FR-ET Add Audio Delay for 24 Hz Playback

Warner306

Warner306

Greetings, I have a feature request.

Is it possible to add an option to set audio delays based on the display refresh rate (24 Hz, 60 Hz, etc.)?

I have audio sync issues with 24 Hz playback. I am certain this is due to the processing added by my Samsung LED in this mode. The delay is a constant 125 ms across all program material.

Plex Media Player is purported to offer this feature:

"Allows for different audio delay depending on video framerate (23.976 Hz vs. the rest)"

Link (bullet #9)

Kodi also offers support for audio delays based on display refresh rate via its advanced settings:

"Override latency for given display (not video) refresh rates. When Kodi is in windowed mode, override is ignored. Multiple overrides are allowed."

Link (annotated description of this feature)

Link (advancedsettings.xml - latency)

There is an entire thread dedicated to 24p audio sync issues in the Kodi forums:

24p and audio sync issues

Thanks for your time!

• Like 2

Jdiesel

This is a very common problem with many setups. My temporary solution was to split the difference in audio delay between 24hz and 60hz refreshrates with a delay of 80ms on my AVR. This means that both 24fps and 30fps videos are slightly out of sync but I can deal with that. It would be nice to have this option and get perfect sync on all framerates.

• 1 month later...
Jdiesel

Bumping this for visibility. Hopefully this is something that can be incorporated soon. 

• Like 1

AdrianW

I have audio sync issues with 24 Hz playback. ...The delay is a constant 125 ms across all program material.

What do you guys use to determine the delay? I sometime have a slight sync issue - but end up having to use trial and error to fix it.

Jdiesel

If you have a smart phone capable of recording slow motion video (120fps) with audio you can use it to record the an audio sync test video for a more accurate measurement than your ears alone.  I like to use the WOW Disney calibration Bluray's audio sync test or any movie with a scene that has a sharp, distinct sound that can be linked to the video like a sword fight. If you really wanted to eliminate the trial and error completely you could probably count the number of individual frames that the audio is out (at 120fps each frame is 8.3ms) but I prefer to fine tune it by measuring and adjusting.

An example recording from my phone:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/v285lfbxpat9kal/trim.479C1EE3-78F5-462B-86F5-7F4CE56F398E.MOV?dl=0

Edited by Jdiesel
  • Like 1