Saving metadata into folders

Kubla Khan

Kubla Khan

I have been using Media Browser, now Emby, for 2 years but I have never been a tinkerer until now. Everything has worked well as far as viewing etc.

I now find that while all banners, posters, fanart, etc. is saved in the media folders all the people are saved in Users/myname/appdate/roaming/emby-server/metadata/people Then an alphabetical list.  There must be 5000 people in there.

I have checked "save artwork and metadata into folders".  What am I doing wrong and how do I fix it?

I know from a previous post that the data stored on my server cannot be moved.

I have checked the threads and there is a lot being said but I couldn't find anything definitive.

Kubla

Koleckai Silvestri

You're not doing anything wrong. People objects are stored on their own. If you stored the people within the Movie folders and had 50 Bruce Willis movie, then you would have 50 copies of Bruce Willis to deal with. 

You can move that Metadata folder by setting the path under Metadata -> Advanced in the dashboard.

• Like 2

Deathsquirrel

It's definitely worth backing up your people folder once in a while.  That thing can take forever to replace.

Happy2Play

At 52GB currently, just this how much space would be used if actors where per movie.

Kubla Khan

Thanks to all and great answers.  Jokes on me.  I didn't think about the implication of putting Bruce Willis in all his movie folders. 

I did check on Bruce and his people file is 1.23 MB.  I said 5000 people, that's a joke too.  There are 681 in the "B" folder alone.

Another question:  I recently fired up another server and copied all my movie files to it just as they were on server 1.  That worked fine. 

Can I copy the ImagesByName file to the same position on the new server to get all the people on that server?

Thanks again

Kubla

Can I copy the ImagesByName file to the same position on the new server to get all the people on that server?

You mean the Metadata folder (as we call it now)...

Yes, or you could host that on a network drive and point them both to the same location.