodes. this also applies to the server. 

For example:

$ - Special episode one
3 - Regular episode three
$ - Special episode two

or

{1} - Special episode one
3 - Regular episode three
{2) - Special episode two

or use color.

This feature of specials getting inserted into the middle of seasons is new functionality by the API.  I'm not sure exactly how we will handle it in MBC other than having it do what it is now.

We only have an integer index number for episodes, so I don't know how we accurately put things in between them.

@@Luke - When these specials are delivered in-line with the other episodes, what is their index number and is there some way that I know it is a special and not an actual episode?

Yea check if parent index number is 0 and perhaps label as a special without a number. That's what the web ient does. The index number will be the normal special number. Its not a number that should be used within the season. The normal episode numbers are not shifted by the presence of a special.

The problem is going to be how to know where to put it in the list.  MBC just understands sorting by name and the server currently delivers us sort names on episodes that make that easy (001 - Episode name).

Would it be possible to have the server create a proper sort name for these specials as well (something like 001.5 Special between 1 and 2)?

• 2 weeks later...
Osmosis

Is there any way to disable this feature of inserting specials into regular seasons? also when scrolling through the seasons the banner for that season appears in the top left corner partially or completely covering the series logo that is also placed there if there is multiple seasons( since the season banners are allready displayed and the season you are currently looking at is also hilighted i don'r really see a reason for having the same banner repeated on the screen, if it only partially covers the logo then that corner looks a bit messy.)

Edited by Osmosis

The insertion of the specials is a server-side thing.  I think you would need to remove the Airs before/after information in the metadata for those items to make them now show up.

Can you give me a screen shot of the banner/logo problem?

Osmosis

thanks for the info on turning off the season episode insertion thing. it's a nice idea for series that have specials integral to the story but since i have no series like that it just sort of looks messy to me (not putting down the feature mind you, just something i personally don't need) as for the extra season banner obstructing the logo, it only happens on series with more than 1 season, it seems if the series has a single season then no logo is displayed and only  the banner is shown.

2rhwfi8.jpg