Photo

Scan extremely slow - re-extracting all chapter thumbnails?

chapters thumbnails

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 AdrianW OFFLINE  

AdrianW

Advanced Member

• Super Testers
  • 2461 posts
  • Local time: 11:09 PM
  • LocationPerth, Australia

Posted 11 January 2016 - 09:00 PM

I started a scan yesterday and for some reason it decided to take hours and hours instead of minutes. I had to leave it running overnight - and eight hours later it was still only a touch over 50% complete.

Yesterday evening I couldn't use emby at all. All of the images had gone (I guess because the scan had completed) - I just got black rectangles everywhere (in MBC, ET and the server). Note: I have all my metadata and images stored locally with my content and download artwork and metadata is turned off.

I was on 3.0.5851.25344 and this morning I've updated to 3.0.5854.21433.

Today I've turned off chapter extraction during scans - restarted the scan (again), and it's going quicker - but still slow. About 5% in 20 minutes, so at least it'll finish today.

Now it seems any content that has been scanned today does not have chapter images, even though everything did have chapter images previously.

#2 AdrianW OFFLINE  

AdrianW

Advanced Member

• Super Testers
  • 2461 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 09:35 PM

Well, the scan finished.  :)

I'll now try running the chapter image extraction task separately.

What would cause chapter thumbs to disappear?

#3 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 140578 posts
  • Local time: 10:09 AM

Posted 11 January 2016 - 10:27 PM

I'm not sure. it shouldn't have happened. maybe related to offline

#4 Tranquil OFFLINE  

Tranquil

Advanced Member

• Alpha Testers
  • 439 posts
  • Local time: 03:09 PM
  • LocationEurope, GER

Posted 12 January 2016 - 03:44 AM

That's the same for me since some versions ago. I thought it has something to do with a feature, which seems to be removed and was enabled before.

There was an option to improve transcoding, If enabled, scan should takes longer. Now, I can not find this option any longer but it was enabled until it disappeared.

What I also noticed:

Yesterday I added a bunch of media to a folder and I saw, that the percentage of the scan progress was jumpy. It jumped some percents back, then again forward, back, forward...

Maybe more then one scan thread was running and reporting progress to the main thread? This can also slow down scans if your hard drive is busy.

#5 shorty1483 OFFLINE  

shorty1483

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 1379 posts
  • Local time: 04:09 PM
  • LocationGermany

Posted 12 January 2016 - 04:20 AM

I'm not sure. it shouldn't have happened. maybe related to offline

In December, my Dev Server updated several times without finishing. The update.zip was downloaded an when I clicked on restart the server shut down but the new System folder inside update.zip never got unzipped to replace the old one. When I started the server manually, it was still the version before updating with the difference that all library data was lost, incl. Chapter Images. The rescan was not a big thing since I store all data possible with the files. The chapter images disappearing was the reason to open the feature request  http://emby.media/co...n-media-folder/based on the problems above http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/27826-sometimes-problems-when-updating-dev-server/

• AdrianW likes this

#6 AdrianW OFFLINE  

AdrianW

Advanced Member

• Super Testers
  • 2461 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 04:34 AM

I didn't notice any issues updating the server - but I guess that could have happened. But, I've never had all my chapters disappear on me before.

Note: The chapter scan that I started seven hours ago has managed to reach 59%, and a bunch of chapters would have already been built earlier whilst I was running a library scan for over eight hours.

#7 AdrianW OFFLINE  

AdrianW

Advanced Member

• Super Testers
  • 2461 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 11:19 AM

Well, the chapter extract finally finished - for a total run time of around 12 hours. 

I hope that doesn't happen again.

Edited by AdrianW, 12 January 2016 - 11:20 AM.

#8 AdrianW OFFLINE  

AdrianW

Advanced Member

• Super Testers
  • 2461 posts

Posted 01 February 2016 - 10:40 AM

@Luke - doing some investigation with the metadata path changes - I've found to following:

I found chapter thumbnail files in the following three locations (which one is the current correct location?):

• ...\MediaBrowser-Server\metadata\library (mine contains 2096 files)
  • ...\MediaBrowser-Server\data\metadata (there are 256 of those 2 hex character folder names at this level) (352,599 files - 8.64GB!)
  • ...\MediaBrowser-Server\data\metadata\library (193,354 files)

And now they're being built in a fourth location now that I've set the metadata path to by old ImagesByName folder on my NAS.

I guess the location has been redefined in multiple different builds - but it's hard to know which is the most recent / correct (probably the middle one considering how many files are there).

I'd really like to leave the chapter thumbnails on the server but I prefer the people folder on my NAS where it's always been (mainly because I still use metabrowser to grab people images and it's easier if they're on the same device as my library).

I guess the ultimate solution would be for chapter images to be stored alongside the videos which would save them ever having to be re-extracted and would also allow manual replacement for those that turn out all black.

• Happy2Play and shorty1483 like this

#9 AdrianW OFFLINE  

AdrianW

Advanced Member

• Super Testers
  • 2461 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 10:54 AM

I've now copied ALL of the chapter images over to my NAS. I've confirmed that any new content gets it's chapters generated and stored on my NAS.

BUT, if I run a chapter extract it starts re-extracting and replacing the existing chapter files. Why doesn't it just detect the existence of the images in the new location?

• Olywa123 likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: chapters, thumbnails

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users